Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Study focuses on low-carb, high-fat diet effect on older populations (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484336)

Demi Fri, Aug-21-20 00:08

Study focuses on low-carb, high-fat diet effect on older populations

Study focuses on low-carb, high-fat diet effect on older populations

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...00820151337.htm

Quote:
Medical researchers noted improvements in body composition, fat distribution and metabolic health in response to an eight-week very low-carbohydrate diet. Older adults with obesity are at particularly high risk of developing cardiometabolic disease such as Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Rather than total fat mass, deposition of fat in certain areas, such as the abdominal cavity and skeletal muscle, may confer this greatest risk of disease development.

Grav Fri, Aug-21-20 01:29

Not a bad little study. The diet plans were eucaloric, and prospective participants with any of a wide range of confounding conditions were excluded. It's just a shame that it didn't involve more people and run for longer. But then, it's much harder to get funding for larger/longer studies on such unfashionable concepts as low carb, sadly.

WereBear Fri, Aug-21-20 03:53

Every snowflake contributes to the avalanche.

Benay Fri, Aug-21-20 04:31

An 8 week study is far too short to arrive at any substantial conclusions.

I prefer the findings of the Stanford study that lasted one year and compared 4 different diets on 40-year-old-women

As an "elderly" I have still not lost the 20 pounds I set out to lose at the end of November.

Ms Arielle Fri, Aug-21-20 09:20

Benay. But by eating a low carb quality diet you confer a healthy body via less fatty liver, better insulin response and better immunity response...per other studies.

Good to see another study support LC.

Too bad stress is not studied. High cortisol creates its own body fat pattern.

JEY100 Sat, Aug-22-20 12:03

Summary on DietDoctor. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...or-older-adults

sheryl2020 Mon, Aug-24-20 17:40

Demi, thank you so much for this article. I downloaded the complete study, which was linked in the article. Fantastic news for this sixtysomething! Thanks again.

sheryl2020 Mon, Aug-24-20 17:42

JEY100, thank you for the summary on Dietdictor!

sheryl2020 Mon, Aug-24-20 17:47

I should mention though, that the Dietdoctor article incorrectly states that saturated fat was limited to less than 10%. According to the study, participants ate butter, coconut oil, etc., and the 10 % reduction of sat fat was only from red meat.

GRB5111 Tue, Aug-25-20 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Not a bad little study. The diet plans were eucaloric, and prospective participants with any of a wide range of confounding conditions were excluded. It's just a shame that it didn't involve more people and run for longer. But then, it's much harder to get funding for larger/longer studies on such unfashionable concepts as low carb, sadly.

Good observations. It's hard to get funding for studies when the possible findings support correcting the issues with personal lifestyle changes not requiring the development & purchase of medical procedures, pharmaceuticals, or therapies. Can't sell it? Won't fund it.

WereBear Tue, Aug-25-20 11:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Can't sell it? Won't fund it.

Sadly so. Especially since the public funds it, yet won't get anything from it.

Bob-a-rama Tue, Aug-25-20 12:31

Ultra low-carb, high fat, moderate protein works for me. I've lost over 60 pounds and kept it off for decades. In the last 15 years I got slightly sick once (one day of sniffy nose and one day of cough) and that's it.

I'm 74 and am on zero prescription medications, and can't even remember the last time a doc prescribed a med for me. 30 years or more ago???

My fats do NOT include "vegetable oils" (The Hateful 8) but mostly butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and bacon grease. The beef I eat is 100% grass-fed (more omega 3s). I eat European or Australian cheese almost every day (A2 type with no rBST rBGH hormones).

It took a while to figure out what works for me, but it's a decades long test of one with no control group so definitely YMMV.

Bob

sheryl2020 Wed, Aug-26-20 05:08

Congratulations Bob. You found a way of eating that is perfect for you! As I’ve grown older, I’ve developed food sensitivities, so I must avoid gluten and dairy. I am still experimenting with different carb levels, but one thing is certain: I will never go back to high carb eating again.

deirdra Wed, Aug-26-20 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
It took a while to figure out what works for me, but it's a decades long test of one with no control group so definitely YMMV.
Bob
Same here. I like to think of my n=1 results as having a control group - me! Like a twin study involving only one person. Even though I am older now (when losing weight and getting healthier is supposed to be harder or impossible), I am in better health than when I suffered on every low-fat low-cal low-taste high-carb "healthy" diet ever invented for 35 years.

WereBear Wed, Aug-26-20 18:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I am in better health than when I suffered on every low-fat low-cal low-taste high-carb "healthy" diet ever invented for 35 years.

Seconded! I'm at my lowest weight since starting puberty and I'm a autoimmune success story, via the Wahls Protocol to start.