Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Subway closes 91 stores in Australia over 4 years (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482922)

Grav Thu, Aug-15-19 12:57

Subway closes 91 stores in Australia over 4 years
 
Subway closes 91 stores in Australia over 4 years

Quote:
Sandwich giant Subway has closed more than 90 stores in the past four years as they struggle to keep up with millennial food trends.

The fast food chain has 1,353 stores across Australia at the moment, down from 1,444 in 2015, which is a drop of 9.2 per cent.

While there are currently no further plans to open new stores, a spokesperson told the publication they do 'anticipate growth' this financial year but will only consider areas that are 'commercially viable'.

However their revenue of €77.6 million ($128.1 million) for Australia in 2017 is down from €88.4 million ($145.3 million) in 2016, making the next move they make in the retail industry very important.

The brand is finding those customers who would normally seek out a Subway sandwich for healthier food are choosing different fast food chains, ones that are low-carb friendly.

'Over the past 10 years, the tastes and the palates of our Australian guests have changed quite significantly, and what they're looking for, for their lunch or for their dinner has changed as well,' Subway's spokesperson said.

Naturally this has wreaked havoc on the lives of those franchisees who opted into the business a decade ago.

Some cannot cover the cost of their own salary, so are forced to work for free, while others are trying their best to sell the shop.

'I cannot afford it. I am in too much debt at the moment I have taken out a lot of personal loans to survive. If I take another loan from the bank I cannot pay as it is too high. My life is hell now. I am stuck,' one business owner told the Brisbane Times.

Subway told FEMAIL that the company is experiencing 'strong growth'.

'Subway restaurants are experiencing strong sales growth and increased Franchise Owner profits due to Subway's menu enhancements, the launch of online ordering and the launch of third-party delivery,' they said.

'Subway has been innovating to increase Franchise Owner profitability and adapt to the changing needs of Australians, while remaining competitive in a market with more consumer choice than ever before.'

In recent times the store has launched rye bread and wraps, a loyalty card to bolster sales, Beyond Meat options for vegans and a salted caramel cookie to add to their growing range of snacks.

They continue to develop innovative strategies to deal with the changing food landscape but only time will tell if they are successful.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-Australia.html

Ms Arielle Thu, Aug-15-19 13:19

We have two stores in this town. One on a main street. The other at walmart, the west side.

We stop in occassionlly, enough to comment on their food options.

As a low carber, I can get a salad with meat options. Salad dressing of course is always dicey. Oil and vinegar if I dare.

Eating at Mc D means removing the bun, hoping it hasnt stuck to the American cheese leaving a layer of crumb. Salads--- never tried one. Not sure they are fresh. So Subway a better option.

Too bad Subway has not been as LC friendly as they could be..... just a lack of effort. Wouldnt take much to go another step.

They should offer a low carb wrap.... that kind of bread holds for days unlike their standard roll.

Only place I let my kids walk to for a snack when they are at the library. A shot at a decent meal, with vegies.

Mycie14 Thu, Aug-15-19 16:56

I actually find Subway to be low carb friendly because you can get any sub as a salad, they have lots of low carb veg (not just lettuce and tomato) and if you want, you pay extra for double meat.

Subway used to have a low carb wrap option, but that went away. The wraps are now huge tortillas. :mad:

And like Ms. Arielle said, while you can always throw away the bun from a buger, you risk losing the cheese.

In my neck of the woods, Subway is one of the cheaper low carb options for fast food.

GRB5111 Thu, Aug-15-19 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14
I actually find Subway to be low carb friendly because you can get any sub as a salad, they have lots of low carb veg (not just lettuce and tomato) and if you want, you pay extra for double meat.

Subway used to have a low carb wrap option, but that went away. The wraps are now huge tortillas. :mad:

And like Ms. Arielle said, while you can always throw away the bun from a buger, you risk losing the cheese.

In my neck of the woods, Subway is one of the cheaper low carb options for fast food.

I do that as well. When I'm pressed for time, chopped salad with me selecting the ingredients and double meat of any sub selection. I take it home and add my own olive oil and ACV. Reasonably priced and pretty good tasting as well.

WereBear Fri, Aug-16-19 03:36

It would be EASY to offer a true low carb salad in almost any fast food place. Eventually, they will.

Squarecube Fri, Aug-16-19 04:32

Years ago after stumbling into this low carb place, Subway began featuring a low carb wrap, and yes, you paid a premium for it. I had never been in Subway before and felt good supporting them. I lost my initial chunk of weight with weekly lunch dates and was stunned when they dropped their low carb wrap. Do you remember being dumped by your first girl/boy friend? It felt kinda like that. I still walk by them occasionally; that whiff of onion/jalapeño refrigerated air that spills onto sidewalk always makes my mouth tingle but sadly reminds me of an earlier happy time. Nowadays, for a special weekly treat I fast. It ain’t the same.

bevangel Fri, Aug-16-19 10:43

Don't Aussie Subway's have "chopped salads" on their menus? If not, it seems like they could easily add them for their low-carb patrons.

It's basically just a subway sandwich without the bread, tossed into a big metal bowl and chopped up fine with a mezzaluna then served in plastic bowls. Without the bun, Subway's sandwiches are actually very low carb!

The only expense involved in adding adding chopped salads to a menu would be purchasing a metal bowl and a mezzaluna to do the chopping with. Seems to me that Subway franchisees would be rushing to add the salads rather than closing shop.

Mycie14 Fri, Aug-16-19 11:45

I don't even get my Subway salad chopped as I am not a fan of chopped salad (too mushy sometimes). They just layer it into the container.

I think one reason fast food places don't have many salad options is the extra ingredients. Sure they have lettuce and tomato and onion for the burgers, but not cucumbers, celery, peppers, etc. It would be stocking the extra produce which also spoils faster than meat, cheese and buns.

Subway though already has the extra veg for their sandwiches.

Bob-a-rama Fri, Aug-16-19 17:35

Back in the 80s before I was strictly low carb I had a couple of subway sandwiches while on the run. It would be an exaggeration to call it mediocre.

I haven't eaten at a fast-food outlet of any kind since then.

No McC, B-King, Wendy, Pizza Hut, or whatever. Life is too short to eat mediocre food.

Bob

JessAus Fri, Aug-16-19 18:48

This actually really surprises me as Subway is very big here in Aus...

They do about a dozen different types of salad bowls and gluten free bread/wraps, and about half of their salad dressings are low in sugar. Subway is a go to place here for corporate lunch platters and casual events.

Maybe they have closed some stores as they can service a bigger area from one store now with their delivery options? In the town I live in we have 3 stores within a 10km radius (That is a bit much?)

jschwab Fri, Aug-16-19 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Back in the 80s before I was strictly low carb I had a couple of subway sandwiches while on the run. It would be an exaggeration to call it mediocre.

I haven't eaten at a fast-food outlet of any kind since then.

No McC, B-King, Wendy, Pizza Hut, or whatever. Life is too short to eat mediocre food.

Bob


I always thought they were more unappealing than even McDonald's. I got dragged there once at an old job, while we had dozens of amazng other options nearby.

WereBear Sat, Aug-17-19 05:39

I have found that low carb actually "cultivates my palate" in that fresh food I really like is so much better than anything, no matter how low carb a fast food option might be.

At Subway I get a small handful of spinach as my chopped salad, and double meat, and it's a good option, though by that time it's overpriced and I can get a real bacon and eggs breakfast and then I do.

Bob-a-rama Sat, Aug-17-19 08:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I always thought they were more unappealing than even McDonald's. I got dragged there once at an old job, while we had dozens of amazng other options nearby.

When I worked on a cruise ship, once a month I'd drive home to check the house. There was just enough time to get home, get back, and have an hour or two to spare in case traffic got snarled. I grabbed subways a couple of times, and after that, we packed our own lunch to eat on the road. That was in the late 1980s

I actually quit fast food in the late 1970s, but in the early 1980s I was in a group who went to BK. I ordered a cheeseburger with no other fixings. I put a little ketchup on it. I could taste the ketchup and the cheese, the meat and the bun tasted like cardboard.

I'd rather bring a bag of nuts or a 'no-carb bar' if I need something on the road than stop at a fast frankenfood franchise.

But that's just me.

Bob

GRB5111 Sat, Aug-17-19 08:45

Early on when I started low carb, I'd occasionally run into a fast food burger joint and toss the bun and eat the meat. It's been a long time since I've done that, as I realized the meat had fillers, had zero taste, and I wasn't doing myself any good. Once I became a fat burner, I didn't need to eat at times, so I'd just do without the food and burn my own on-board fuel instead. In the past, I've tried the Unwich at Jimmy Johns, meh. Today, I never go to fast food other than an occasional chopped salad at subway.

bevangel Sat, Aug-17-19 16:26

Actually, for "fast food," I don't find Subway salads to be half bad.

They're definitely not "frankenfood" as they are created right in front of you after you choose the ingredients you want. My local Subways have lettuce, green bell peppers, red onions, tomatoes, black olives, jalapenos, pickles, and banana peppers available. Except for the last three items (which are pickled) the vegetables are all fresh.

Granted meat and cheese options at Subway tend to be a bit more "processed" but I don't consider roast beef, roasted turkey breast, chicken breast, tuna, bacon, ham, cheddar cheese, provolone cheese or parmesan to be "frankenfoods." Salami and pepperoni may qualify :) ...but I'll admit to still eating both on occasion! That just leave the dressing and I usually opt for either Ranch dressing or a mixture of mayo and olive oil blend. I'm not sure the salads I make from scratch at home are measurably "lower carb" or "healthier."

Typically, I only wind up at fast food franchises when traveling with other people who don't eat low-carb and who NEED to eat on a regular schedule. In such situations, if there is a Subway handy, I tend to vote for it over most other options.

I think overall Subway has options that are healthier than "a bag of nuts" and definitely healthier than a "no-carb bar." Actually, I've never yet found a true no-carb bar for sale anywhere and would love to know what brand you buy Bob-a-rama. Around here, we can get all kinds of high-protein bars (with way more carbs than I'd ever consume in a single sitting) and lost of supposedly low-carb bars made with so many sugar alcohols they might as well be CANDY the way they set off my sweet-tooth cravings! I have yet to see a bar with less than 20g of carbs and no (or very few) sugar alcohols.

GRB5111 Sat, Aug-17-19 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Actually, I've never yet found a true no-carb bar for sale anywhere and would love to know what brand you buy Bob-a-rama. Around here, we can get all kinds of high-protein bars (with way more carbs than I'd ever consume in a single sitting) and lost of supposedly low-carb bars made with so many sugar alcohols they might as well be CANDY the way they set off my sweet-tooth cravings! I have yet to see a bar with less than 20g of carbs and no (or very few) sugar alcohols.

This is my experience. Low carb is relative, so I guess for someone thinking 130 grams of carbs per day is low, these bars work. I'm still on a quest for a stevia sweetened bar that gives me 10 grams of carbs total. Like looking for the golden fleece.

JessAus Sat, Aug-17-19 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
This is my experience. Low carb is relative, so I guess for someone thinking 130 grams of carbs per day is low, these bars work. I'm still on a quest for a stevia sweetened bar that gives me 10 grams of carbs total. Like looking for the golden fleece.



I don't eat anything processed these days but these are good, maybe you can get them in the US? https://shelbyshh.com/products/pean...lemon-slice-bar

GRB5111 Sat, Aug-17-19 21:42

Thanks, Jess. Did a quick search on Amazon and found nothing, but this looks good and one serving is very close to 10 grams. I'll keep looking for a source in the US.

Bob-a-rama Sun, Aug-18-19 09:23

To each their own. I am not much of a salad person, and I respectfully disagree, nuts are extremely healthy foods.

I'll eat a salad only if I can put red wine vinegar and olive oil on it. Those other dressings just don't make it for me. And for some reason, salads put weight on me (don't know why) so I rarely eat them.

Plus if I do, I want organic ingredients. I've read about the pesticide and herbicide residues on lettuce, celery, and other greens.

The 2019 "Dirty Dozen" list, those that I do eat, I will not eat if not organic.
1 Strawberries
2 Spinach
3 Kale
4 Nectarines
5 Apples
6 Grapes
7 Peaches
8 Cherries
9 Pears
10 Tomatoes
11 Celery
12 Potatoes

Bell peppers are 13, lettuce is 15, cucumbers 16, and so on:
https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/full-list.php

You find lots of salad and fruits in the top 47 pesticide contaminated foods, and there are no nuts on that list.

Not that nuts are pesticide free, but at least they have a shell as a barrier so they are not coated in pesticides and herbicides.

And yes, the no-carb bars are actually extremely low carb bars, and I use them for what I call 'emergency food'. On the road or on an airplane they are easy to pack and carry.

Most of what I eat is prepared at home with wholesome ingredients or as close to wholesome as I can find. A lot of it is eaten as-is with no preparation - I have nuts and imported European cheese (healthier, no rbgh and made with A2 milk) almost every day.

To me it's more than low-carb, although that is a big part of my diet. But by eating an anti-inflammatory and low poison-added diet, plus supplemental vitamins, I am 73 years old with zero prescriptions and I can't even remember the last time I caught a cold - 15 years or more - and I work with senior citizens many who come up to hug and kiss me. I haven't called in sick for work in since the mid 1960s.

But to each their own. What works best for one person is not necessarily best for someone else.

Bob

PS, last year I spent 5 weeks in Australia from Brisbane up to Cape Trib over to Darwin down to Kangaroo Island and back to Sydney - mostly driving. I never ate at a single fast food store, and don't even remember seeing a subway, although I'm sure I would have if I paid attention. The pubs are great places for a quick meal, service is friendly, and the employees actually get paid for their work so there is no tipping.

Woolworth's (grocery store) had great bags of mixed nuts, macadamias, cashews and so on. The coffee in Australia is good. Bega Heritage Cheddar cheese is the best I've ever tasted, and the Australian people are some of the friendliest, courteous, and most civilized people I've ever met, and I've been on 6 of the 7 continents.

Ms Arielle Sun, Aug-18-19 11:44

Dang, I want to take vaca in AU....
or NZ.....

GRB5111 Sun, Aug-18-19 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Thanks, Jess. Did a quick search on Amazon and found nothing, but this looks good and one serving is very close to 10 grams. I'll keep looking for a source in the US.

Sorry, a slight hijack. Just to clarify, I'd be interested in a low carb bar that has 10 grams total carbs for the total bar, not per serving. Not net carbs, as many of them claim. Dark chocolate is the preference. I'm not sure this is possible, as even with the ones I've checked at 99% dark (Lindt, Ghirardelli, etc., a couple squares puts me over the threshold. The rest rely on fiber and start at around 20-25 total carbs and rely on fiber to be subtracted. I don't trust net carbs. Until then, if I'm on a long air trip or car trip, I bring a bag of nuts, and that does the trick. Many times, I don't even open it, but it's there if I desire. A few bars with low carb would also do the trick. And no, I don't fear the nuts, at least the plant variety that is . . .

Kristine Sun, Aug-18-19 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessAus
This actually really surprises me as Subway is very big here in Aus... (...) Maybe they have closed some stores as they can service a bigger area from one store now with their delivery options? In the town I live in we have 3 stores within a 10km radius (That is a bit much?)
This would be my guess. I live within a 5-minute walk to TWO Subways. Beyond that, there are FOUR more within about 3 km/1.5 miles. How do they stay profitable? There's only one McDonalds in that space, for comparison. IMO, Subway over-expanded in the 90s and now they're probably regressing.

My biggest turn-off from the LC version of Subway is the expense. Yes, it's nice that I can turn any sub into a salad but I can do that way cheaper at a grocery store salad bar. I think I spent $14 the last time I got a salad at Subway. I'd rather go get a bunless burger with extra veggies for half the price.

Bob-a-rama Sun, Aug-18-19 14:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Dang, I want to take vaca in AU....
or NZ.....

I highly recommend AU.

Rent a camper van and do drive through the cities and the outback. The drivers are courteous, if you need to change lanes, put your blinker on and they will slow down to let you in - every time. They drive in the slow lane except to pass. Even the 'road train' truck drivers will let you know when it's safe to pass them.

Stop to say "Hi" to someone on the street, and don't be surprised if you end up talking for ah hour or more. Friendly folks. The wildlife is like what you will see nowhere else. I didn't find one grouchy person in the entire time I spent on the continent.

Spend at least 5 weeks there, as Oz is about as big as the USA's lower 48. Five weeks gave us a quick tour of half the country. I could probably spend a year there before I ran out of things I dearly want to visit, ah but I don't belong to the leisure class. I guess I chose the wrong parents ;)

But I don't have Cable TV, don't wear jewelry, don't use the AC, don't buy bottled water, don't buy expensive cars, and do have money for travel.

Back on topic.

The meat and cheese are both very good in Oz so it's pretty easy to stay on your plan. The cheese is A2 and my DW found out she isn't sensitive to dairy, only to A1 dairy (which is the most common in the USA). The pubs don't try to force you to drink something sweetened. If you ask for tap water, you get a chilled bottle and a couple of glasses for no extra charge. It's quite common there. And at Woolworth's you can get great bags of nuts that you can use for 'road food'.

Bob

Calianna Sun, Aug-18-19 17:38

Quote:
I'd rather bring a bag of nuts or a 'no-carb bar' if I need something on the road than stop at a fast frankenfood franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama


And yes, the no-carb bars are actually extremely low carb bars, and I use them for what I call 'emergency food'. On the road or on an airplane they are easy to pack and carry.




I must be missing something - Is "no carb bar" the name of them? Do you make them yourself, and if you do, can you share the recipe? If you buy them, can you tell us where you find them?

jschwab Sun, Aug-18-19 17:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Sorry, a slight hijack. Just to clarify, I'd be interested in a low carb bar that has 10 grams total carbs for the total bar, not per serving. Not net carbs, as many of them claim. Dark chocolate is the preference. I'm not sure this is possible, as even with the ones I've checked at 99% dark (Lindt, Ghirardelli, etc., a couple squares puts me over the threshold. The rest rely on fiber and start at around 20-25 total carbs and rely on fiber to be subtracted. I don't trust net carbs. Until then, if I'm on a long air trip or car trip, I bring a bag of nuts, and that does the trick. Many times, I don't even open it, but it's there if I desire. A few bars with low carb would also do the trick. And no, I don't fear the nuts, at least the plant variety that is . . .


Do you mean chocolate bars? I used to just eat baker's chocolate when I ate chocolate on low carb.

JessAus Sun, Aug-18-19 19:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
My biggest turn-off from the LC version of Subway is the expense. Yes, it's nice that I can turn any sub into a salad but I can do that way cheaper at a grocery store salad bar. I think I spent $14 the last time I got a salad at Subway. I'd rather go get a bunless burger with extra veggies for half the price.


That's interesting - They are about $9 AUD for the salad bowls here ($6 USD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
PS, last year I spent 5 weeks in Australia from Brisbane up to Cape Trib over to Darwin down to Kangaroo Island and back to Sydney - mostly driving. I never ate at a single fast food store, and don't even remember seeing a subway, although I'm sure I would have if I paid attention. The pubs are great places for a quick meal, service is friendly, and the employees actually get paid for their work so there is no tipping.

Woolworth's (grocery store) had great bags of mixed nuts, macadamias, cashews and so on. The coffee in Australia is good. Bega Heritage Cheddar cheese is the best I've ever tasted, and the Australian people are some of the friendliest, courteous, and most civilized people I've ever met, and I've been on 6 of the 7 continents.

Rent a camper van and do drive through the cities and the outback. The drivers are courteous, if you need to change lanes, put your blinker on and they will slow down to let you in - every time. They drive in the slow lane except to pass. Even the 'road train' truck drivers will let you know when it's safe to pass them.

Stop to say "Hi" to someone on the street, and don't be surprised if you end up talking for ah hour or more. Friendly folks. The wildlife is like what you will see nowhere else. I didn't find one grouchy person in the entire time I spent on the continent. ... The meat and cheese are both very good in Oz so it's pretty easy to stay on your plan. The cheese is A2 and my DW found out she isn't sensitive to dairy, only to A1 dairy (which is the most common in the USA). The pubs don't try to force you to drink something sweetened. If you ask for tap water, you get a chilled bottle and a couple of glasses for no extra charge. It's quite common there. And at Woolworth's you can get great bags of nuts that you can use for 'road food'.


It is funny reading an American's take on Aus - I'm so glad you enjoyed our country so much. I have actually learnt so much about US culture from this board. My favorite has to be the gravy on biscuits :lol:
It has really made me appreciate our food industry here, something I did take for granted. Yes, pubs are the normal 'fast food' go to here - We do have the normal chains like McDonald's and Hungry Jacks in the cities and large towns but they are far less popular and considered more like drop in eating places for teenagers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Dang, I want to take vaca in AU....
or NZ.....


We'll have to start a low carb international house swap ;)

Ms Arielle Sun, Aug-18-19 19:31

Im in!!!!!!!!!

Grav Mon, Aug-19-19 00:12

I personally haven't eaten at a Subway for a few years. Yes I know they do a meat and salad option without the bun, but I can get a meal like that elsewhere too, and local restaurants tend to offer a bigger plate for a similar price.

And Arielle, you'd always be welcome over here too. :)

Calianna Mon, Aug-19-19 03:31

I haven't been to a Subway in ages either.

If I have no choice but to grab fast food, I prefer to stop at Five Guys. Their burgers are 100% beef, and they will gladly hold the bun, serving it in an aluminum "bowl", although they ask if you want it that way because of allergy or preference - most likely, there's a possibility of cross contamination from gluten, but it's fine if you're just LC. They have a list of free toppings and condiments, all of which you can have added to that burger-in-a-bowl, and many of the toppings are LC friendly.

I know they now have dozens of locations in the UK now too, not sure about other countries.

WereBear Mon, Aug-19-19 04:15

I live in a state park and we have very few franchises. Most people like that.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:50.

Copyright © 2000-2020 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.