Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dr. Atkins .. passed away at age 72 (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=99357)

yannick Fri, Apr-18-03 20:11

THis is very sad

Now that M. Atkins has passed away i guess that everyone will do is diet.

I saw the article about the highfat diet behing healty, i dont understand why the media dont check out the esquimos, they eat high fat all year round and have to be in ketosis all the time.

Apparently they are in great shape?.

God bless Doctor Atkins he did do great things and the diet is trully a miracle.

JeffE Fri, Apr-18-03 21:14

Thanks, Dr. Atkins

I think Dr. Atkins saved my life, or at least extended it. I dropped from 213 lbs. to 165 lbs. in a little over four months.

(Actually, I tried to submit my story on the Atkins web site, but got an error message.)

I sure hope he felt vindicated in the past year...I'd love to hear that the man found some peace of mind.

Jeff

BrewWa Fri, Apr-18-03 22:34

It truly is a sad occurrence....

The news of our beloved leader's passing saddens all of us. Our thoughts are with the family and close friends as well as associates. We shall miss him....

This only strenghthens my resolve to achieve my quest. The Doctor is dead, but the Revolution WILL continue!

God Bless.

AmberAA1 Sat, Apr-19-03 06:27

My heart and prayers go out to his family!

amieK Sat, Apr-19-03 09:25

Haven't read this whole thread, I imagine everything that could be said, has been.

But I just wanted to say Dr Atkin's family is in my prayers.

I greatly admire Dr Atkins for sticking by his work, especially in light of years of opposition from the low-fat camp.

Dr Atkins has helped so many people. His legacy will far outlive him.

Every time someone influenced by his ideas reaches goal, lowers their cholesterol or improves their triglycerides, it is a living tribute to the man.

We will miss you, Dr A!!!! Thank you for helping us!!!
amieK
:wave:

heyjude607 Sat, Apr-19-03 17:35

Sadly saying Goodbye...

~*~

My respect for Dr. Atkins, a giant in the healthcare field, who is responsible for moving mountains, is beyond immense.

Prayers go out to his family, and friends. I am so grateful to
Dr A for blessing us with his profound insight, passion and perseverance. His path will continue on, to bring health to many.

Dr. Robert C. Atkins is one of the true major pioneers of modern nutrition. To say he will be missed is an understatement. Since 1972, Dr. Atkins has been a force in confronting the dangerous health myth of the high carbohydrate diet pushed by the conventional medical establishment and the U.S. government through their Food Pyramid.

As most of us know, he published his first book, "Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution," which of course stirred controversy with the medical establishment, but went on to become one of the 50 best-selling books of all time. Dr. Atkins persisted, and continued to persist, and the rest is history.

tamarian Sat, Apr-19-03 18:05

From our main page:

<table><tr><td vAlign=top bgColor=#000000 > <font face=Verdana color=#ffffff size=2><b> <center>Dr. Robert C. Atkins (1930-2003)</center></b></font> </td></tr> <tr><td vAlign=top bgcolor="#C0C0C0" bordercolor="#000000"> <h5> April 17, 2003, A year after science proved him right, Dr. Robert C. Atkins passes away</h5><p>Dr. Atkins endured ridicule since the 70's, when he first published Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution.&nbsp; This lone cardiologist stood up against the medical establishment by warning us of the dangers of sugar and carbs. He was called unflattering names by his peers and brought up before a senate committee but nothing deterred him. Thirty years later, he was proven right. The only consolation to those who love him is that he passed away having had the last laugh, saying &quot;I told you so.&quot;&nbsp; Paying our respects...</td></tr></table>

pgroves Sat, Apr-19-03 21:01

We're gonna miss you, Dr. Atkin's!

Dearest Low-Carbers,

Just adding my 2 cents worth.

The reason I got into Low Carb was the physical example of one of my co-workers. I ignored the advise of the main stream medical community (including a sister-in-law that is a registered nurse...blah..blah..blah).

The simple fact of the matter that this dude had lost a TON of weight!!! I was ready (read 'avoiding looking at myself in the mirror prior to showers mode"), I was living in ex-spandex and prying the couch out of my backside on days off an impossibilty.
The smallest task was another mountain to be climbed
Dr.Atkin's saved my (rapidly diminishing!) buttocks.

As I say to the newbies (and there's a lot of them!), the man has said nothing to me in his books that has not come true.

Nuff said!

I join with you all in sympathizing with his family and morning his loss. A giant has walked the Earth and we were touched by his shadow.

Livng a longer life cuz of the man,
Eternal gratitude and prays for a gentle passage,
Phil Groves

RBalhan Mon, Apr-21-03 15:30

We shall always remember you as we continue our low carb journey... never to be forgotten.

Rose :rose:

ptjody Mon, Apr-21-03 16:53

I was sad to hear of the death of Dr. Atkins. A co-worker and I have been following his diet for some time. She and I were discussing his death and she was mentioning how terrible it was since the medical communithy is just now recognizing his plan as a valuble point. I told her that I truly believe that we are all here for a purpose and he met his goal. He has touched many lives and really SAVED a lmany more lives. He, without a doubt, met his calling and truly succeeded. God bless you, Robert Atkins.

CAKES66 Tue, Apr-22-03 00:36

Prayers

My prayers go out to Dr. Atkins and his family. What a tragic loss.

a.j Tue, Apr-22-03 16:07

To a truly great man!

Just got back in from out of town and heard the news. I know so very little about Dr. A. but I shed tears anyway.

So many owe him so much. Peace be with all of you.

My prayers and love go out to his family.

With my best regards, AJ

chazel Wed, Apr-23-03 10:04

I would like to add my expression of gratitude for the work of this knowledgeable man, and the help he has given to so many of us.

melanie 27 Thu, Apr-24-03 16:17

I give my Condolences to Dr.Atkins Family & All us who he inspired.

Over 16 months ago I started Atkins & My life has been forever changed.I pray that his Life Work is validated by the FDA someday.I truley think this is the Diet for us DIEBETICS.& our CURE.I will Always be indebted to Dr Atkins for saving my life...

doreen T Thu, Apr-24-03 16:23

Just a reminder for readers ...

There's a wonderful memorial dedicated to Dr. Atkins and his work, posted at the official Atkins website.

If you wish to, there's also an opportunity to share your Atkins story with his family, and the web :) ... check it out .. Share Your Story.

Doreen
:rose: