Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Indian Spinach & Cheese - Sag Paneer (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123966)

texascarl Fri, Jul-18-03 20:29

Indian Spinach & Cheese - Sag Paneer

Olive oil or ghee
1 lg Onion, chopped
5 Cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 tomato, peeled, seeded & chopped
1" chunk of fresh ginger, peeled, chopped fine
1 lb fresh (triple washed) or frozen spinach, thawed
1 c Plain yogurt or sour cream
2 ts crushed red chili
1 ts cumin seed
2 ts Garam Masala or mild 'Curry Powder'
1.5 c half and half (or use 1 cup heavy cream and 1/2 c water, mixed)
8 oz ricotta cheese, or 4% cottage cheese, or Paneer, a homemade cheese from India
Salt & pepper to taste

Boil the spinach in 1 cup of water in a large skillet covered with a lid for ~ 4 minutes. Drain well in colander. Return the skillet to heat and add some oil or ghee. Add the onions & ginger, stir fry for a few minutes, add the garlic, tomato & cumin seed. Cook a few minutes then add the yogurt or sour cream, chili, and garam masala/curry powder and the drained spinach. Simmer at medium heat for 5 minutes. Mash the ingredients with a potato masher or use a hand blender to puree. Add the half and half. Add the cheese, simmer 5 minutes.

Season with salt & pepper. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

doreen T Sat, Jul-19-03 20:37

I lo-o-ooove Saag Paneer. And in my higher carb days, I used to love Matar Paneer, which is green peas with paneer. :yum:

I'm very lucky in the community where I live there is a great deal of ethnic diversity .. and many foods are readily available. I can buy paneer at my local NoFrills grocery :daze:

Thanks for this recipe :thup:

Doreen

Monique--- Thu, Jan-13-05 08:15

sounds good

zorra_1 Fri, Feb-11-05 17:29

Sounds Great

It would probably go well with the Aloo Gobi recipe posted here.

deepti Thu, Mar-03-05 11:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascarl
Olive oil or ghee
1 lg Onion, chopped
5 Cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 tomato, peeled, seeded & chopped
1" chunk of fresh ginger, peeled, chopped fine
1 lb fresh (triple washed) or frozen spinach, thawed
1 c Plain yogurt or sour cream
2 ts crushed red chili
1 ts cumin seed
2 ts Garam Masala or mild 'Curry Powder'
1.5 c half and half (or use 1 cup heavy cream and 1/2 c water, mixed)
8 oz ricotta cheese, or 4% cottage cheese, or Paneer, a homemade cheese from India
Salt & pepper to taste

Boil the spinach in 1 cup of water in a large skillet covered with a lid for ~ 4 minutes. Drain well in colander. Return the skillet to heat and add some oil or ghee. Add the onions & ginger, stir fry for a few minutes, add the garlic, tomato & cumin seed. Cook a few minutes then add the yogurt or sour cream, chili, and garam masala/curry powder and the drained spinach. Simmer at medium heat for 5 minutes. Mash the ingredients with a potato masher or use a hand blender to puree. Add the half and half. Add the cheese, simmer 5 minutes.

Season with salt & pepper. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

IS THIS OK FOR INDUCTION? How many carbs does it have?