Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Marty Kendall's Data-Driven Fasting (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484792)

BawdyWench Sun, Mar-21-21 06:35

I'm up a pound today. Geezum crow! I started on February 18 at 199.8, reached 194 on March 2, got down to 192 a couple days ago, and now back up to 193. I suppose 7-ish pounds in 4 weeks is an ok loss, but I really think it should have been more. I've spent the past 2 weeks between 192 and 194, down and up and down and up.

My macros have been good, at least I think I'm following the guidelines from Marty Kendall and Ted Naiman. Marty says to be sure protein is at least 40% of calories. When you do that, you're simply not that hungry for more food, so my calories have always been under 1000 since I started, and average about 850. Protein averages 99 grams (46% of calories), carbs average 22 grams, and fat averages 38 grams.

Maybe I'm not drinking enough water. I've never understood what drinking a ton of water does, but people swear by it, so I started upping my intake yesterday. I'm thinking about trying a higher-calorie day with the calories coming from fat rather than carbs to see if anything happens.

Am I trying to rush things? Should I be more patient? NO!!! I WANT INSTANT GRATIFICATION!!! :lol:

thud123 Sun, Mar-21-21 08:32

Eat if hungry (and at or below trigger), Drink when thirsty. I'm impatient too but if you just keep grinding this summer we should see some significant differences. A month doesn't mean shit, unless you're eating like shit then I can put on the lbs like a madman!

BawdyWench Sun, Mar-21-21 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Eat if hungry (and at or below trigger), Drink when thirsty. I'm impatient too but if you just keep grinding this summer we should see some significant differences. A month doesn't mean shit, unless you're eating like shit then I can put on the lbs like a madman!

Yup, I eat only when hungry (and only whole foods, no crap), and drink when thirsty, and OVERTHINK EVERYTHING. I know a month is nothing, but I'd still love to be making better progress. At least I'm not giving up. I'm in it for the long haul. Thanks, Thud!

thud123 Sun, Mar-21-21 08:53

You Got This!

BawdyWench Mon, Mar-22-21 05:25

OK, so the higher-calorie day (from more fat and carbs) plus almost 70 oz of water was a bust. I'm up 2 pounds from yesterday morning. Of course, it might be gone and then some by tomorrow. Back to the low fat, low carbs, high protein, and yes, more water.

thud123 Mon, Mar-22-21 07:10

32oz water = ~2lbs

BawdyWench Mon, Mar-22-21 07:13

Correct, but I did do a copious amount of peeing yesterday, too. :p

thud123 Mon, Mar-22-21 07:20

Did you measure the output? ;)

BawdyWench Mon, Mar-22-21 07:26

Doesn't everyone?????

thud123 Mon, Mar-22-21 07:26

>>>>>> LOL LOL LOL <<<<<< You've got a good sense of humor BW!

JEY100 Mon, Mar-22-21 07:37

And that is why she is Bawdy. :lol:

I had the lowest waking BG this morning in 6 months.
Of course, I immediately think it is a meter error...but I did NOT retest it!
Take these little wins.

I restarted at our Fitness Center last week, not having done any weights or much exercise but walking since September. The low BG gave me the incentive to add more weight this morning.

BawdyWench Mon, Mar-22-21 08:17

Woo-hoo!!!! Janet, that's great! You had your lowest waking BG ever, and I had my highest (115) ... and I certainly did NOT record it online. I did in my own spreadsheet, but there I could add a note as to why it was so high.

You set a good example to follow. Unlike me (check signature).

GRB5111 Mon, Mar-22-21 09:00

I wouldn't have retested the low or recorded the high either. Accept one as gospel, forget the other ;)

Got the second vaccine dose Friday. Looking forward to mixing the gym back into the equation. Not always a fan of cold, wet days and outdoor workouts, so getting back to the normal routine should be good.

The new Keto Mojo meter is on its way, and specified glucose test strips only, not ketone. Interesting story, but not for this thread. Hope the upgraded meter is as consistent for BG as the one I currently have. DDF highlighted the realization there's no need to test for ketones. :daze:

BawdyWench Mon, Mar-22-21 11:31

ANNOUNCEMENT!

I hereby enact two new rules for this forum:
  1. Gains of 0.2 pounds are NOT counted. They are ignored and seen as "noise."
  2. Losses of 0.2 pounds are MOST CERTAINLY counted. They are real losses.

thud123 Tue, Mar-23-21 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I wouldn't have retested the low or recorded the high either. Accept one as gospel, forget the other ;)

Got the second vaccine dose Friday. Looking forward to mixing the gym back into the equation. Not always a fan of cold, wet days and outdoor workouts, so getting back to the normal routine should be good.

The new Keto Mojo meter is on its way, and specified glucose test strips only, not ketone. Interesting story, but not for this thread. Hope the upgraded meter is as consistent for BG as the one I currently have. DDF highlighted the realization there's no need to test for ketones. :daze:

Rob,

I've got the new one (trade in) and new strips, not a huge fan - bg readings all over the place multiple strips, same drop - however, i'm not sure any other commercial ones better. Also, i'm going to use up my BhB strips then bag measuring those any longer. I've got a pretty good idea of where they are.

I might look around and try another meter head to head with Keto-Mojo - You might not like the way the strips are packaged - I'm getting used to handling them - I suppose they will have longer shelf life and perhaps better control being individually wrapped. Kind of a waste of material but - there you go.

I did sign up for unlimited DDF - I kind of like the way the "app" really a web site, is evolving. I'm blocking lots of callbacks to facebook on it tho. I don't sending tracking data back to facebook. it is what it is.

BawdyWench Tue, Mar-23-21 09:40

My FB news feed was inundated with notifications of everyone posting to the DDF page, so I turned it off. Instead, I check the page a couple times a day.

I use the Precision Xtra meter with individually wrapped strips. Not sure how accurate it is, but good enough to show trends.

GRB5111 Tue, Mar-23-21 10:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Rob,

I've got the new one (trade in) and new strips, not a huge fan - bg readings all over the place multiple strips, same drop - however, i'm not sure any other commercial ones better. Also, i'm going to use up my BhB strips then bag measuring those any longer. I've got a pretty good idea of where they are.

I might look around and try another meter head to head with Keto-Mojo - You might not like the way the strips are packaged - I'm getting used to handling them - I suppose they will have longer shelf life and perhaps better control being individually wrapped. Kind of a waste of material but - there you go.

I did sign up for unlimited DDF - I kind of like the way the "app" really a web site, is evolving. I'm blocking lots of callbacks to facebook on it tho. I don't sending tracking data back to facebook. it is what it is.

Thanks, Thud. I'm bracing myself for the new meter. I wasn't happy with the way this was done, as the offer for a "free" meter with 2 units of ketone and 2 units of glucose strips was hardly a good deal, particularly when I didn't have use for the ketone strips. In fact, it was a higher total price than when I initially bought the meter back in 2017. I went back-and-forth with them, and they agreed to send me 4 units of glucose strips. I'll be doing a head-to-head with the old and new versions to verify how the new "free" meter is doing. Guess being a lifetime member of their Founder's Club didn't amount to much. Let's share experiences, as the strips for the old meter are no longer being sold and I have a supply for comparison purposes. I may end up with another BG meter if the new meter is inconsistent.

I'd like to get the DDF spreadsheet and am willing to pay, but I will not do anything when FB is required. I'm hoping Marty sees the wisdom of making the spreadsheet available to us FB deniers.

BawdyWench Wed, Mar-24-21 08:55

Wow! I just had my lowest pre-meal BG reading. 67!!! My Main Meal is dinner, and lunch is deemed a Discretionary Meal. Sometimes I get hungry by around 10:00 am, and other times not until around 1:00 pm. I was getting peckish this morning at 10:30, so I tested BG and got the 67. Yesterday the same thing happened and the reading then was 74.

Could this possibly mean that my body is starting to adapt to this schedule of eating, the lowered calories and fat, and the higher protein levels? Might it mean my body is "working" better now and just might release some pounds?

When I started DDF on February 18, my first trigger was 96. Now it's 85 in the app, and 81 in the spreadsheet! I would not have believed it had I not lived it. Wow.

thud123 Thu, Mar-25-21 06:06

Nice! We are less than a month into it. Keep going, give it 6 months or more :) I've signed up for unlimited to keep using the app as my carrot and seeing how his program might evolve. I'm curious when and if there's a "maintenance" switch that you can throw in the app between sessions. I'll do a new baseline I'm sure for the next sesh and continue to review my NO Master Class material that I purchased to better fill out my 30 food list.

As we're fasting, concentrate on the best nutrition possible. No Grains, sugar and other super palatable foods except as possible BG experiments adding foods to the list. Here's mine so far (stretching to get 30)

Some are kind of repetative like that great scene in Forest Gump when Bubba is recalling all the ways to eat shrimp;

Bubba Blue: "There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad..."

1 beef
2 chicken
3 broccoli
4 spinach
5 cauliflower
6 tomato
7 tuna
8 sardines
9 salmon
10 cucumber
11 cabbage
12 yogurt
13 sour cream
14 shrimp
15 nori
16 kimchi
17 sauerkraut
18 Asparagus
19 kale
20 radish (red/diakon)
21 red/green/yellow peppers
22 pork
23 onion
24 garlic
25 lamb
26 green beans
27 eggs
28 mushrooms
29 collared greens

BawdyWench Thu, Mar-25-21 06:10

So now I'm starting to think I'll sign up for the unlimited version, too. I like the spreadsheet, but there's something about all the sexy graphs on the app that keep me motivated. Heck, I've wasted enough money on all kinds of things that haven't worked. This approach is working well, just not for weight loss at the moment. My waking BG was 90, so that downward trend is ongoing also (in addition to my pre-meal readings). I just don't see why I'm not dropping any pounds in the past 2 weeks.

thud123 Thu, Mar-25-21 06:13

work, work, work, wait, wait, wait.

BawdyWench Thu, Mar-25-21 06:14

The trouble with instant gratification is that it's not fast enough.

thud123 Thu, Mar-25-21 06:18

I like that one!

GRB5111 Thu, Mar-25-21 10:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
The trouble with instant gratification is that it's not fast enough.

I'm using this. So true . . .

BawdyWench Fri, Mar-26-21 08:26

Still waiting for that instant gratification to kick in. I was down a bit more this morning, within less than a pound of where I was last Saturday. Trigger and BG readings continue to decrease, so I know good things are happening.

This morning I signed up for the unlimited program. (By the way, it's truly unlimited, according to Marty, even past this year.) I'm not getting much out of the daily postings, and I can read and understand the manual on my own so don't have to pay much attention to the daily posts and online guides. Still, the app is good and will continue to improve (still finding glitches), and it seems to motivate me to record my readings and stats every day. I'm a bit anal and post both in the app and in the spreadsheet.

Things HAVE to start moving soon. One thing I think is a hopeful sign is that I'm now 35 days in and I haven't cheated or tweaked or given up ... or even had an urge to. That speaks volumes for me.

BawdyWench Sat, Mar-27-21 09:08

Getting hungry!!! Waking BG this morning was 88, and now, 5 hours later it's 95. Current trigger is 82! Will wait another hour and try again before eating.

JEY100 Mon, Mar-29-21 06:50

Today I am claiming that .2 pound loss for my lowest weight since August, and this challenge. However I also have the highest waking blood glucose, still only 110 but what's that about? :) Of course, announcing that here means my weight will go up until Saturday. I am slowly adding weight to the machines as I get back into my little fitness center routine. Far from rebuilding the muscle I had, but who knows what is getting messed up by that? :lol: :wave:

BawdyWench Mon, Mar-29-21 07:30

ANNOUNCEMENT!

I hereby enact two new rules for this forum:
  1. Gains of 0.2 pounds are NOT counted. They are ignored and seen as "noise."
  2. Losses of 0.2 pounds are MOST CERTAINLY counted. They are real losses.

JEY100 Mon, Mar-29-21 07:56

That's why I laughed this morning when my Renpho scale beeped...Oh boy..it's only .2 pounds down! but Bawdy said we could claim it! I think gamifying the challenge is getting to me. :lol:

BawdyWench Mon, Mar-29-21 08:39

Hey, just trying to help!

Janet, have you found that you can predict your BG level based on hunger or other cues? I sure can't. My waking BG was 100 today, and now (at 10:30 am) I'm pretty darn hungry so I took it again. Just 96. I'll wait another hour or so, but I was SURE the number would be in the 80s.