Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Burn more calories? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=296625)

alarionov Fri, May-12-06 08:16

Burn more calories?

does anyone know what kind of work out burns the most calories in the shotest time? My workout usually takes about 35-40 Min. Cardio but I only burn about 270 calories. Also is it bad to stay higher than your target heart rate?
I cant seem to keep in my target heart rate, always go over

kaypeeoh Fri, May-12-06 09:13

The theory is by keeping the heart rate controlled you're burning more fat that sugar. The downside to that is it takes a lot longer to burn a pound of fat. Walking or running burns about 100 calories per mile. Running a mile takes 8-10 minutes, depending on condition. Walking a mile takes up to 20 minutes. Using the figure of 3500 calories per pound of fat, you'd have to run for 6 hours or walk for 12 hours.

The opposite extreme burns more fat. By getting your heart rate to 90% of maximum for short peroids you stimulate Growth Hormone. This causes accelerated fat-burning. Only problem there is if weight is extreme, you're likely to damage knees or hips before long.

A middle ground might be an exercise that works more muscles per day: Rowing works the heart, legs, arms and back. Martial arts work the entire body, if done right. Swimming as well works much of the body and is not so stressful to joints.

han_gaozu Fri, May-19-06 08:46

Don't forget SPINNING if you're into self-torture like me. When I decide to burn calories in 30-40 min, I crank it up and PT so hard my friends leave me alone when they enter the gym. Just get a good high energy music setand do h

Afterwords I've asked, "why didn't you say hi." They said, "uh. you looked REALLY BUSY."

Whatever you're doing, if you do it faster/harder and sweat more then you're burning more calories. Simple really, but only palatable if you like being soaked with sweat and enjoy pushing.

realdeal31 Thu, Jun-01-06 17:34

Up the intensity, tae bo or bootcamp are great you can burn up to 1000 calories an hour.

miezimau Thu, Jun-01-06 19:22

20 minutes of cardio is plenty enough. I go on the Elliptical and start out 2 minutes on slow pace to warm up, then I go higher, higher and higher until I reach my high point (now I am breathing very hard and I am at my max heart rate), then I drop back down to moderate walking and work my way up again. I have had knee surgery over 15 years ago and everyonce in a while I can feel a sharp pain. Usually when I am running outside or on the Treadmill. Now if you do this on the Elliptical you will NOT damage your knees or your joints.
Good Luck

Helen H Tue, Jun-13-06 10:33

Try HIIT (high intensity interval training) where you alternate flat-out sprints with slower recovery periods.

Typical ways of doing this is to sprint the straights on a running track, and walk or jog the bends, or to do one minute one flat out, one minute recovery on a cardio machine. I wouldn't recommend doing sprints on a treadmill, I don't think that's safe.

I personally like doing them when I'm cycling. I'll find a long straight section and go flat out, to the point where I am breathing at around one breath a second and couldn't get a word out if you paid me. Then I cycle at normal speed until I hit the next straight section.

nets33 Tue, Jul-11-06 13:47

Don't forget that cardio isn't neccessarily about how many calories you burn while you are exercising. It is also about revving up your metabolism so that your body is burning more fat after you finish your cardio.

I agree with Helen about HIIT. I've had great success with it. If you can do your cardio before eating it is another great way to jump start your body.

caverjen Tue, Jul-11-06 14:06

This may sound crazy coming from a dedicated runner, but cardio is overrated for calorie burning. Cardio does burn calories, and it is important for a healthy heart, but if you really want to burn fat ALL DAY LONG you need to do weight training. The afterburn from cardio lasts a couple hours, the afterburn from weight training lasts a couple days. The best form of cardio for weight loss is HIIT. Also, if you weight train and do cardio in the same workout session, do your weights first and burn 50% more calories. Also, on a low-carb diet there is no need to exercise on an empty stomach. Drink a protein shake before your workout to spare your muscles from being burned off as fuel.

realdeal31 Mon, Jul-24-06 10:00

If you can get yourself to do bootcamp 3 times a week the whole dvd you will get a complete body change.

Marie2006 Tue, Jul-25-06 06:52

waouuuu
1000 calories per hour !

I'm surprised.

HairOnFire Wed, Jul-26-06 10:56

realdeal31:
Quote:
If you can get yourself to do bootcamp 3 times a week the whole dvd you will get a complete body change.

Where do you get the DVD? Is Bootcamp 3 the formal title of the tape? I'd be interested in trying this. What I'm looking for is more structure to my weight training sessions, so exercise tapes would work.

watcher16 Tue, Aug-01-06 11:22

Bicycling: 1350 cal in 75 min.

The amount per minute depends on speed and bodycomposition.
A pro can burn some 35 cal/min. A slow,recreative biker 15 cal/min

dreamslim Tue, Aug-01-06 15:48

I use the calcutor from "Self" magazine web site. It's pretty accurate.

http://www.self.com/fitness/calculators

medalian1 Tue, Aug-01-06 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nets33
It is also about revving up your metabolism so that your body is burning more fat after you finish your cardio.

I agree and started adding 15 min of biking before I head out to work (can't do more cause I'd hafta shower before work). I know 15 minutes isn't much, but hoping it gives my metabo a lil boost to start the day. Then gym 2:30-3:30p, cardio for an hour in the evening ...

HtotheIzzo Wed, Aug-02-06 15:16

<~~ big fan of ellipticals!