Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Ireland (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Alcohol??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=237909)

connokra Mon, Mar-07-05 20:37

Alcohol???

so whats the deal with this??? i've got a birthday comin up, and i've read that you're not supposed to drink any alcohol on the atkins diet because it knocks your body out of ketosis. AND I REALLY WANT TO!!!!!

any info on this would be greatly appreciated, are there any types or brands that are better than others, any that are a definite no-no??

karl

drina39 Mon, Mar-07-05 21:59

Okay...here goes !
If you are on induction...it throws you into a stall, and in my case, one 'fun' night caused me to gain 2 pounds BACK.
Was my fun night worth working extra hard for the next two weeks, to get back to where I had been ? Not a chance.

Be prepared...it DOES cause you to stall...and I drank low carb alcohol !

Just know what you are in for before you do it. You really have to analyze if it is worth it. :)

connokra Tue, Mar-08-05 17:26

ah crap, but i want to be able to do it without the consequences... it's not fair!!!! :)

davidm20 Wed, Mar-09-05 05:45

From personal experiance I didn't drink any booze during my initial 2 week induction but after that I just changed my drinking habits. I stopped drinking pints and moved over to shorts with a diet mixer. I'm sure it slowed me down in weight loss speed terms but I didn't mind as I kept loosing weight. I went to JD and Diet Coke or my new love Gin and slimline tonic.

Dumbletore Wed, Mar-09-05 15:47

I seem to polish off a bottle of wine now instead of cans of beer less carbs and I don't seem to feel as bloted but it does slow down weightloss its a hard fact but still a fact!:(

connokra Wed, Mar-09-05 16:40

deadly, i'll stick to shots with diet coke then, at least i know i won't be completely destroying what i've done so far. and at the same time i still get to be sloshed again.... it's been far too long!

:agree: oh yeah that's right, i'm dancing

Casso Wed, Mar-23-05 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by connokra
so whats the deal with this??? i've got a birthday comin up, and i've read that you're not supposed to drink any alcohol on the atkins diet because it knocks your body out of ketosis. AND I REALLY WANT TO!!!!!

any info on this would be greatly appreciated, are there any types or brands that are better than others, any that are a definite no-no??

karl

Hi Karl,

Alcohol is defintely off limits during induction. After a few weeks I would add it back it was my downfall last time so be very carefull, instead of beer Bulmers lite might be a good alternative made with Splenda and only 1.5 g of carbs per bottle, I'll try it later down the road starting back on induction tomorrow!

Take Care,
Casso

fatpat Fri, Sep-09-05 12:11

holsten and satzenbrau are high alchohol low carb beers..........

tdoty Sat, Sep-01-07 19:51

I drink Bacardi and Diet Coke.

Takh_Prime Sun, Sep-02-07 19:12

i enjoy the finest of mixed drinks; bourbon and ice cubes. Often mistaken for less sophisticated, under 20 yr old drinks.

shy__anne Sun, Sep-02-07 19:51

I drink diet coke and vodka with lime. The good news is, you get a little buzz quicker (or at least I do) when LC'ing. Bad news is sometimes it stalls me. Not always though. I drank Friday night and lost 3 pounds this weekend. It just depends on how often you do it I think. My metabolism it really revved up right now, I don't know why but I haven't stalled after drinking in a few weeks. Have fun!!!

roisinmc Sun, Jan-13-08 14:08

I asked the exact same ? on the American site but didn't get many replies. This is good info. Thanks

shy__anne Sun, Jan-13-08 14:55

I have also discovered, be CAREFUL! I get sick quick if I have more than about 2 drinks. I have to really pace myself. Like 2 drinks in a 3 hour period is the max for me.

roisinmc Sun, Jan-13-08 17:21

Thanks Shy_anne,
By the way you look great. Good for you. What discipline you have.

shy__anne Sun, Jan-13-08 18:22

Thank you. It's not really discipline though, it's Atkins. I know that sounds corny but I am a walking diet encyclopedia. I have tried all of them, and read all the books, everything. This WOL is the only thing that works for me.