Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Australia / New Zealand (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Aria Farm meat chips (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=101563)

floribunda Sun, Apr-27-03 23:54

Aria Farm meat chips

Have any Kiwis tried these frozen meat chips (made in Hamilton)? They come in lamb, chicken, pork & beef & all have less than 1g per 100g of carbohydrate (each one has different amount).

We found some lamb chips in our supermarket freezer today, read the ingredients list & took some home to eat for lunch. They were delicious. It cost under $5 for 500g which the two of us ate at one sitting - a bit greedy - they could go further!
They are quick to cook as you put them in a pre-heated oven, still frozen, for 10 minutes. They can also be fried or grilled.

Ingredients per 100g serving for the lamb ones are -
18.3g protein, 12.4g fat (6.4 saturated fat), 0.2g carb, 0g sugar, 298mg potassium, 138 mg sodium, 2.2mg iron
They contain over 97% meat plus herbs & spices, seaweed extract as gelling agent, vege protein, acidity regulators & ascorbic acid (vitC) as anti-oxidant . These additives seem natural.

They are not crisp (the word chip refers to the shape I guess) & are spoiled by overcooking so don't try to crisp them. The texture is more like luncheon sausage. Great for a quick snack - lots of creative possibilities. Any comments?

geraldine Mon, Apr-28-03 00:27

aria chips

Hi,

My daughter loves these for dinner. Must try and get some for myself. They sound good - I guess no Tomato sauce though!!

Geri :wave:

kiwichick Mon, Apr-28-03 22:08

Tomato sauce

Hi
Those chips are yummy. Tomato sauce - well Jok'anal (sorry not sure of exact spelling) sell sugar free tomato sauce it is very yummy. It think is may have fructose in it (not sure) - so I guess it depends on where you are at with your Induction or Maintenance etc.
They also sell jams and sauces (like chutney sauce etc). They are made for diabetics and made in NZ. The New World on Willis St in Wellington sell them. I think they are in the diabetic shelf.
Check it out!
:thup:

Maren Tue, Apr-29-03 00:39

Where do you buy the meat chips?

macadamia Tue, Apr-29-03 02:11

Thanks Floribunda

I had forgotten about those chips - had tried them when they first came out -wasn't that keen -but now I'm on the new WOE they might be very handyto have in freezer.
Cheers

geraldine Tue, Apr-29-03 17:17

aria chips

Hi Maren,

I have found them in Foodtown Auckland in the freezer section

Good to have stored away in case of emergencies when you don't have fresh meat.

Happy hunting

Geri :wave:

macadamia Wed, Apr-30-03 02:31

I have purchased them from Pak 'N Save in Auckland too.

bananagirl Tue, Jan-06-04 22:06

aria meat chips

I have used them and found them to be pretty good as far as easy convenience foods go for Low Carbers. I have used them and frozen chinese vegie mix to do v quick chinese stirfry. Handy to have in the freezer cos if you want a low carb snak they only take 5mins to make.
By the way is it 81.3g protein? otherwise there are a whole heap of grms missing

bananagirl Wed, Jan-07-04 14:12

was thinking after reading these posts that u could easily make meat chips yourself.
From looking at them they are just minced meat with herbs and a binding agent so there is no reason you couldnt just get beef, lamb or chicken mince and chuck in an egg or two for the binder. To replicate the chip look you can just press the meat/egg mix into a shallow baking dish or sponge tin and bake at a low temp til cooked and slice when cool. Should be the same, as the only reason that the meat chips take so little time to cook is that they've been precooked. Am going to try this afternoon and will report back