Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "Business meets diet needs" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=110429)

gotbeer Mon, Jun-02-03 11:33

"Business meets diet needs"

Business meets diet needs

By JANEL HARTMAN, Times Leader Staff Writer

Monday, June 02, 2003 — Time: 10:20:22 AM EST

link to article

IN THIS age of diets, exercise and other weight loss methods, many individuals are working hard in their quest to be healthier.

In recognition of that effort, a new business in Lansing is striving to meet the needs of an overweight society desperate to lose extra pounds.

Heavenly Di-Ette D'Lights, owned by Linda Nedly, opened its doors at the beginning of May. Since that time, business has been steady as individuals discover all of the low carbohydrate foods available at Nedly's shop for those on carbohydrate and diabetic diets.

Although Nedly and her husband currently reside in Buffalo, Ohio, which is close to Zanesville, she explained that she is not new to the area. Actually, her mother lives a few blocks away from the shop. She said she grew up in Mozart. Additionally, Nedly worked at Wheeling Hospital for 13 years and Veterans Affairs Hospitals in several locations in diabetic research departments. Nedly also had a lot of experience with the Atkins diet while working in the hospitals.

However, despite all of her work experience in the field of health care, Nedly said she has suffered her own personal battle with weight loss that enables her to understand the plight of her customers even more. Personally, the Atkins diet worked for her in a way that pills, exercise and other methods could not.

In light of this revelation, Nedly said she focused on diet. "It's a mindset," she said. "You have to be in a certain frame of mind for a diet to work."

The decision to open Heavenly Di-Ette D'Lights came to Nedly because after she retired, she said she found herself bored. "I worked my whole life," she said. "Retirement was really boring and so I decided I wanted to do this. Everything about the experience has been very positive. It's been nice to be back home."

The home-like atmosphere is something Nedly brings to the shop as she invites anyone to visit her, to sit down and talk for a while or just to enjoy some of the free samples she offers. "We can compare recipes too," Nedly said. "I'm having a lot of fun doing this. The business seems to be growing by leaps and bounds."

In recognition of that, Nedly said she tries to bring new and different things into the shop. However, one thing she will always stock are Atkins products for the Atkins diet.

"I would like to carry (luxury) items so that individuals on the Atkins diet can still enjoy the same things everyone else is without breaking their diets," she said.

"I would also like to know what my customers want and cater to that as well. Stuff has been flying off the shelves so far. I've already established a number of regular customers because there isn't anywhere else so close to find all of the products in one place. It makes it easier for my clients. It's a one-stop shop.

"People have come from as far away as Columbus, Steubenville and Cadiz," she added.

Some of the items Nedly sells are hot cereals, granola, carbolyte ice cream, cheesecakes, cheesecake truffles, chocolates, pancake mix and syrup, pasta, bagels and homemade bread, just to name a few. In the future, Nedly said she would like also to make up gift baskets and sell them.

Nedly encourages individuals to stop in and see what she has to offer. The store is located at 54917 National Road, Lansing. Call (740) 635-7131 for more details. Store hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Orders can also be placed over the phone.