Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Marty Kendall's Data-Driven Fasting (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484792)

Iceberg Tue, Aug-10-21 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Great results, iceberg!

If you have unlimited, you will be glad to know Marty is working hard on revising the Masterclass for 2021 to make it less daunting. And there are two more DDFs this year…looking at my year in review :) I think I more consistently lose weight with DDF.

Yes, I have unlimited for both DDF and MC. It was a no brainer for me. I like the community and think it helps me to push on tho I'm not a real active poster I do read a lot of what is there.

I really haven't given MC a fair shot, I let it overwhelm me, but feel I'm in a better place mentally this time to last the 6 weeks. :D

I've lost a bit over 16 lbs from 3 DDFs and nada on MC...lol. Total weight lost since 26 Jan is now 27.5 lbs. I've set a target and still have 50 to 60 lbs to go.

JEY100 Sun, Aug-22-21 12:09

Iceberg (and your alter-ego on Facebook)...how are you doing with Masterclass this time? I am getting into it more, just not doing two programs at the same time is a big help, and not moderating this class since I'm not sure what I am doing yet. :lol: I hit another low weight this morning by a half pound, so something is sinking in. I like the new meal plans!! they are great even though I am not sure how to use Dropbox and get them to where the recipes open directly through a hyper-link. I will try to use more recipes this time. I've spent most of this morning fiddling with these apps, and spent some time adding old weights to my records in the apps so my graphs are more complete.

Iceberg Sun, Aug-22-21 13:40

Quote:
Iceberg (and your alter-ego on Facebook)...how are you doing with Masterclass this time? I am getting into it more, just not doing two programs at the same time is a big help, and not moderating this class since I'm not sure what I am doing yet. :lol: I hit another low weight this morning by a half pound, so something is sinking in. I like the new meal plans!! they are great even though I am not sure how to use Dropbox and get them to where the recipes open directly through a hyper-link. I will try to use more recipes this time. I've spent most of this morning fiddling with these apps, and spent some time adding old weights to my records in the apps so my graphs are more complete.

Down 3.1 lbs... :lol:

I'm eating mostly once per day, but not getting enough protein in. I'm really not hungry enough to eat twice. So, I've updated my macros in Chrono to reflect this past week's eating and will still eat my main meal midday, like noonish, with the majority of my protein, then force myself to eat like a protein goodie, like the strawberries with protein pwdr and cottage cheese or greek yogurt, or maybe that pumpkin one. That brings me up to 86 on my score and bumps up my protein from 60 to 90's.

I guess I'm not seeing the recipes you are referring to. I'll have to go back and look around.

d

Iceberg Sun, Aug-22-21 13:52

Quote:
I like the new meal plans!! they are great even though I am not sure how to use Dropbox and get them to where the recipes open directly through a hyper-link. I will try to use more recipes this time.

Okay...hadn't read the FB today. Found the link. I downloaded the meal plan, then when you click on those items, it opens in a browser. This is similar to Diet Dr's sort of challenges they used to have from time to time...they have the meals, you click and get the recipe. It's not geered toward the nutrition but to macros.

I'm thinking I may try the wheatgrass and lime smoothie...Most of these meals I won't try. Maybe slaw and Wild salmon... :yum: I don't think the soup would curb my hunger but may give that a try. The rest...nope... :thdown:

Yesterday I went thru a bunch on NO Lab and favorited the ones I was willing to try. Not sure how that will help my nutrient piece, but at this point, I want to finish losing the excess and then settle into a nutrtion piece. I'm finding it hard to do both at the same time. I need to find meals that I can get all my nutrition in one meal. Eating twice now makes me miserable.

At my age, there is only so much change left in me. I've dieted all my life...this I hope is more of a way of living for me....... :D

Okay, just found there are more than the Immunity meal plans to check out.......so maybe I will find some meals I like........thanks for mentioning here.

I've found some in 1. Fat loss, 4. Blood sugar, 6. P:E, 7. Keto, 16. Egg/dairy free and 18. Meat

d

Iceberg Sun, Aug-22-21 14:19

Can anyone tell me how to prepare asparagus? I've tried a few times and most of it is not edible, too tough. I'd like to add that veggie to my favorites, but can't seem to figure out how to prepare it. I had a bunch in my hand this morning and put it back as I figured it was a waste of money and time.

I've baked and stir fried. I've snapped off the woody ends per a video I watched. Any help would be much appreciated.

d

JEY100 Sun, Aug-22-21 15:13

So far there are 21 Meal Plans posted! All are in Guide 10 so you don’t have to scroll through a FB timeline. With 525 members there is a lot of activity in a day. Each meal plan has about 21 meals whose ingredients match the cookbook title. Fat Loss book gives you lean seafood proteins and veg…not much added fat, etc.
Egg white is another way to add protein.

I don’t take much time with cooking…know I should break off bottom of asparagus, but I cut off the bottom 1-2 inches from the whole bunch with a knife, whatever feels tough. Place stalks in a large skillet with a cover, a small amount of water to effectively "steam" them, and not overcooked. Test for "all dente" by trying a stalk, maybe 5-6 minutes. Serve with a little olive oil or butter.
I also like any vegetable oven roasted, but that is more work. A mix of asparagus, pepper strips, zucchini slices, roasted in a hot oven. First covered with olive oil so they carmelize. I haven’t tried it yet…but maybe can cover with an oil spray to lower the fats.

JEY100 Thu, Aug-26-21 06:31

Marty is still loading more Menu Plans into the NO Masterclass, with links directly to the recipe. Now more "special diets". May not need to lose weight but have sensitivities. Latest menus are Low Oxalate, Low histamine, Low Fodmap, AIP, and Low Fat.

Iceberg Fri, Aug-27-21 18:51

I think I'll keep one foot in the NO MC and go back to DDF. I've regained some of my loss and frankly I just can't eat enough to meet the nutrition goals and lose weight. I'll still look at the meal plans, recipes, etc, and go back to one meal a day with as much nutrition as I can pack in and not worry anymore. I was consistently losing and now I'm not... :(

JEY100 Sat, Aug-28-21 02:47

I also found that whole half pound loss I had, but still bouncing around a new low. Two people said I looked "skinny" this week…not a word ever used before for someone 5’9” and 225. :lol: I think the daily intense water aerobics is having some effect of slimming down the fluffy parts that remain. But I took a new photo yesterday for the next challenge, 3 months from the one used in my profile here… and it's another 5 pounds down.

I have lost more weight with DDF than the Masterclass too, but need two meals a day and enjoy learning about the micronutrients and what they do to add to satiety for lower calories. Do you still wait for your trigger? I don’t test often, but yesterday it was exactly my trigger of 90. Maybe I have learned how to sense hunger and BG?

You have a good plan to combine the two programs as best you can, there are other members still doing OMAD most days. In the first two MC I continued to eat according to Dr Naiman's https://www.lowenergydiet.com/ and to add protein powder to yogurt which doesn’t even count the last week, but Scores were 80-90s. Way healthier than my previous low carb menu.

JEY100 Fri, Sep-17-21 05:03

A good summary article of the Pros and Cons of all the different ways to Guide Weight Loss.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/why...tabolic-health/

Conclusion…Pre-meal Glucose works… and the next DDF Challenge starts Oct 9th. Last one of the year starts the weekend before US Thanksgiving, :mad: but using pre-meal BG kept me on my slow path to weight loss last year. That's when I reached my first healthy BMI goal after a decade of not doing so with LCHF, I enjoyed the holidays, and got right back on track after New Year's. Metabolic Flexibility is another long term goal, https://optimisingnutrition.com/met...en-it-needs-it/, one I hope comes along with more resistance training.

My one year story summarized by Marty Kendall.https://optimisingnutrition.com/jul...ing/#more-24982

Although I hit a new low weight this morning…by 2/10 of a pound :lol: , I am back to my usual pattern of not losing much on NO Masterclass, but the nutrition information is worth it.

What is Nutrient Density:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...101/#more-12093

"People following a low carb diet typically get less vitamin K1, folate, calcium, Vitamin A, vitamin C and magnesium while they will be getting plenty of vitamin B12 and amino acids shown toward the bottom of this chart." In addition, I was low on Selenium and Zinc, two of the 11 nutrients important for thyroid health. (Further down in this article, nutrients needed for a number of conditions)

Want more nutritious recipes?…OptimisingNutrition has Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter…all those social media platforms I had no interest in joining. The recipes do look yummy when you see them there. :yum:

GRB5111 Fri, Sep-17-21 10:42

Quote:
Pre-meal Glucose works… and the next DDF Challenge starts Oct 9th. Last one of the year starts the weekend before US Thanksgiving, :mad: but using pre-meal BG kept me on my slow path to weight loss last year. That's when I reached my first healthy BMI goal after a decade of not doing so with LCHF, I enjoyed the holidays, and got right back on track after New Year's. Metabolic Flexibility is another long term goal, https://optimisingnutrition.com/met...en-it-needs-it/, one I hope comes along with more resistance training.

My one year story summarized by Marty Kendall.https://optimisingnutrition.com/jul...ing/#more-24982

Although I hit a new low weight this morning…by 2/10 of a pound :lol: , I am back to my usual pattern of not losing much on NO Masterclass, but the nutrition information is worth it.

Great summary of your story, Janet (Julia) . . . As a frequent visitor here, I have benefited in tracking your experiences as you've progressed through your nutritional journey. It's been illuminating to witness and to share valuable ideas in energy consumption and nutrient density.

Religiously following a prescribed diet ignores the prospect of metabolic flexibility that is possible when measuring how one reacts to foods based on blood glucose changes. This goes for any WOE, as we should be able to take breaks, and be free to explore different types of foods occasionally. It only works if you're in touch with your own metabolism and know how you respond to foods and how to get back to what is normal for you. Today, I have a much broader range of foods I consume and some I occasionally allow; however, I never consume sweets or desserts or sugar-laden stuff, as I know from experience what my results will be.

WereBear Sat, Sep-18-21 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Great summary of your story, Janet (Julia)

Yes! Health is always a goal we can constantly refine as we learn more.

Iceberg Wed, Sep-22-21 17:25

Well, I'm down 5.2 lbs from the start of the NO MC. I went back to DDF rules and the bit I gained while on MC I lost again and then more. So it looks like I consistently lose 5 to 6 lbs per DDF.

I'm closing in on wonderland...4.8 lbs to go! Hope to get there by mid October. I've signed up for the next DDF that starts 9 Oct.

So I'm down 33 lbs since 26 Jan. Shooting for another 50 and will go from there.

d

thud123 Wed, Sep-22-21 19:31

I'm in for Oct 9th too. See you there :)

JEY100 Thu, Sep-23-21 10:33

:Party: Iceberg…wow, Onederland and 33 pounds since Jan 26th! That's impressive, I hope you share your success story on the Facebook groups. Definitely when you hit Onederland. Look forward to seeing you and Thud in October.

I am getting tired of the NO Masterclass, the last week always short-circuits me. I was explaining to my husband last night, that when we find and add the needed nutrients, the app then gives a whole bunch more to chase. :lol: He thought it unfair and suggested I stop today. But then I hit a new low this morning! Have "only" lost 2.6 pounds since the first day of Masterclass, but every little half pound down is a weight I have not seen in over 40 years.

cotonpal Mon, Oct-04-21 08:23

The Masterclass has really made the difference for me. I just got back on the straight and narrow knowing I was eating a bit too much food, although not "forbidden" foods. I simply have gone back to tracking and eating how I did when I took the masterclass and beyond and I am right back up there score wise where I want to be. Now I am going to try Date Driven Fasting for the second time. I gave up the first time because my bg's would start out fine in the morning. I would eat and then they would never go back down to where I needed them to be in order to eat again. I suspect that is what will happen again but maybe I can figure out a way to cope with it that doesn't include giving up.

JEY100 Mon, Oct-04-21 08:40

The new and always growing DDF Manual has so many new answers to FAQs. This one may help, but also after 10 days you can set a "Main Meal". I make that dinner because sometimes I don't have my first meal until 12 or 1, and am not back at trigger either.

Quote:
FAQ 5.16 What if I’m above my trigger but REALLY hungry?
If you are above Your Personalised Trigger, it’s ideal to wait. You know your body has enough fuel on board. But if you are REALLY hungry and just above Your Personalised Trigger, it’s OK to eat. Still, you should prioritise nutrients (i.e. leaner meats and seafood with non-starchy vegetables), given you know you already have plenty of fuel onboard.
Eating a high-protein meal when you are hungry in the morning (rather than waiting so long that you are ravenous) is a great strategy if you experience some degree of dawn phenomenon. It’s hard to go wrong if you limit fuel when you’re above your trigger and only refuel (with fat and carbs) when you’re below your trigger.

Maybe Part 7 on Understanding your Unique Metabolism? https://optimisingnutrition.com/und...-ddf-faq-part-7

All the new sample recipe books and Meal Plans are super helpful too.

cotonpal Mon, Oct-04-21 08:48

Quote:
The new and always growing DDF Manual has so many new answers to FAQs. This one may help, but also after 10 days you can set a "Main Meal". I make that dinner because sometimes I don't have my first meal until 12 or 1, and am not back at trigger either.

Maybe Part 7 on Understanding your Unique Metabolism? https://optimisingnutrition.com/und...-ddf-faq-part-7

All the new sample recipe books and Meal Plans are super helpful too.

My experience was that my bg quite literally never went down to the trigger value after eating breakfast until the next morning. I don't experience dawn phenomena and I eat a high protein breakfast. Plus I can't use the recipes and meal plans because I have so many food sensitivities that they simply don't work for me. I hate being a yes but kind of person but I just couldn't figure out what to do other than only eating one meal a day. Maybe that's the answer for me.

cotonpal Mon, Oct-04-21 08:54

Most people seem to find the data driven fasting much easier than the masterclass but I am the opposite. The masterclass was exactly what I had been looking for for years but data driven fasting proved unworkable for me, at least the first time around. Of course my bg's were already in a pretty acceptable range so maybe I'm doing ok despite not succeeding at DDF.

JEY100 Tue, Oct-05-21 12:12

We are both healthy and below our goal weight, yet would like to see BG a bit closer to optimal rather than our current perfectly acceptable range. I too wonder if I’m expecting too much, but DDF helped me last year get through this season, with both weight loss and lower BG, so willing to try it again. If we end up exactly where we started…we're still doing OK :)

cotonpal Tue, Oct-05-21 12:14

I have signed up for the next data driven challenge. I am hoping to make it work this time. Last time around I just gave up.

JEY100 Sat, Oct-09-21 10:38

A nice comment from Jean on the October challenge group page, that the app is terrific! It has come a long way from the spreadsheet. Alex keeps adding little tweaks to make it even better.
A scad of procrastinators signed up during these last two days, over 1200 now. Lots of activity and excitement on DDF today. :wave:

Adding a new video explanation of DDF, also titled a New Fasting Method - IF 2.0. This was a webinar Marty created with slides How to Lose Weight and Reverse Type 2 Diabetes without Tracking Food.

https://youtu.be/CkE1_QwJJVI

cotonpal Sat, Oct-09-21 10:54

Quote:
A nice comment from Jean on the October challenge group page, that the app is terrific! It has come a long way from the spreadsheet. Alex keeps adding little tweaks to make it even better.
A scad of procrastinators signed up during these last two days, over 1200 now. Lots of activity and excitement on DDF today. :wave:

There is no comparison between the original spreadsheet and the current app. The spreadsheet was so frustrating for me. It seemed to be particularly problematic for apple computer users or at least ones like me that did not have excel on their computers (at least I think that was the problem). Data would disappear every few day. I would have to email for help. It was just too frustrating especially when added to my very slow to drop bg's. I just gave up. I expect I will have a much better experience this time, being able to focus on the data and not be consumed by technical problems.

JEY100 Sun, Oct-10-21 10:50

I opened and saved the Excel spreadsheet in Apple Numbers but I'm no spreadsheet wizard either. I didn't lose any data but much prefer working with this app.

While on the computer this weekend, I filled in some of my blood glucose numbers going back to original start date in August 2020. My glucose is still in a very narrow but highish range, so thought this would show something, and it did. My first recorded waking BG was 116, yesterday started this session at 95. Post with the reconstructed charts in the Main DDF FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dat...51853335529977/

Iceberg, only 2.7 pounds from Onederland now!

Where's Thud? Off sailing in some beautiful autumn weather?

Iceberg Sun, Oct-10-21 11:14

Quote:

Well, started my fourth round of DDF. Had a nice drop this morning, only 2.1 to go to onederland!!! I'm now down 35.4 lbs since 26 Jan...22.5 lbs doing DDF.

I'm seeing my morning BGs higher than I like, but I'm losing. I'll go back and read some stuff, but I've really struggled on morning BG numbers. My allergies are pretty bad at the moment. That may be the cause.

d

cotonpal Sun, Oct-10-21 12:21

Quote:
I opened and saved the Excel spreadsheet in Apple Numbers but I'm no spreadsheet wizard either. I didn't lose any data but much prefer working with this app.

While on the computer this weekend, I filled in some of my blood glucose numbers going back to original start date in August 2020. My glucose is still in a very narrow but highish range, so thought this would show something, and it did. My first recorded BG was 116, yesterday started this session at 95. Post with the charts in the Main DDF FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/dat...51853335529977/

Where's Thud? Off sailing in some beautiful autumn weather?

I was using Numbers also. I don't know what was happening but every few days the data would disappear. Other things went wrong too but I can't remember quite what. However whatever it was it was enough to derail me. I was spending too much time dealing with spreadsheet issues and I found it too frustrating, especially since my blood glucose levels hadn't read the manual and weren't acting as they were supposed to either. Sometimes (most of the time) I lack patience. I'm trying not to this time around. The app is great but my blood glucose level still haven't read the manual and often don't come down as they are supposed to. My morning starts out fine but then they go up and tend to stay up. They never get too high but I want them to do that go up quickly and come down quickly thing. I probably have to experiment with lowering fats.

JEY100 Sun, Oct-10-21 14:10

Iceberg, whatever you are doing, it's working. :thup:

When I understood Dr. Naiman's dam analogy...that until you lower the amount of fat being held back in storage, the small peaks and troughs on the surface, have less influence on that waking number. What and when you ate the night before is part of it, but if you still have stored fat, that sadly, is a big reason for the high waking BG.

[QUOTE]7.18 Why is my waking blood sugar the highest of the day?
If you have plenty of stored body fat, your body will release that stored energy overnight into your bloodstream, even if you follow a lower-carb diet. Your body can make glucose from protein and even fat (from the glycerol backbone).
If you have excess energy stored in your body, the glucose will back up in your system and overflow into your blood, especially overnight when insulin levels are lower after not eating for a while.
Making sure you are not eating too much too late may help decrease waking blood sugars, but it may just take some time until you are able to reduce your body fat levels to more optimal levels. To do this, you simply need to keep chasing a lower pre-meal blood sugar (by delaying your meals) and ensuring you are eating nutrient-dense, high-satiety meals when you do eat.

JeanM Sat, Oct-16-21 07:45

Can this program be done without using facebook?

JEY100 Sat, Oct-16-21 08:25

Rob does using the DDF program on his own. I think you lose a lot of information and community support without FB.
However, I can hint that maybe next year there will be an option that does not involve FB. ;) ;)

GRB5111 Sun, Oct-17-21 09:47

Quote:
Rob does using the DDF program on his own. I think you lose a lot of information and community support without FB.
However, I can hint that maybe next year there will be an option that does not involve FB. ;) ;)

I was informed by Alex that they are working on a way to involve the DDF community without FB. That was over a year ago. As Janet mentions, I purchased the spreadsheet and program materials, maybe there's a way to get the improved app today, and have followed DDF. It works, and I get my community fix on this forum. Janet, Jean (cotonpal), thud, Bawdy and others have been extremely informative, so I don't feel I'm missing anything.

I'm not a social media person, so I fully understand the reason for your question. This forum is as close as I get to it, and it's due to the moderators and participants who are always informative and respectful to all.