Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Report shows people with type 2 diabetes favour lifestyle changes over medication (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481717)

Demi Fri, Dec-14-18 02:04

Report shows people with type 2 diabetes favour lifestyle changes over medication

Quote:
Report shows people with type 2 diabetes favour lifestyle changes over medication

Adapting lifestyle is the favoured way people with type 2 diabetes want to manage the condition, according to a new survey.

The poll showed 81% of those with the condition say they would prefer to eat better and exercise, before taking prescription drugs.

Responding to the findings, Dr Aseem Malhotra, NHS Consultant Cardiologist and Professor of Evidence Based Medicine said: "The current management of patients with type 2 diabetes is upside down. Costly drugs to manage blood glucose don’t address the root cause of the condition.

"In addition, type 2 diabetes medication comes with potential side effects that hinder a patient's quality of life, increases hospital admissions and doesn’t prolong a patient’s lifespan."

The Liva Healthcare research also revealed that 54% of healthcare professionals questioned would rather treat type 2 diabetes through lifestyle changes such as losing weight and getting regular exercise.

Dr Malhotra added: "The good news is that, with my patients, I have found that the condition is reversible in up to 60% of patients. The best results come within a year of pure dietary changes that specifically cut out added sugar and processed carbohydrate foods.

"Supporting front line clinicians with technology that gives patients a lifestyle prescription to manage the condition will not only save hundreds of millions of NHS money, but will also improve patients’ quality of life; something which a drug-centric approach cannot do."

The report also looked at other challenges related to type 2 diabetes. Nearly a quarter of those asked (24%) admitting they were concerned about passing on their poor lifestyle habits to their children and two thirds said they worried about their poor health.

Dr Roger Henderson, GP and UK medical director at Liva Healthcare said: "Type 2 diabetes is both preventable and reversible. With the right management and support network, patients can take control of their diabetes in both the short and long term."

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...n-90164779.html

GRB5111 Fri, Dec-14-18 07:21

People are smart, and when they know they can make great strides to better health through sensible eating and lifestyle changes, it has to be the most preferred approach considering the alternatives.

Ms Arielle Fri, Dec-14-18 11:25

Quote:
The poll showed 81% of those with the condition say they would prefer to eat better and exercise, before taking prescription drugs.

Im actually surprised at this finding. Advertising and others sources continue to push the " pop a pill" or gastric surgery as the only reasonable options.

Glad my gut was right-- pick lifestyle changes as first line of defense.

Meme#1 Fri, Dec-14-18 11:59

I remember MIL deciding with her DH that they could just inject more insulin and still make/eat their homemade cakes, pies and jellies.... :daze:

jschwab Fri, Dec-14-18 12:35

I think people don't get good support from health authorities. The change within three days of true low carb would probably get most people hooked but they are advised anything but.

Meme#1 Fri, Dec-14-18 13:33

Unfortunately health authorities won't look past the prescriptions. Maybe they don't dare go against the drug companies out of fear of loosing all of the perks and $$.

When DH was given a prescription for statins, I gave him several articles showing him how bad it was. But what do I know, I'm not a doctor.

Ms Arielle Fri, Dec-14-18 14:29

ROFL

Just called pediatricians office and while on hold made to listen to the sales spiel, including offering just one option for the overweight: bariatric surgery , it is safe and effective.

Guess they forgot about the 1-2 percent that die after the surgery.

WereBear Sat, Dec-15-18 17:01

I’m shocked! I was told patients wouldn’t do that!