Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Confession Booth (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   If I needed proof - I got it! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=459360)

Bonnie OFS Sat, Apr-05-14 13:15

If I needed proof - I got it!

I haven't had any wheat since early September. But last night I fell off the wagon (OK - I jumped!) and had soup that was likely thickened with flour, 2 crackers, and several cookies. This morning I woke up with aching fingers, ankles, and legs. I had forgotten that I used to feel this horrible nearly all the time.

Never again. A few bites of goodies - which did taste good - simply aren't worth the pain.

And the latte after dinner didn't help my blood sugar any. It was - for me - frighteningly high.

I'm back on the wheat-free sugar-free low-carb wagon. I wrote down how bad I feel so I won't be tempted again.

ojoj Sat, Apr-05-14 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I haven't had any wheat since early September. But last night I fell off the wagon (OK - I jumped!) and had soup that was likely thickened with flour, 2 crackers, and several cookies. This morning I woke up with aching fingers, ankles, and legs. I had forgotten that I used to feel this horrible nearly all the time.

Never again. A few bites of goodies - which did taste good - simply aren't worth the pain.

And the latte after dinner didn't help my blood sugar any. It was - for me - frighteningly high.

I'm back on the wheat-free sugar-free low-carb wagon. I wrote down how bad I feel so I won't be tempted again.

Yes!!!!! I'm the same, I've had an occasion when I'd inadvertently eaten wheat and during the night, horrible leg cramps and in the morning, I was hobbling around, barely able to walk down the stairs cos my joints were so tight and painful. I also had a migraine - something else that become a dim and distant memory.

The interesting thing is that until these symptoms appeared, I hadnt realised I'd eaten wheat, so it wasnt psychosomatic. I checked the menu from the previous night and there it was WHEAT!

Jo xxx

tragedian Sat, Apr-05-14 17:45

Those symptoms are good for something at least, aren't they?

dmarie328 Sun, Apr-06-14 01:05

Years ago when I found out I had celiac disease I thought my life was over, now I think it's a blessing!! Gluten is evil.

ojoj Sun, Apr-06-14 03:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie328
Years ago when I found out I had celiac disease I thought my life was over, now I think it's a blessing!! Gluten is evil.

My mother had coeliacs disease, so its probable that I may have it. However according to my doctor, if I want a conclusive test I have to eat gluten or 12 weeks prior to testing. So I wont bother

Jo xxx

CaliRocker Tue, Aug-19-14 06:39

Feel free to ask your server at any restaurant you go to what's in a dish. It's their job to give you this information and they will be happy to go ask the cooks, unless they are a bad server with a horrible attitude.