Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Success Stories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Gabrielle's Success (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=238383)

GabrielleG Thu, Mar-10-05 12:56

Gabrielle's Success

I didn’t need that red needle coming to rest on the thick black 250 to tell me I had a problem. My thighs chafed when I walked longer than 15 minutes, my knees cracked and my lungs burned from walking up short flights of stairs. I had to purchase men’s jeans in order for them to fit comfortably. I wore 42DDD bras and I would have rather licked botulism than hop on a scale.

Eventually there came a day when I decided that it was time to get my life and myself back. No matter how many years I’d spent as an “overweight” adult, I never felt comfortable with that title. I always thought of myself as active. I would even tell people I didn’t eat much in order to dispel any misconceptions regarding HOW I got as big as I was. I realized that in order for me to lose weight and become healthy, I would have to find out exactly how much damage I had done to myself over the years. With heart pounding and eyes squinting, I stepped on the scale and confirmed what I had already suspected. I wasn’t just overweight. I was morbidly obese.

Since I began my weight loss journey, I’ve given a great deal of thought to what may have caused my obesity. But in truth, it was probably a combination of things. As a child, I believed friends who had pantries stocked with cookies, candies and sugary cereals to be rich. In my teens, when I did begin to care about my weight, I would remedy perceived love handles by not eating. As a young adult, I ate junk foods because I was too lazy to cook. In my mid 20’s, I was ratcheted up the ranks of my company to a management position, complete with expense account. I was expected to wine and dine clients weekly; a chore that I completed without complaint. And finally, in my late 20’s I suffered from what I now believe to be undiagnosed depression.

You’re probably thinking: How could she not know she was depressed? I didn’t know, because I didn’t have any of the symptoms that I associated with depression. I didn’t lie in my bed and hide from the world. I wasn’t particularly sad or angry. I got up every morning, got dressed, went to work and sometimes even managed a legitimate smile. Oh, and I ate.

I ate as much as my boyfriend at the time and neither of us thought anything of it. When that relationship ended we were both bigger people for the experience. As my weight grew, a problem I can trace back to early childhood began to develop like an ill formed twin. My problem was negative thinking. I would often think and say things about myself that would bring tears to my eyes. Words such as “stupid” and “fat cow” come to mind as I type this, but these are probably the least abusive of what I thought of myself. Food became a panacea—a salve for hurts that I inflicted on myself.

Success comes at a price, isn’t that what the old adage says? The price I paid in order to get to a healthy weight was accepting the responsibility that I was solely to blame for my condition. I had mentally and physically abused my body by giving it foods that were not nutritious, and refusing to listen to it when it complained of its poor treatment. I will carry the scars of that abuse in the form of stretch marks over newly formed abs for as long as I live. They (stretch marks) will forever be reminders, should I ever forget how far I’ve come.

At first glance you might think that my success is simply that I’ve lost over 100 pounds and am no longer obese or even overweight according to most doctors charts. But that is only half my story. Immediately after reading Dr Atkins’ New Diet Revolution, I remember knowing with absolute certainty that one day I would be in a size 10 again. That was one of the few positive thoughts I’d had in years and I held on to it as if it were a life preserver throughout my journey.

I currently weigh 144.8 pounds and wear a size 8 woman’s and a 30 in men’s jeans. But even that small victory is not why I consider myself successful. I consider myself successful because I was kind to myself. For 19 months I looked at myself in the mirror and said “good going sweetie.” I congratulated myself when I passed on the movie popcorn (my favorite) and I rubbed the back of my own neck after I worked out particularly hard. I told myself ”soon” when I’d try on a new pair of jeans that still didn’t quit fit , and I told myself that tomorrow was another day when I ate too much. I stopped being afraid of food and I embraced it for its ability, when used properly, to make me feel healthy. I became my own best friend and trusted confidant. I learned to love Gabrielle…and in the midst of all that loving of me… I lost 105 pounds. Go figure.

4beans4me Thu, Mar-10-05 13:06

Wow Gab! Fantastic story! Thanks for sharing, and congrats again on your huge success! :bhug:

tamarian Thu, Mar-10-05 14:44

Way to go Gabrielle! :thup:

Quote:
I stopped being afraid of food and I embraced it for its ability, when used properly, to make me feel healthy. I became my own best friend and trusted confidant. I learned to love Gabrielle…and in the midst of all that loving of me… I lost 105 pounds. Go figure.

Loved this part :)

Wa'il

Quest Thu, Mar-10-05 15:05

You story is very well written, in addition to being motivating. I continue to be impressed by you.

Petrina31 Thu, Mar-10-05 15:57

That is awesome Gabrielle! Mad props to you girl. You look fabulous!

DaddioM Thu, Mar-10-05 22:01

WOOHOO!!!!! WTG GAB!!!!

Wow.. it's amazing how many times the journey ends up NOT being about the food, but about our journey to discover ourselves and who we want to be.

I'm sooo glad you found yourself.. and I'm glad to see your story here!!

Congrats again Gab!!!

Mike

GabrielleG Thu, Mar-10-05 22:06

Hey Everyone, thanks so much for taking the time to read my success story. I use to dream of one day sitting down and writing it and how wonderful it would feel when I was done. I reached goal in December so I figured I had procrastinated enough.

Gabrielle

toni5 Fri, Mar-11-05 12:12

Your time spent thinking and dreaming about writting your success story was very well deserved. Extremely well written and truly inspiring.

Congratulations on your success and the rest of your life! ~toni

Qmass Fri, Mar-11-05 12:14

What a great story - thank you!

faith2004 Fri, Mar-11-05 12:24

Beautiful story! Did you ever slip up and if you did, was it hard getting back on track?

mischa Fri, Mar-11-05 13:15

Congratulations Gabrielle...what an inspiration you are to us all :yay:

Nancy LC Fri, Mar-11-05 14:08

Congratulations!

And stretch marks, like bad memories, do fade with time. :D

triplemom Fri, Mar-11-05 20:17

Hey, Gabrielle! I've been out of sight, but you haven't been out of my mind! I love your story - it's from the heart. You are one beautiful lady, and I'm not just talking about physical beauty! Thanks for sharing your story.

Your friend,

Sweetcake Fri, Mar-11-05 22:24

Congratulatulations on exceeding your goal.... great story.... wishing you continued success!!

GinaLeanne Fri, Mar-11-05 22:33

You are such an inspiration!!!! I can feel the pain that you once had in the words that you used. You should be so proud of all the strength that you had to endure!!!

To make a "long story short" I hid from the world for the last 7 yrs.......after many trials and depressing episodes "I just wanted to hide".

I gained alot of weight by taking my son to Chuck e Cheese. I wanted to help him get over some things that had happened to him, and I would sit and eat pizza on almost every day off that I had..... we lived a block from there!!!

Thankyou again for all of your encouragement!!!"

You are awesome...........!!!! take care, Gina