Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   maintaining weight (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=145664)

startover Wed, Oct-29-03 10:56

maintaining weight

Not sure if I found the right place to post this. Need help to STOP weight loss on low carb diet! Should I just add more fat? Have about 40 to 60 carbs per day. Try to eat lots of nuts and moderate proten. Should I add more protein? Am T2 diabetic. Off insulin since I started low carbs! Any suggestions appreciated.

el corazón Wed, Oct-29-03 11:04

Hey! I did Atkins wrong and was eating real low carbs all through weight loss, then got to goal and am now 15lbs below it and still havent stopped losing. I am up to 45-50 net carbs a day too. Serrelind said to up the calories, are you eating enough calories? Continue upping carbs in 5 or 10g increments per week until you stop losing. Gluck! Hopefully someone else in here can give you better/more advice!

Kathy54 Wed, Oct-29-03 23:17

Well, I'm not sure your are doing Atkins, however he says to continue to increase your carb levels each week til you stop losing. Are you eating fruit or good whole grain breads? Unless you have other medical reasons not to, you should be. Please do some reading in your books if you have them, thats the best advice to follow.

Good Luck Kathy

Paleoanth Thu, Oct-30-03 15:46

I know that in Premaintenance you should add 10 g of carbs a week until you actually gain a pound or two. Then back down 5 grams and that should be your maintenance level. Many people can go up to 100 grams a day and be fine, especially if they are active.

I am actually in premaintenance and am having one blow out night a week to keep my weekly average up to premaintenance level. It is easier for me to keep my carbs at OWL level and then have one or two high carb meals a week than to sit down and figure out how many to eat at each meal. Dr. Atkins says you can do it that way too.

good2beme Fri, Oct-31-03 23:13

Hi startover,

I'm no great expert, but my dh is type 2 diabetic and rather than looking at lowering carbs, he follows a low glycemic index diet that he got from his nutritionist and tries to eat the right kind of carbs. Sugar Busters is pretty low-cal but has a good list of low glycemic foods. The zone plan might be a good one for you to look at, it is more about the ratio of carbs/fat/protein than strictly counting carbs.

startover Sun, Nov-02-03 21:39

Thank-you all! I reassessed my diet. Had not been paying much attention to calories. Thought I was eating enough but really didn't correct for reduced carbs. Have really cut back to keep my glucose normal. Anyway, was way too low on calories! Started pigging out to get more calories in. Added more fat and protein. I actually ate nearly 2000 calories today!! Thats a first for me in about 8 months. NEVER thought I would ever have to eat to gain. Had always been a rollercoaster dieter before diabetes. Now I am a "low carber" diabetic! Thanks again for suggestions.