Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Golden Flax Bread Sandwiches (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=437315)

Yesurbius Mon, Jan-09-12 11:30

Golden Flax Bread Sandwiches

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up a bag of Bob's Red Mill - Golden Flax Seed Meal (Certified Organic) the other day from my organic grocer. Oh my god did our Flax Bread turn out beautiful. It produced golden brown bread that tasted absolutely fantastic. When you use a food slicer on your chicken breasts / ham - the sandwiches are absolutely stellar!

Its a standard sandwich - we some cheese, meat, lettuce and onion. Add some mustard or mayo too. The secret is the bread:

Flax Bread:
2 Cups of Golden Flax Seed Meal
1 tbsp of Baking Powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup of Water
5 Eggs

Pre-heat Oven to 350F

In a bowl, mix dry ingredients. Beat eggs, Oil and water in a separate bowl, then add to dry ingredients and mix until smooth.

Let stand for 2 minutes (no more)
Pour onto flat cookie sheet (I recommend a Silicon Cookie Sheet too)
Cook for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool on counter.

Here is the link to the manufacturer's website.

According to the website, per 2 Tbsp it has 60 Calories, 4.5g of Fat, 4 Carbs, 4 Fibre, 0 Sugar. This would make it suitable for induction.

kvcooks Mon, Jan-09-12 11:44

Well, I'm going to give this recipe a try. I've been trying various "bread" recipes and they all end up tasting eggy, or like mayo or pork rinds- not bready at all. This is looking promising since it has none of those ingredients- yay!

Yesurbius Mon, Jan-09-12 12:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvcooks
Well, I'm going to give this recipe a try. I've been trying various "bread" recipes and they all end up tasting eggy, or like mayo or pork rinds- not bready at all. This is looking promising since it has none of those ingredients- yay!

It tastes like bread definitely. Flax bread tends to crumble a lot more than wheat bread .. but to me it is perfect recipe.

I think I did the nutritional info and one sandwich has your daily requirements for both Omega 3 and Omega 6 .. as well as a ton of fibre (we all love fibre)

lovemypets Mon, Jan-09-12 12:55

A little question here.....
you pour it out onto the cookie sheet and bake it
so it's like a sheet of bread that you cut into sections???
how thick are the sections???

Yesurbius Mon, Jan-09-12 13:59

You pour it over the silicon tray .. I'd guess about a foot and a half in length, and a foot in width. The actual batter is thick .. and it doesn't rise much since its a heavier mix. It rises to be about an inch high. It resembles a cake moreso than a loaf of bread.

You cut the 'cake' into squares .. and for a sandwich you'd simply take one square and cut it in half (as you would a bun).

Remember its not like your traditional bread - but it definitely has a bread-like composition.

Nancy LC Mon, Jan-09-12 14:02

Great idea using a sheet to bake bread in. Better than having a loaf that comes out way too short for a sandwich.

lovemypets Mon, Jan-09-12 14:06

Thank you so much Yesurbius!!!!
I go skiing and love to have a sandwich mid-day
right now I'm making slices with the MIM recipe
this will be much better!!!

Elizellen Mon, Jan-09-12 16:06

I love this "foccacio bread" recipe as it is quick and easy to mix and tastes great.

Yesurbius Mon, Jan-09-12 17:46

The recipe can also be used as a base for a whole ton of other things.
  • Throw some pressed garlic into the recipe and up the butter - you'll get a nice garlic bread.
  • Add some berries and pour into muffin cups - muffins!
  • Melt some dark chocolate into some hazelnut butter and add a few drops in. Nice dessert.

lowcarbjo Mon, Jan-09-12 18:08

Looks yummy..... I have made flax "bread" using some recipies off this site but they either tasted too eggy or too "flaxy", lol... will try this one! Thx! : )

LoCrbLadee Wed, Jan-11-12 23:14

Bread is just about the ONLY thing I really miss,but,am managing!Had done Atkins years ago,only to go back to my bad eating and started out at 235# in September 2011 and am 195# as of 01/11/2012.DETERMINED to NOT quit eating this way,again!!NOT a DIET,per se',but a WAY of EATING and MY LIFE,now!!Want to get down to 135# and I'm 5'2" and almost 65,but,I'M worth it and my life ISN'T OVER just because I'm not 21,anymore!No major health issues,for which I'm grateful,and,trying to take better care of myself 'at my age' than I did the first part of my life to this point,by getting the excess weight off of my short frame and,perhaps, forestall some future health issues,because of that!!Going to try this bread recipe!!Thanks!!

Nursekayh Thu, Jan-12-12 13:37

I make this bread often but have found that is you use half flax and half carbquick or almond meal it does not have that slick taste. Very good bread and freezes well.

graciejean Thu, Jan-12-12 16:54

O.K. now you have my attention,do you think you could email me a slice,just a raste ,you know.lol

lowcarbjo Thu, Jan-12-12 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursekayh
I make this bread often but have found that is you use half flax and half carbquick or almond meal it does not have that slick taste. Very good bread and freezes well.

1/2 flax and same amount almond meal? and it tastes not so eggy/flaxy? really... I must try it!! Thx!

Blackstone Fri, Feb-03-12 12:46

Question about this bread. I see that people are doing half flax/half almond. Could I do half flax/half soy flour?