Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Fats Making Us Sugar Addicts (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484473)

WereBear Sat, Sep-26-20 08:10

The Fats Making Us Sugar Addicts

I am sure a lot of us have wondered about the fat & sugar combo that makes our trigger foods so irresistible.

This article by Dr. Cate comes from her participation in Quit Sugar Summit 2020, which took place in late spring.

Quote:
If you’re ready to extract your sweet tooth, lets get you up to speed on the difference between the two kinds of addiction and how fixing the metabolic addiction to sugar can’t happen while your diet is full of the kinds of fats that drive metabolic sugar addiction in the first place.

I wrote about this in Deep Nutrition in a somewhat self-congratulatory manner, as if getting off sugar can be simple for anyone who has truly made up their mind to do it. But it wasn’t until after publishing the book that I realized sugar addiction goes way beyond willpower and the only reason I could get off sugar was that I’d fixed my metabolism by first getting off the oils that drove me to sugar in the first place.

The Fats Making Us Sugar Addicts

Dr. Cate is, above all, fierce about the dangers of high-PUFA fats.

Quote:
I didn’t know it at the time but my blood tests were shockingly bad. I had a fasting blood sugar of 113, and my HDL was embarrassingly low at 29. The symptoms I got when hungry, the blood tests, and my obsession with chocolate were all warning signs of a damaged metabolism and they were all coming from the same cause: a lifetime of high-PUFA seed oil consumption.

I got a dramatic improvement from my chronic inflammation issues when I started mindfully cutting down my own high-PUFA intake. I've cut out seeds themselves when they seemed to be part of my joint issues. I think this is highly pertinent to the low carb community. Our recognition of healthy fats must include things like mayonnaise, salad dressings, and other products which are low carb, but high-PUFA.

Quote:
So by the time I made up my mind that I was going to cut out sugar, my metabolism was healthy enough to fuel with my body fat instead. Because I poured so much cream in my coffee, I had energy to burn all morning. Eventually I realized I didn’t even need to bother with lunch. Meanwhile, the anxiety, irritability and late afternoon fatigue that I’d come to accept as part of how I was wired had completely melted away. It turns out those bad moods and tendency towards laziness were just manifestations of a sugar dependent metabolism.

She goes into the science of it in the article, which has lots of other good info. So if we are counting carbs, fighting cravings, and baffled about a roadblock in our path, it just might be the "healthy" PUFA fats still lurking in our diet.

thud123 Sat, Sep-26-20 08:56

This includes most brands our our "beloved" pork rinds :(

Ms Arielle Sat, Sep-26-20 09:09

I ,too, purposely cut out PUFAs 12 months ago. Gone. Enough other options to replace the bottle of vegetable oil.

However, ready made salad dressings and mayo continue to be a problem. Mayo made with better oils are VERY expensive, the easy solution was to nearly cut out all mayo......nearly.

The salad dressings remain an issue. Homemade dressings dont meet the palate requirements when my teens are picky about which dressings they prefer.

I feel guilty pushing salads when it will become covered in PUFAs.

My addictions are bread loaded with butter, and cookie dough .....both a problem even if done up with Kerrygold butter....

GRB5111 Sat, Sep-26-20 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I am sure a lot of us have wondered about the fat & sugar combo that makes our trigger foods so irresistible.

This article by Dr. Cate comes from her participation in Quit Sugar Summit 2020, which took place in late spring.

Dr. Cate is, above all, fierce about the dangers of high-PUFA fats.

I got a dramatic improvement from my chronic inflammation issues when I started mindfully cutting down my own high-PUFA intake. I've cut out seeds themselves when they seemed to be part of my joint issues. I think this is highly pertinent to the low carb community. Our recognition of healthy fats must include things like mayonnaise, salad dressings, and other products which are low carb, but high-PUFA.

She goes into the science of it in the article, which has lots of other good info. So if we are counting carbs, fighting cravings, and baffled about a roadblock in our path, it just might be the "healthy" PUFA fats still lurking in our diet.

Good article, I've bookmarked it, as it's worth sharing. I like the differentiation between sugar craving and being metabolically driven to consume sugar. Back in my carb addicted days, I experienced hypoglycemia many times. It's a very useful and serious warning sign.

Zei Sat, Sep-26-20 12:55

Marty Kendall's take on the same subject: https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...l-myth-busting/
While I found the entire article intersting, for the portion directly on this subject go down to the last (#10) myth and read below it down to the end of the article about the negative effects of consuming both carbohydrate and fat in significant amounts together. Glad the problems that this food combo can create is starting to receive wider recognition through more medical professionals like Dr. Cate getting the word out. I consider PUFA's (omega 6's) particularly troublesome for health, but the negative effects on appetite control, etc., of carb plus fat food combinations can occur even with healthier sources of carb and fat.

Zei Sat, Sep-26-20 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
This includes most brands our our "beloved" pork rinds :(

I've observed pig and poultry fats (what's in the pan after cooking) are much softer when cooled than beef fat. I think pigs, chickens, turkeys have higher polyunsaturated fats in their bodies causing this softer fat than beef, which has more saturated (to me good) fat. I cooled some turkey broth, looked at that squishy fat on top and just threw that out. Pork rinds of course do have some fat in them (also watch to be sure they're fried in pork not industrial seed oil fats) but I also wonder about bacon fat as well. I do eat some (yummy!), but out of concern for omega 6 content do get much more of my fat from beef. And with keeping on topic, not with high carb hash browns!

Ms Arielle Sat, Sep-26-20 17:31

Yes, pork fat takes on the same properties as what they eat.. if its a soft fat at body temp, the the pigs fat wil also be soft. Cattle put on a hard fat.