Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Dr Weil's comments on 5HTP... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=86039)

quietone Tue, Feb-11-03 12:48

Dr Weil's comments on 5HTP...

...Promoters claim that 5-HTP is more effective than tryptophan in relieving depression, sleeping problems and, possibly, narcotics withdrawal. However, I have seen no scientific evidence demonstrating that it works as advertised. Anyone taking any type of anti-depressant medication should avoid 5-HTP, except under a physician’s supervision. Side effects include nausea, constipation, flatulence, drowsiness and reduced sex drive. In high doses, 5-HTP may cause liver problems and aggravate asthma. Women who are pregnant or planning to become pregnant shouldn’t take it....

...As for foods: with or without 5-HTP, high carbohydrate meals may increase serotonin levels, but this varies from person to person. I wouldn’t depend on diet to increase serotonin levels – you could get a brief boost from a candy bar, but even if you do, it won’t last. The impact of more complex carbohydrates is less clear. Paradoxically, while protein rich foods contain tryptophan these same foods have been found to block serotonin production....

I knew I had seen something not good about it somewhere!

jessea Wed, Feb-12-03 20:59

I am sure not every supplement isn't right for everybody, but the 5 HTP is a miracle for me. I can't believe how a good nights sleep makes you feel. Everyday I am feeling better. There might be alternatives to 5HTP, but the most important thing is to GET BETTER SLEEP!! I can't stress this enough, since I am sleeping better, my legs feel great!!!

-Jess

quietone Thu, Feb-13-03 07:51

I'm so glad it is working for you. I may try it myself (despite the good doctor's warnings). You're right...a good night's sleep is imperative for your health.

puppetlady Sat, Feb-15-03 09:49

In addition to 5-htp there are other herbs that help me sleep
I take an herbal sleep aid when I really need to sleep .Which I
probably should take every night. As you can see it is the herbs that are higher amounts I am guessing the cal mag just helps it all work together. I am finding that when I take lower amounts of multiple herbs I get better results. Each one does its thing without being overpowering. Well that is my two cents for the day. Debbie

Here are the ingredients
calcium 50 mg
niacin 50 mg
B6 20 mg
magnesium 114 mg
kava kava 200 mg
valerian 150 mg
lemon balm 150 mg
passion flower 150 mg
melatonin 5 mg

JustAGirl Sun, Feb-06-22 05:00

I have seen significant health benefits (better sleep, mood, digestion to name a few) since I started taking 5-HTP.

I hope everyone finds what works for them; I pray good health for all. :) :rheart:

Nancy LC Sun, Feb-06-22 10:44

For some reason the only non-drug sleep aid that works for me is Trader Joe's Calming Sleep formula. It has L-theanine, 5-htp and melatonin. I've tried other brands with the same ingredients, but they don't do a thing for me. It's weird. I figure it's a placebo thing.

Ms Arielle Sun, Feb-06-22 22:09

Might be the ingredient list is not what is in the package......

5htp is an otc supplement recommended by dr Amen. For specific situations.

My son benefitted greatly when he took this to balance his meds for ADHD. Eventually as he built friendships and got into gaming on line with same friends he didnt need the 5htp.... The friends became his serotonin.

He is in his 6th year gaming. Same friends. Online gaming 2-3 nights a week. And they get together for one week in the summer to camp, cook and game.

5htp was a blessing. Thank you Dr Daniel Amen.

JLx Mon, Feb-07-22 10:26

My experience with it, even in small doses, is that it makes my stomach just hurt. Xylitol sweetener does the same thing.