Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Thyroid Disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Armour (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472997)

nawchem Mon, Apr-11-16 14:16

Armour

Update armour seems to be helping a lot. I still a lot of hypo symptoms including swollen thyroid. But I feel a lot more chipper, injuries improving, ketosis!

My feeling toward synthroid is that it seemed to be some kind of poison. It made me feel bad, a smaller dose of armour works better for me.

mojolissa Mon, Apr-11-16 17:50

I'm glad to hear that. I agree, armour works much better for me too. My doctor is willing to let me stay on armour, but he might want to lower the dose. We shall see....
All the best :)

MickiSue Mon, Apr-11-16 19:53

I agree on the Armour being so much better than the synthetics. But I would like to meet the CEO of the company that bought that thyroid supplement and give him a piece of my mind.

The cost for my 90 day RX, at least my share, used to be between $15 and $40. Now it's always around $90. For a supplement that has literally been around for well over a century.

nawchem Tue, Apr-12-16 19:08

mickisue the head of the FDA went after natural thyroid because it had been grandfathered in and not clinically studied. Several companies stopped production rather than go through the millions it would require to meet the government standards.

I used to get my armour right from the drs office where he told me armour cost a penny a pill to make. Unfortunately that dr went big time and costs $2500 to get him to fix your thyroid. :lol:

savide Wed, Sep-28-16 22:05

Split Armour dosage

Well, another round of OMG I am going to fall asleep driving home from work. Then I read something about splitting my dosage. I went in for bloodwork, and everything was normal but TSH was a little low (meaning I was taking too much). Since I was already dying, I asked my doctor if I could try splitting the dosage ((150) before lowering it. MAGIC!!!!! In the morning and at lunch. Almased protein powder at breakfast is helping as well. The slight inconvenience of remembering at lunch is well compensated by not having to go to bed at 7:30. I am interested to hear if others have tried this, as until recently I thought it was supposed to be a single dose before food in the morning. Thank you for your input.

savide Wed, Sep-28-16 22:07

Armour is not too expensive. Find another doctor!

MickiSue Thu, Sep-29-16 13:04

Savide: who was that directed at? I don't get my Armour from the doctor. I get it from CVS. Which replaced Target's pharmacies inside Target. But it had jumped to $90+ when it was still Target.

Merpig Fri, Sep-30-16 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Savide: who was that directed at? I don't get my Armour from the doctor. I get it from CVS. Which replaced Target's pharmacies inside Target. But it had jumped to $90+ when it was still Target.
Yup, I get mine from CVS also and also now need to pay $90 for a 90-day supply. For a drug that's been around forever, it should be cheap as aspirin! And then the little issue that next year I'll be eligible for Medicare and *not one* Medicare Prescription drug plan in the entire US includes Armour in their eligible formulary.

MickiSue Fri, Sep-30-16 18:32

Debbie, it's not in MN BCBS's formulary, either. Which is why I pay as much as I do: it's "off formulary", so they pay a small percentage of the cost of it.

JAnn Fri, Sep-30-16 20:41

I moved from Armour to Naturethroid and actually feel better. It costs me $10 a month for 1.56 grains.

I am interested about taking some at lunch as I also was told that I shouldn't take it with food. (The calcium in food interferes with absorption.)

MickiSue Sat, Oct-01-16 09:16

If you take it even a half hour before eating, you should be fine.

savide Mon, Oct-03-16 17:53

Quote:

I misunderstood the comment. I thought there was a non prescription Armour at CVS, and I thought that made sense considering how old it is! And thank you for the "heads up" that when I turn 65, I will have to pay cash for this. And thank you to whoever said 1/2 hour before lunch. I am splitting up my dose right now, and it gets me through more of the day. :wave:

JAnn Mon, Oct-03-16 22:53

Quote:
If you take it even a half hour before eating, you should be fine.
I tried splitting my but forgot two days in a row so I've been on half dose!