Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   The Athletic Adventures of Miss Pi (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=445821)

ImOnMyWay Fri, Aug-24-12 19:27

The Athletic Adventures of Miss Pi

I'm starting a gym log to keep track of my exercise. I NEED to get more exercise.

Today's virtuous activity:

Upper Body Workout at the gym

10 minutes brisk walk on the treadmill for warm up

Gym Machines:

Weight x Reps x Sets

Machines:
30# x 10 x 3 Chest Press
40# x 12 x 3 Back Row*
20# x 10 x 3 Lat pulldown

*I don't know what this is really called. It's a machine where you sit on a bench with your feet at 90° to your torso and put your feet on these plates. Then you pull the cable close to your body and let it back slowly. I lean forward to give my back a good stretch and the bottom of the stroke.

With 5# dumbbell in each hand, and bench:

5 x 10 x 3 Butterfly Press (lying down)
5 x 10 x 3 Shoulder Press (seated upright)
5 x 10 x 3 Bicep Curls (Palm up, Hammer, Palm Down) (standing)
5 x 12 x 3 Tricep throwback (hand and knee of one leg on bench)

I know these weights are low, but it's the most I can handle and still get in the reps and sets with good form.

A little more cardio:

10 minutes dancing with my iPod (salsa)

10 minutes stretching, some yoga

Sit ups: 20 x 2

With exception to the mild headache I walked in with, which I still had when I left, I felt very good after this workout.

I need to get a better way to carry my iPhone. Today, since my pants had no pockets, I tucked it into my waistband. Most unattractive.

ImOnMyWay Fri, Aug-24-12 19:31

Motivation

I am doing “sport specific” training right now: I want to improve my upper body strength. My goal is to learn how to wind surf next summer, as well as go white water rafting. I’d like to join an amateur rowing team for fun.

I also want to improve my swimming (survival skill).

I don’t know why I’m so interested in water sports, but what the hey.

ImOnMyWay Sun, Aug-26-12 23:10

A bit of cardio at the gym today:

10 minutes elyptical stepper; 10 min treadmill; 10 minutes recumbent cycle. A few minutes of stretching thereafter.

I discovered that I HAVE to wear my orthopedic inserts when I go to the gym: my feet were hurting even after this small amount of endurance activity. Also my knees, a bit. I think the inserts will alleviate this.

Also, my feet were going numb at the end of the cycling. I'll try upright cycling instead, we'll see how that goes.

going to research sports training for windsurfing.

ImOnMyWay Sun, Aug-26-12 23:30

Windsurfing fitness

ImOnMyWay Sun, Aug-26-12 23:55

apparently, you need good all-around conditioning to be good at windsurfing, and windsurfing is a good all-around workout. No sport for sissies. I've got my work cut out for me!

A bit sore from Friday's upper body workout. I should try to make time to use the jacuzzi at the gym, post-workout, to reduce lactic acid build-up.

ImOnMyWay Tue, Aug-28-12 00:17

I was in Santa Monica today. Since the beach was only 2 blocks away, I put on my all-terrain sandals and headed out. It was, like, a mile from the parking lot to the water. My sandals filled up with sand. I poured the sand out of my sandals (do sandals attract sand?), rolled up my pant legs and walked a bit through the surf, then took off my shoes, which were useless at that point. It felt so good to walk barefoot in the sand, with the cool water swirling around my legs. The temperature was perfect. I unplugged and listened to the waves.

Oddly enough, I didn’t have any pain in my feet walking barefoot at the beach. I have to wear orthotic insoles in my shoes when I go to the gym.

The only people there were the tourists. Ha!

Walked 2.2 miles, with an average speed of 1.2 mph (I did pause occasionally).

I rinsed off my shoes and legs at the freshwater shower. Walked barefoot (carefully) on the boardwalk, but had to put my shoes back on for the sidewalk. The concrete was too hot to go barefoot.

I need to do a lot more endurance training. I know I’m going to feel this in my hip flexors tomorrow. I'm a little sore now!

ImOnMyWay Fri, Jan-17-14 13:00

Well, time to re-start this log.

I've been taking walks. Usually outside, unless its really miserable. Neighborhood walks, walks along the river. Twenty to forty minutes per day, around 2.5mph.

It's still my dream to windsurf some day. Could this be the year?

Baby steps.

ImOnMyWay Mon, Jan-20-14 00:19

Fifteen minute walk today, before settling in to watch the NFC playoff game. :)

ImOnMyWay Tue, Jan-21-14 09:06

30 min walk in the neighborhood yesterday, 2.5mph. It was coooooold! Still, I liked it, the fresh air, the architecture. :)

ImOnMyWay Mon, Jan-27-14 21:26

Video for future ref:

LC diets and building muscle

Exercise today was housecleaning. ;)

ImOnMyWay Wed, Jan-29-14 00:18

Exercise today was 45 min. housecleaning. I've been a little under the weather - a cold? Plenty of coughing and mucus. So I've stayed in a lot since Sunday.

ImOnMyWay Mon, Feb-03-14 07:10

Saturday I did an exercise vid called "chair dancing!" It was boring and cheesy, but it counts as exercise!

Yesterday's exercise was house cleaning.

ImOnMyWay Sat, Feb-08-14 00:16

The last few days my exercise was house cleaning, but today:

45 minutes of dance videos!

Trusylver Sat, Feb-08-14 14:32

Well Done !!

ImOnMyWay Wed, Feb-12-14 10:26

35 minutes walk yesterday, at a moderate pace (3 mph)! It was sooooooo good to get out of the house and exercise in the fresh air!