Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Thyroid Disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   A visit to Dr Peatfield & Getting Armour in UK (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=252531)

scrummy Tue, Jun-07-05 10:18

A visit to Dr Peatfield & Getting Armour in UK

After almost a year of being fobbed off by the doctors at the surgery where I am registered I took the advise of some of the valued members of this great forum and took myself off to see Dr Peatfield, (the author of The Great Thyroid Scandal and How to Survive it).

Fortunately, it is a good week for me so I felt up to the long drive. By good I mean I have some energy and no pain in my rotten hip.
Believe me on a bad day the drive would be too much.

The consultation took about 1 and a 1/2 hours and cost £120 (or $218 USD).

We discussed at length my family history and the possibility that I have Hashimoto's. When I have my next blood test I am going to try and get the result for my thyroid antibodies. Dr Peatfield said that he would be interested in finding what caused the problem.
On the same subject he also said that he felt childbirth could be a huge factor - infact this was very very fascinating to me as I have three children and my first two children were 7lbs 7oz and my third weighed in alot heavier at 9lbs.
It was also a difficult pregnancy and long drawn out labour.
Apparently, when a pregnany mothers thyroid levels are insufficient the child makes it for the mother and as a result ends up a bigger baby!
Dr peatfield thought it was very interesting the difference in birth weights of my babies.
So getting the thyroid antibodies result will be quite conclusive as to the type of hypothyroidism I have.

On a personal level, I have never recovered fully after my last child and not lost a single pound in weight! So I definately think that was the breaking point for me. Obviously, at the time I put this down to the pressure and demands of being a mum to 3 little darlings and starting my own business.

We also discussed my health over my entire life and in particular the last 10 years and it appears that the diagnosis of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) when I was 18 may have been the start of my thyroid problems.
I mentioned that over the last 13 years I have had repeated bouts of tonsilitis, this recently stopped when I started taking T4. He thinks it is all related.

He did some tests, blood pressure both standing up and sitting down, took my pulse and I had to do some balancing. He also tested my ankles (reflex style testing) and felt my hands.

His conclusion was that I was HYPOTHYROID and was was quite surprised as he said I seem quite energetic and look well.
He was a little concerned that I presented quite as Hypothyroid as I did as he felt my T4 dose was already quite high.

So we moved on to examine why I was not responding to my medication. (Levothyroxine/T4) .
We talked about this at length and also a little about adrenal damage and although we did not totally disgard it, we moved on for a short time.

I mentioned the headaches I get when I increase my dose and he felt that I need a better T4 medication and suggested that I try to get Eltroxin as opposed to the brand that I am taking at the moment.

He mentioned that doctors in the UK are encouraged not to prescribe Eltroxin and the chemist buy T4 as cheap as possible. The result of this is that we are taking medication to quote Dr. Peatfield, "that could have been made on the back streets of Malaga out of black beetle".
He feels that the best type of synthetic available in the UK is Eltroxin. He said that doctors do not generally prescribe this brand as it costs more but we should push for it.

He said that Eltroxin and a seperate glandular thyroid available from New Zealand beef would be the way forward and in addition something called a Thyrocomplex which contains all manner of things.

We then talked a little more and I asked why I feel so tired after exercising or going out for the day. I added that after a holiday I often need a week to recover!
He then said that it sounds like Adrenal failure!
However, we chatted some more about this and decided that with the right dose in the first place and the right type of medication my adrenals would not fail.

So we finally decided at the end of the consultation that ARMOUR was the way to go. I am unable to get this from my GP so I have to buy it online. I think it will be wort every penny. Dr Peatfield suggested that if it does work for me I am in a stronger permission to get it prescribed.

(Although, if anyone in the UK is reading this and wants to get Armour and can persuade your doctor to prescribe it now I have found a few contacts. See the bottom of this post).

In addition to Armour I will be taking the Thyrocomplex that he thinks will help.

We talked about other tests that I need to do now and they include temperature taking in the morning and evening (as a comparision) and also taking my pulse (which is slow all the time).
He also wants me to rule out candida as a cause of hypothyroidism and believe it or not you can do this easily.
Spit in to a glass first thing in the morning and wait about twenty minutes. If its goes all stringy and sinks you have it!
Dr Peatfield suggested that my husband to this too so that we can compare.
As crazy as this sounds Dr Peatfield has assured me this is correct.

In addition the adrenal testing may follow. But first I will switch to Armour and note down any changes in symptoms and note any improvements etc.

He also has noted down on my notes that I am probably low in progesterone.
Which he is hopeful will improve.

All in all I am delighted to have had the opportunity to meet Dr Peatfield. He is a very interesting man (with a great sense of humour) I strongly recommend his book to you all and a message to anyone in the UK a visit to Dr Peatfield is well worth your while. :lol:

Getting Armour in the UK?
If you have a prescription for Armour you can get it at the following places:

Springfield Pharmacy, 124 Sheen Road, Richmond, London TW9 1UR
Telephone 0208 255 8096 Fax 0208 940 2661
(I think they maybe able to put you into contact with a doctor who will prescribe it - you will have to check though as my source is not 100% reliable)

The Pharmacy, 7 Bentalls Shopping Centre, Colchester Rd, Heybridge, Maldon, Essex, CM9 4GD.
Tel 01621 850 559 and Fax 01621 857 868.

If you cannot get a prescription, you can buy it online, so do not despair.

P.s Please ignore any typo's I had to write this fast ;)

Nancy LC Tue, Jun-07-05 12:25

Woo hoo! Congratulations on finding a good (great even) doctor! Have you read his book?

Natrushka Tue, Jun-07-05 19:13

Scrummy, wow, what a report :) Thank you. Dr P sounds just as good in person as he does in his book. I'm so happy you were able to see him!

Nat

scrummy Wed, Jun-08-05 02:46

Nancy & Nat - I ordered the book immediately I read your posts about this man using the link you gave me. (listed below in case anyone else decides to buy it!)
I then searched for his contact details and spoke to him and we organised the meeting.

I re-read my post and I think I was a bit vague about the Thyro Complex that Dr Peatfield advised me to take. So thought I would add a little more about this.

I ordered the Nutri Thyro Complex yesterday and it arrived this morning! So I am very pleased with the service offered by Nutri Ltd. It cost £22.15 including postage for 1 months supply. (60 tablets)
I ordered it direct from Nutri Ltd (who produce it) on 0800 212 742 or 01663 718850 but I just discovered it is also available here: (you can read a little blurb about it here too)

Link for Nutri Thyro Complex http://www.yournutritionshop.com/Ma...o_complex_m.htm

(I believe that you can buy cheaper similar products also labelled Thyro Complex as I have had a good browse on the www today, but please do check the contents in case they are inferior in quality - This is the NUTRI Thyro Complex formulated by Martin Budd)

A link to buy Dr. Peatfields book (The Great Thyroid Scandal and how to survive it):
http://www.baronsdownpublishing.com/

I also found a website of another lady who was treated by Dr. Peatfield.
http://www.thyroidtears.co.uk/

Natrushka Wed, Jun-08-05 07:46

I was familiar with the product (thyroplex) - Dr. P discusses it in his book and provides links where you can order / buy it (along with other resources).

His book is one of the best ones out there, Scrummy. I highly recommed it.

scrummy Wed, Jun-08-05 07:55

Is ThyroPlex a glandular?

I know that Nutri Thyro Complex is not a glandular.

Yes, I can't wait for the book to arrive it should be here anyday now :lol:

The Armour I ordered should be here fairly soon too. I am looking forward to starting the new meds.

Natrushka Wed, Jun-08-05 12:51

I'm pretty sure it's a glandular, Scummy. I looked it up briefly a while back (after I got the book).

You're lucky - it took 3 weeks for my book to arrive. Then again, it travelled quite a ways ;)

wcollier Sun, Jun-12-05 09:26

Hi Scrummy:

Wow, that's fantastic! I think I was just as nervous as you were after suggesting him to you. LOL

Please keep us updated on how things go. Do you see him again?

scrummy Mon, Jun-13-05 03:05

Hi,

The consultation fee included all the phone support I need so I think I will only go to see him again if things don't work out and then we will need to revise the treatment plan. !?!

I feel like I could phone him daily as I constantly have a query or question. I have decided to set a pattern up and initially I'll call him fortnightly when I have something to report or when I receive results etc. I'll call him next when I have a temperature and pulse chart established. I am surprised to report that I have a very weedy, slow pulse. Dr Peatfield did comment on my slow pulse too. (I can hardly find it in the morning!)

I am still waiting for the Armour to arrive!! The last few days I have been exhausted so it I will be a very welcome arrival.

I am finding alot of the answers searching existing threads on the forum, I am totally amazed by the amount of people in a silmilar/same situation as I am! I also found another forum and the stories are just endless same old problem, normal TSH and still hypo.

A quick soap box rant!

Now I have seen a good doctor I am increasingly concerned at the number of general practitioners in the UK who are not prepared to educate/re-educate themselves about hypothyroidism and provide the care that they trained to offer.

I am also very concerned about the financial element too.
People who are hypo or hyper do not pay for meds in the UK so it would appear that they are given the cheapest types available.
So not only are patients symptoms ignored or dismissed by some doctors in the UK after a "normal" blood test, but when they do agree a treatment plan they prescribe inferior medication and make matters worse this is then consolidated by the pharmacist supplying the cheapest meds he/she can get - what chance do we have?

Nancy LC Mon, Jun-13-05 08:09

Yeah, isn't it horrible? It's not just the UK, its everywhere. Researchers are publishing all kinds of papers right now about T3/T4 studies where they say that patients prefer the T3/T4 therapy, but they don't see any objective proof that T3 does anything. Their conclusion: Continue to prescribe just T4.

The medical establishment is a glacier. It took 10 years, with lots and lots of involvement from the NIH, for the new information about ulcers being caused by a bacteria, to disseminate to most doctors here in the US. There's a real resistance to new information or else there just isn't anything in place to reeducate doctors.

Now imagine if today the NIH decided that doctors should change their standard course of treating thyroid (which has not happened yet). It'd be probably a good 10 years, if they really push at it, before it would actually start to happen at the GP level.

This change in treatment isn't being led at the top though, its happening from the bottom, the patients. Only the relatively few patients who manage to figure it out on their own are trying to reeducate their doctors, and the resistance is incredible. It'll take decades, if it ever happens.

wcollier Mon, Jun-13-05 08:23

Scrummy, I hear ya about the pulse. My pulse is so weak, I have to take it with my thumb instead of my fingers. Other times, it beats hard, like at night.

Nance, to put things in perspective - Louis Pasteur was vilified by the medical establishment when he suggested that bacteria spreads disease and they should begin washing their hands. Change is slow in the medical community, no question. That's what happens when you get a bunch of God complexes together in one profession. The openminded ones embrace change, but the others resist.

Nancy LC Mon, Jun-13-05 10:06

While I really hate it, that the medical establishment is so danged glacial, it probably is a good thing too. I have seen many times medical fads come and go that were either detrimental to people or just didn't do a damn thing. If the establishment were extremely quick to jump onto fads, I think our health care might ultimately suffer.

Although... they do jump onto fads now that I think of it. The latest fad is anti-depressants. They pegging everyone as being depressed, probably because its easier than actually having to do any real diagnosis and treatment. I mean, you hear the statistics that come out where 25% of the people are depressed. Really? Couldn't it be that a lot of people are just unhealthy in one way or another and that affects their mental prognosis?

I would wonder how much of this reluctance to change is because of the enormous egos, fear of being sued for malpractice, so do what everyone else does, or fear of being challenged by your collegues, clinic, hospital, etc. It's just herd mentality, I think. Everyone else does this, so it must be right.

Even as critical as I am, if I had a serious disease, I'd seek out the best that western medicine has to offer... but I realize I have to augment that with my own research as well.

My brother has prostate cancer at a pretty young age and he's lucky it was found. Not that long ago it would not have been found. If it had been found, the surgery would have likely left him incontinent and impotent. Things are much better nowadays.

wcollier Mon, Jun-13-05 17:52

Yeah, between statins and anti-depressants. :rolleyes: How Medicine ever embraced the idea that fats alone cause heart disease is beyond me.

scrummy Wed, Jun-15-05 03:42

Hi

My Armour has arrived today.

I was taking 125mcg of Levothyroxine and I will be taking 2x 1 grain (60mcg) of Armour.

I took them both tablets together this morning but I have read that it can be useful to take one in morning and one in the afternoon due to the T3 content.

If anyone can add any information or tips about taking Armour, or the change from synthetic to natural, I would be pleased to hear your comments.

Nancy LC Wed, Jun-15-05 12:04

Now that I'm used to the armour, I have no issues with taking both at once in the morning. But before I got accustomed to it, I'd have gotten a bit twitchy.

Another thing, you may have unusual side-effect in the beginning. I got itchy and had a hard time sleeping in the PM. But they went away. It took a few weeks.

If you have a hard time tolerating it, start with a small dose and gradually increase by .5 grain every week or two.