Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Caution for diabetics changing to a Low Carb Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=452693)

JEY100 Fri, May-17-13 10:10

Caution for diabetics changing to a Low Carb Diet

Dr. William Davis, of Wheat Belly fame, has special information in the Introduction to his new Wheat Belly Cookbook that applies to a diabetic on medications switching to a low carb diet. Have been meaning to post this as a thread because it has more details with specific drug names, than this forum’s usual caution to test, test, test often to avoid hypoglycemia and work with your doctor. Dr. Davis also writes it is best to work with your health-care provider, but if you are not lucky enough to have one knowledgable in using low carb diet, this information may be helpful.

never2late Fri, May-17-13 10:20

Thank you, although I'm a Type 1 any information on stabilizing blood sugar during low carb is very much appreciated.

JEY100 Mon, Jul-22-13 04:03

Dr. Davis has reprinted this same section on his blog too, since this is such an important warning. Just a repeat, but in a form you can copy:
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2013/...r-hypoglycemia/

RobLL Mon, Jul-22-13 09:06

And an easy way to do this is to drop carbs in steps over a week or so. It also makes a difference if you are using basal insulin or bolus insulin, or both.

Bonnie OFS Tue, Sep-24-13 16:15

Type 2 diabetic. I was prescribed glipizide more than a year ago with the vague advice to "watch what I eat." Yeah, I watched it go into my mouth and used the glipizide in an attempt to get my BG down, while not cutting carbs much at all. Didn't work too well - too much like a roller coaster with insane highs and lows. A few months ago a nutrition nurse advised me to stop using glipizide and work on my diet. By then I'd read Dr. Bernstein's book "The Diabetes Diet" and "Wheat Belly."

Now with no wheat at all (it is a trigger food for me - if I eat one slice of bread it doesn't take long for the rest of the loaf to follow) and really sticking to low-carb, I'm finally getting my BG down, as well as my blood pressure, which had been going up.

I'm so happy to have found this forum. Lots of good advice & some interesting-looking recipes. I love to cook, so finding low-carb recipes is a great help for me.

JEY100 Wed, Sep-25-13 02:51

Welcome..seems that you have found a road to better health with low carb. There are many low carb diabetic bloggers, resources, etc..look around threads here for more support.
If you don't follow Dr Bernstein's Diabetes diet, using all of Dr Davis's rules (no grains, no sugar, 1 serving dairy) may give good BG control as well. Wheat Belly Diet has been called "Paleo Lite" as he tries to make his plan a bit easier. He has some good bread substitutes in his cookbook, and on his blog. I also use this site's recipe and cut this Flaxbread http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/br...laxbasicfoc.htm into squares and freeze, but as with any food test your reaction to these recipes. Too much also stops weight loss for me. If you are really into baking, Peter Reinhard's Joy of gluten free and sugar free Baking has great recipes..my library has both these cookbooks.

Nancy LC Wed, Sep-25-13 08:01

Quote:
Peter Reinhard's Joy of gluten free and sugar free Baking has great recipes.

Got that book. It is amazing.

MicheZ Thu, Oct-03-13 09:47

Janet thanks so much! Unfortunately, didn't see this earlier& had some lows - awful & scary - in the middle of the night, of couse! Then, jumped off & on low carb with more negative consequences, but finally back on & a doctor who might actually be somewhat helpful! Ah. The good life! Now I just need to figure out how to go lc & not get hypos. I'm continuing to read & research!

JEY100 Thu, Oct-03-13 10:46

Glad this article could help. Hope your new doctor can help you with LC and med adjustments.
See you are in CO...have you heard of Dr. Gerber? He has some good interviews and video talks. http://jgerbermd.com
All the best,

MicheZ Fri, Oct-04-13 07:59

Checked out Dr. Gerber's website in the past - lots of good info. He's about 100+ miles from where I live, but maybe one day. I've also been reading Dr. Bernstein - also very helpful. The previous doctor I visited wasn't any help - I told him I was doing a LC woe & wanted to decrease (eventually eliminate) some medications. He suggested a new diet pill on the market! He commented that my lowest A1c in many years 6.1- was fair. Very frustrating.

MicheZ Fri, Oct-04-13 08:06

Volek & Phinney's Art & Science of LC also very helpful & informative. Great resources! Thanks!

Bonnie OFS Fri, Oct-04-13 08:38

Newbie question here. I've been seeing the word "woe" used in conjunction with low carb diet. I suppose it's an acronym - what does it mean?

Liz53 Fri, Oct-04-13 08:41

woe = way of eating (often compared with "diet", a short term solution)

Janet, thanks for posting Dr Gerber's website. I'd not seen it before but will be checking it regularly. Excellent!

Bonnie OFS Sat, Oct-05-13 09:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
woe = way of eating (often compared with "diet", a short term solution)

Thank you! Funny how the meanings of words change over the years. Diet used to mean woe, that is, one's ongoing, regular daily diet.

MicheZ Sat, Oct-05-13 18:56

Hi Bonnie! I'm with you on some of these acronyms being confusing! I used "WOE" because I saw someone get blasted on another site for using "diet"! I used to use diet all the time, but now it's like a dirty word! I like Jenny Ruhl's term of "eating off plan" (Author of Blood Sugar 101).
There might be a list of acronyms on this site, but not sure.But welcome to the low carb life!

welcome

a list of acronyms