Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Julia Ross books... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484814)

JustAGirl Sat, Mar-06-21 19:51

Julia Ross books...

Anyone using Julia Ross's research in their planning?

Ms Arielle Mon, Mar-08-21 07:43

She is new to me.

WereBear Mon, Mar-08-21 13:57

The Mood Cure. Read it, loved it, living it.

JustAGirl Tue, Mar-09-21 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The Mood Cure. Read it, loved it, living it.

Cool. :) Which amino's do you use?

WereBear Wed, Mar-10-21 03:45

Niacin, and L-theanine are staples, and GABA as needed.

Ms Arielle Wed, Mar-10-21 05:15

I drink lots of green tea, 4-5 cups most days. A supplement I picked up from Dr Amen's book Healing ADD. And thanks to WB, added niacin recently.

BawdyWench Wed, Mar-10-21 05:57

I have several of her books. If I remember correctly, she's heavy into supplements. Maybe they're needed, but I hate taking fistfuls of supplements daily. This doesn't mean her approach doesn't work. It probably does for many people.

WereBear Fri, Mar-12-21 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I have several of her books. If I remember correctly, she's heavy into supplements. Maybe they're needed, but I hate taking fistfuls of supplements daily. This doesn't mean her approach doesn't work. It probably does for many people.

No one enjoys it. But I figure most of us have been suffering from years of malnutrition and anti-nutrients.

I take supplements because, over the years, I've seen clear improvement with my issues from certain key supplements. That makes my morning handful of vital nutrients so worth it :wave:

JustAGirl Sun, Mar-14-21 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
No one enjoys it. But I figure most of us have been suffering from years of malnutrition and anti-nutrients.

I take supplements because, over the years, I've seen clear improvement with my issues from certain key supplements. That makes my morning handful of vital nutrients so worth it :wave:

I completely agree.

BawdyWench Mon, Mar-15-21 05:11

I guess everyone is different. The only supplement that I notice a difference with is magnesium. I've gone the route of 16 - 18 capsules morning and night, and see no difference after months of taking them, and then no difference when I stop.

But, if you feel you need them and feel better when you take them, then you should take them.

WereBear Tue, Mar-16-21 05:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
But, if you feel you need them and feel better when you take them, then you should take them.

Oh, I understand! I've discovered that if anyone has a health issue, it's worth looking into how supplements might help.

My own reading of Niacin: the Real Story is a good example.. This is a nutrient (amino acid, really) that must be taken in supplement form because of the quantity needed. It has done absolute wonders for my anxiety where psychiatric drugs failed.

The book explains that the organism can be stressed -- in this case the brain -- so that normal function can require more nutrients than before the stress. His early patients were Canadian POWs who survived Japanese prison camps. Nothing worked as well as niacin; which enabled so many of them to recover and resume a normal life.

I can even see the clues, which is that pellagra is a disease of niacin insufficiency, and it's most striking symptoms is dramatically dysfunctional mental disorder. It's the most imperative reason why grain products are routinely supplemented.

JustAGirl Sun, Oct-03-21 21:30

I am so grateful for 5htp.
I am going to eliminate the tyrosine for a while. I think it is causing constipation. Anyone else encountered this from tyrosine?

Ms Arielle Mon, Oct-04-21 06:45

Funny, you mention tyrosine. I just started a two dose regiment. Of course I'm forgetful, so usually it's once a day.

No problem with constipation. But then I do tend to eat fruit everyday. 1-2 servings. And vegetables.

Now that you mention the constipation, I will pay more attention.

JustAGirl Mon, Oct-04-21 20:27

I think I was taking too much of it.

WereBear Tue, Oct-05-21 05:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
I think I was taking too much of it.

Good thinking. Small amounts and constant feedback is how I try to figure out what works for me.