Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Are you practicing Schwarzbein Principle and how long (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=433656)

never2late Mon, Sep-19-11 17:26

Are you practicing Schwarzbein Principle and how long

I'm working towards the Schwarzbein Principle and do not see those who follow this instead of Atkins or another low carb. Did you just incorporate or take what you wanted from Schwarzbein rather than follow it. I want to live long enough to see my granddaughter grow up and there seems to be some things in Atkins I can't do without the pancreas and being a Type 1 diabetic now.
Do you feel healthier??

never2late Thu, Dec-01-11 23:31

Still working SPII into my WOE. Am starting to feel a difference in how I feel. Do have a problem with being allowed some carbs and then cravings for more and more. Let it get away from me. Knew I would gain and that SPII says it will happen, just didn't like it. Went back to very low carb and started loosing the energy I'd gain. Learning something new all the time now.

amandawald Tue, Dec-20-11 14:02

Hi there!

I think SPII is a very good plan, although a little rigid. It taught me that a few carbs are actually a very good thing!!!

Have you thought about staying away from wheat??? Wheat products tend to have that more-ish effect more than other sources of starchy carbs, such as potatoes or rice. Also it is good to have your carbs plain and not too tasty so that you're not tempted to have too much.

I know I would definitely eat more potato chips than, say, a bowl of plain white rice if I had to choose!!!

I'll try to check in again, hang on in there!

amanda

Krystalcat Tue, Feb-07-12 12:37

I just ordered the three books as it looks closer to what I need.

oldsquaw69 Fri, Feb-17-12 05:09

I've been doing low carb/high fat for donkeys years and I'm still the same weight.

So just dug out my SP books 1 and 11 and got the cookbook. I LOVE the idea of having to eat some carbs at every meal and at least will die happy, even if I don't lose weight :-)

Krystalcat Sat, Feb-18-12 08:06

I finished all three books and plan to begin Sunday on it. Already doing a bit of it today. I think it's more healthier in the long run for me - especially how she talks about the horomones etc needing to be balanced. I found with low carbs that I would lose about 3-5 pounds and then get stuck there. And then I wasn't feeling happy or well, always cold and upset. So, I'm with you on it, Oldsqaw69!

oldsquaw69 Sun, Feb-19-12 14:21

Good O, Krystalcat. Nice to have someone else doing it too.

So far I'm loving it - only started it a few days ago. And I haven't gained any extra weight yet, like she says I might.

You've got to eat protein with every meal tho. And since I need to cut down the cheese, and also on the dark red meats, it's a bit difficult to think what to have for my next meal.

Are you diabetic ?

knorris47 Sun, Feb-19-12 22:47

I am very interested in this way of eating. I have been low carb for 4+ yrs, since finding out I was diabetic. Find it hard, hard, hard to not eat some carbs. I heard it said one time that a person has more organs that need the be thot about than the pancreas. LOL Will be interested in what you all's outcome and thinking is. Karen

knorris47 Sun, Feb-19-12 22:49

Need to get the books and read them. Someone said 3 books. I know of the SP and the NSP but not a third one. Could someone tell me the same of it? Thanks

Krystalcat Mon, Feb-20-12 07:49

Yes, I am diabetic. Along with a bunch of other stuff (autoimmune etc) I got an appoint end of March with a doc to check out my hormone levels and thyroid etc so that will help.
I can't bring myself to eating carbs at every meal and snack as she says, I'm struggling with that. But I am having carbs more -and I'm feeling better. Same with watching the protein levels. Today officially is day two so I can't say much about it. I hope to increase the carbs over time to each meal. I swing between Schwarzbein and the Opitmal levels that JK wrote. Hopefully my body will tell me! ha ha.
The books are 1. Schwarzbein Principle, 2. Schwarzbein Principle II, and 3. The Program. Then she has two cookbooks, but I don't have them.
I still like Schwarzbein as it talks more of being healthy then dieting only.
Well, OldSquaw69 and Karen (if you are on board) let's see where she takes us!!! :)

Enomarb Mon, Feb-20-12 08:39

I loved her books too- one of the BEST bits of info for me was when she says to trust your body and it will settle into a weight that is healthy for you if you eat the right way and correct the damage you have done.
I really needed to hear that when I first did LC.

E

oldsquaw69 Mon, Feb-20-12 12:41

I must say I'm finding it quite difficult to eat protein at every meal and snack, at the same time as a carb. But after doing very very low carb for so long, this is sheer heaven.

Agree Eno - she does say some good things !

Hope you find you like it too, knorris47.

Krystalcat Mon, Feb-20-12 13:09

see, now that's something that confused me. I can do the meat at meals, but for snacks I use nut butters. I know she said nuts and nutbutters were better as a snack in her book. But I can't figure out if I'm to count it as carb and protein or just carb. In her book she says to count as a carb. This afternoon's snack is celery and sunflower butter. How do you use nut butters - if you do use them?

oldsquaw69 Tue, Feb-21-12 09:58

We don't have nut butters here in the UK, so I don't know much about them. I'd have thought they were more fats than anything ?

I've made some little oat & egg pancakes - I'm just grabbing one of those for my snacks ! Pretty boring tho !

When I next go to the shops I'll try to find something more suitable. Difficult not being able to use bought cold meats tho -not that I'd want to - they're so processed and sugared here.

Maybe it will take us a while to get the hang of this !

knorris47 Tue, Feb-21-12 10:51

typed a big long message and the server was to busy.