Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Marty Kendall's Data-Driven Fasting (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484792)

thud123 Sun, May-16-21 07:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg
Well, my first week results were fab, the next 3 not so much...lol

I did manage to lose a bit more, but waist stayed the same. Per my new fancy scale, no fat loss and showing a bit of fat gain.

I’ve signed up for the next NO MC and hope this helps me dial down to macros, etc. I HATE tracking foods, but if doing so helps me in the long term than I’ll do it. So, first challenge of many in the future is done and on to the MC.

5.8 Down, 1.6 inches lost in waist, but still quite fat...lol

d

Nice work. I "hate" tracking food too with an app but am finding cronometer super easy, even the free version - and I'm finding it "fun".

Once you have your list of "Favorites" built up it's a matter of three keystrokes to search, one click to select then enter the grams - I use a scale for all food - i've done this in the past tho for carb counting. Now the app does that for me as well so it's not out of my normal routine to far. Here's my favorite list so far (work toward 30 foods, 30 different ways) - adding supplements too but I don't track those, just saw what they added:

Raw Egg
Greek Yogurt, Plain, Nonfat
Dill Pickles
Onion, White, Yellow or Red, Raw
Chicken Breast, Skin Removed Before Cooking
Laver, Nori, Dried
Baby Spinach, Raw
Collards, Raw
Kim Chee
Fried Pork Rinds
Cabbage, Green, Raw
Pepper, Sweet, Red, Raw
Hot Chili Sauce, Sriracha
Hamburger or Ground Beef, 85% Lean
Butter, Salted
Beef Steak, Sirloin, Visible Fat Eaten
Nori Wrap Spices (This is a custom recipe I made of many ingredients for data entry conventience)
Cottage Cheese, Nonfat
Raw Egg, White
Peanuts, Dry Roasted, Salted
Sunflower Seeds, Dry Roasted, Salted
Sardines, Canned in Water, Drained
Tuna, Canned, Light, Water Pack, Drained, Not Rinsed
Beef Fat
Yogurt, Plain, Whole Milk
Hamburger or Ground Beef, 93% Lean
Roast Beef, Chuck, No Visible Fat Eaten
A Taste Of Thai, Red Curry Paste
Bragg, All Purpose Seasoning, Liquid Aminos
Tomatoes, Crushed, Canned
Anthony's, Nutritional Yeast Flakes
Cauliflower, Frozen, Unprepared
Fish, Salmon, Atlantic, Farmed, Raw
Spinach, Frozen, Chopped or Leaf, Unprepared
Boar's Head, Black Forest Brand, Smoked Ham Lunchmeat
Frank’s Quality Kraut
Calf's Liver, Raw
Tyson, Chicken Thighs, Boneless Skinless
Now, Vitamin D-3, 5000 IU
Centrum, MultiVitamin, Adult
Now, Vitamin K-2, 100 mcg
Doctor's Best, High Absorption Magnesium
Health As It Ought To Be, Vitamin K2 Mk-7, 150 mcg
Polar, Kipper Snacks
Shrimp, Cooked-Tail Off
Nobi Nutrition, Magnesium Complex, Premium
Salsa Tamazula, S.a. De C.v., Valentina, Mexican Hot Sauce

GRB5111 Sun, May-16-21 07:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
I was looking further into the propaganda on the Anthony's site and noticed it's "fortified"

"Fortified with B Vitamins including Folic Acid and B12 (produced by natural fermentation - not synthetic or animal source)"

So who knows, perhaps taking a supplement would get you those numbers as well, I wonder what the REAL yeast numbers are now ha!

Noticed the same thing. I found it on Amazon for slightly less (highly reviewed and rated), but if it's fortified, what am I really getting out of the yeast? I'll stick with my weekly organ meats and healthy proteins/veggies/berries. Great supplement for plant based, though.

thud123 Sun, May-16-21 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Noticed the same thing. I found it on Amazon for slightly less (highly reviewed and rated), but if it's fortified, what am I really getting out of the yeast? I'll stick with my weekly organ meats and healthy proteins/veggies/berries. Great supplement for plant based, though.

Curiosity got me so I looked up that it's similar to brewer’s and baker’s yeast - so I went out on a limb and check out that in cronometer for a reliable db (same serving size = 16g)

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2021misc/16gBakersYeast.png

Quite a bit different than the hyped up version from Anthony's and likely many others touting it as a super food. Good, but so is a steak ;)

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2021mis...tionalYeast.png

JEY100 Mon, May-17-21 04:45

Quote:
Gliding along nicely this session. exploring more foods and working at slowly dropping trigger, that means eating before I get too hungry - key! Finding what it feels like to be hungry and practicing pushing away from table and left overs in fridge.

I knew it!! "Gliding along" for Thud means he's on the leaderboard in a challenge with over 1,000 members, AND for the period of January to May 16th…FIFTH on the leaderboard. I would complain about MEN and easier losses but Marty equalizes it with % loss. :lol:

Thud, The DDF superstar….I am copying his food list
:wave:

WereBear Mon, May-17-21 04:53

I know it as Brewer's yeast, and it's a supplement for my cats to get them B vitamins.

But they get plenty of meat, too. But it's not fresh, and I think the Bs are water soluble and can breakdown in the can, perhaps.

Ambulo Mon, May-17-21 09:05

I checked the label on my tub of Marigold Engevita nutritional flakes; nowhere did it say it has been fortified, but that may be down to different labelling regulations in the UK.

I eat the stuff as backup insurance on B vitamin rather than swallow yet more pills. Yes, I may be getting enough in my meats, but .. I like it in a salad with avocado, raw sauerkraut, broccoli sprouts and raw cyder vinegar.

Not the same as brewers yeast which I remember from the 70s. Brewers yeast tastes more every and yeasty; nutritional flakes are more nutty.

There's an explanation on livestrong.com, but the full page address won't copy paste :mad:

thud123 Mon, May-17-21 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I knew it!! "Gliding along" for Thud means he's on the leaderboard in a challenge with over 1,000 members, AND for the period of January to May 16th…FIFTH on the leaderboard. I would complain about MEN and easier losses but Marty equalizes it with % loss. :lol:

Thud, The DDF superstar….I am copying his food list
:wave:

Ha! You're too kind Janet. I'm just following instructions best I can - I shouldn't be too proud of the extra fat I put on this winter - However, I'm really going to shoot for getting BMI to normal using DDF this summer - That would be in the low 180's - see how that feels and if it's sustainable - I don't want to work too hard at it :)

thud123 Mon, May-17-21 11:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
I checked the label on my tub of Marigold Engevita nutritional flakes; nowhere did it say it has been fortified, but that may be down to different labelling regulations in the UK.

I eat the stuff as backup insurance on B vitamin rather than swallow yet more pills. Yes, I may be getting enough in my meats, but .. I like it in a salad with avocado, raw sauerkraut, broccoli sprouts and raw cyder vinegar.

Not the same as brewers yeast which I remember from the 70s. Brewers yeast tastes more every and yeasty; nutritional flakes are more nutty.

There's an explanation on livestrong.com, but the full page address won't copy paste :mad:

Maybe this one. Reading it now...

https://www.livestrong.com/article/...ritional-yeast/

GRB5111 Mon, May-17-21 13:22

Quote:
Curiosity got me so I looked up that it's similar to brewer’s and baker’s yeast - so I went out on a limb and check out that in cronometer for a reliable db (same serving size = 16g)

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2021misc/16gBakersYeast.png

Quite a bit different than the hyped up version from Anthony's and likely many others touting it as a super food. Good, but so is a steak ;)

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2021mis...tionalYeast.png

It's confirmed, Anthony's has supplemented the Hades out of their yeast. Good for them and any vegan/ vegetarian that consumes it, as they need those B vitamins. Those were most of the reviewers that I read. I'd be doing the same thing . . .

thud123 Tue, Jun-01-21 05:54

Stoked for round 4 of DDF for this one. Refining food list, developing hunger sense.

JEY100 Wed, Jun-02-21 06:42

Thanks for the food list! I don’t need to develop my hunger sense, seems to develop all on its own :lol:

Iceberg Wed, Jun-02-21 20:12

I'm failing on the NO...should have stayed on DDF. I logged for a week and threw in the towel. I don't understand all of this I guess. Not sure how to get the nutrients in and lose weight... :(

Iceberg Wed, Jun-02-21 20:18

I just joined DDF for June. At least I'm comfortable with that plan. Not sure the NO is for me.

thud123 Wed, Jun-02-21 21:03

Good one Janet! Don't worry about the NO class Iceberg - I fail my first attempt. I'm studying it from afar and have been using cronometer for over two months now and really like it.

I'll try another NO class and skip DDF sometime in the future. Forget about losing weight, focus on nutrition - that's how you can safely and effectively lose weight without damaging yourself too much.

JEY100 Thu, Jun-03-21 04:31

Quote:
I just joined DDF for June. At least I'm comfortable with that plan. Not sure the NO is for me.

If you are more comfortable with DDF, do that, both is too much. But how I am handling NO this time, is after 5 fasting challenges, I now know my body is happy with a 6 hour, 2 meals a day schedule. My BG is STILL flat-line, only now lower in the 90s. So no brain cells used to chase a trigger, but still get the benefits of a fasting window that works for me for weight loss. Another .2 of a pound below my previous low, I count everything :lol:

Iceberg Tue, Jun-15-21 19:12

I'm down 3.2 lbs so far in the Jun challenge...pretty good for me. Feel way better back in DDF...I have started doing some tracking to see how the nutrients are. Not sure I'll ever get that part down...lol.

JEY100 Wed, Jun-16-21 07:48

Quote:
I'm down 3.2 lbs so far in the Jun challenge...pretty good for me. Feel way better back in DDF...I have started doing some tracking to see how the nutrients are. Not sure I'll ever get that part down...lol.

That's fantastic! I am attempting to do both programs again, so am just treading water. Happened the last time as well, by increasing nutrients I seem to eat more…not the point of the program! There are some intense Nutrient optimizers making green power drinks every morning, sun-bathing their mushrooms, and I just can’t get into that. :lol: So same weight, same fasting window for me, even though I have increased my protein over the previous NO program. If you use Cronometer, it gives a Nutrient Score, not optimized by calorie the way NO does it, but gives you a first cut at what to focus on using the RDI.

JEY100 Fri, Jun-18-21 05:36

If anyone has purchased a Bio-Impedence scale for these DDF programs, or just because OCD :lol: , Marty has written a good explanation how they work.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/wha...-i-manage-them/

I have been complaining since Christmas that all my numbers are green, except Subcutaneous Fat. That yellow number is based on correlations from Dexas for people similar in weight, age, etc. But still..6 months and that number stayed yellow while all others were good and still slowly decreasing. So a shock this morning when I noticed ALL GREEN. Subcutaneous Fat slipped into the Standard Range! I know, silly for me to be excited by that, but it’s been months since a noticeable change. No complaints as I’m at a 23.3 BMI…but I took a screen shot and placed in June's DDF challenge page…proof it happened once. :lol: [The 1 pound difference between weight here and there is the difference in scales..didn’t buy the Renpho until November..wish I had now at the start of DDF]

thud123 Fri, Jun-18-21 06:29

Contrats Janet and Iceberg! I'll check out that scale article. I purchased the little Renpho, the body fat calculation seems to be just that, a calculation - not related to body composition changes IMO - to test, drink 2 L of water and see how "fat" you get - actually I have not tried that - I'll do it right now since I'm thirsty.

Iceberg Fri, Jun-18-21 22:32

I bought a scale for the May DDF challenge...no recommendations at the time so I didn't get the Rhenpro...it tells me I'm 80 years old...and my fat is still the same.

Since 26 Jan, I've lost 23 pounds...the last about 11 on DDF challenges. I was on an Ideal Protein Alternative for a couple months, but it just wasn't a sustainable way of life for me. I'm sticking with DDF until all this weight is gone and probably will skip the next NO. I need to concentrate on the weight loss for now. I lost a couple weeks just struggling with NO... :)

So I figure the NO after the next one I might be mentally able to follow along and be in onederland by then...d

JEY100 Sat, Jun-19-21 03:29

Whoa, 23 pounds in 5 months! I’d stick with DDF too. That's great.

I continue to follow some of the basic NO food advice…first meal of day, more protein. Bacon and eggs is no longer on my menu. First focus on seafood…high protein and satiety per calorie. If I get in a rut using leftover rotisserie chicken, I have a small serving of liver Pate. Answer for me when the NO score is low, add liver, canned salmon or mackerel and green salad. Almost anything on Ted Naiman's Low Energy template works. https://www.lowenergydiet.com/

JEY100 Sun, Jun-20-21 03:45

Marty is launching a Podcast show now…a terrific new podcast to add to your library: Optimising Nutrition with Marty Kendall

Only three episodes posted at the moment but he has another two dozen or so recorded on different video platforms that will be available as podcasts soon. Subscribe now to hear them all.
Link to Luis Villasenor interview and subscribe button: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000525863136.

My favorite interview with Ted Naiman and Marty if you want to watch it now as a video: https://youtu.be/ilduzDTFUlQ

WereBear Sun, Jun-20-21 09:25

Thanks, Janet. Signed up and looking forward.

JEY100 Sun, Jun-27-21 08:13

Last week for me to sprint below my lowest weight. Still hanging around a perfectly fine number but losing another .2 of a pound would be a nice conclusion to these two programs. Not asking for much :lol: I have some glitch (I think) in NO/Cronometer syncing but other than that, moving along , eating more fish than I ever have in my life :)

thud123 Sun, Jun-27-21 08:26

I'm trying to incorporate fish into my diet once a week as well as organ meats - Terrific progress Janet!

JEY100 Sun, Jul-04-21 04:35

Another DDF challenge in the books, let's say I am in a consolidation phase. Officially I lost 1.6 pounds and retained the "Green Sub-cutaneous fat” so calling that a teeny tiny win. :lol: Of course it has really been bouncing around but at a 23.3 BMI, that's fine. Unexpectedly I spent a very long day at the hospital as my DH had post operative problems following a "simple" surgery. I learned I really do not do well with OMAD plus stress and disturbed sleep. The last four days of Nutritional Optimisation also went out the window, but I can keep my ON score in the high 80s, low 90s, without going to the extreme lengths of green drinks, etc. but I do include whey protein and other items considered supplements.

Iceberg Mon, Jul-19-21 17:51

I lost 5.7 lbs in DDF 2. Down 1 lb in DDF 3. Want to see wonderland by mid September...I seem to lose on this plan and will continue until I reach goal. I'm thinking of doing the next NO in August. Time will tell. I want to continue to lose, so maybe I should weight until the next one...d

JEY100 Tue, Jul-20-21 02:39

That's great. Since I don’t know your FB name, I don’t know if you post on the challenge group. We are trying to slow down things so "no newbies are left behind". It is helpful to re-read each daily post and take it slow. I decided to not take waking BG this time…only get frustrated by the readings in the 100-105, when I know my body is only doing what it is supposed to get me up. Continue to fix the dinner meal time and wait for trigger for lunch which is high protein forward. My always slim DH was told by his doctor to regain the recent weight loss…so I'm making potatoes, Mac n cheese, and brownies while trying to lose weight :lol: usually my lunch is a big vegetable stir-fry with turkey or fish which is satiating so the brownies do not call my name. I never came up with 30 meals from the NO Masterclass, or stopped using protein powders, but enough choices to know a few that work for me. Definitely worth while to do the Masterclass for nutrition at least once.

WereBear Tue, Jul-20-21 04:55

Quote:
I'm trying to incorporate fish into my diet once a week as well as organ meats - Terrific progress Janet!

I like fish so I'm good there, but the organ meats was a puzzle until I discovered good liverwurst.

JEY100 Tue, Jul-20-21 05:05

Fish is brilliant for high-protein weight loss. I bought Costco mahi-mahi (dolphinfish) thought one filet seemed a bit heavy so pulled out the food scale...8 oz had 54 grams of protein, before salad or anything else. Canned salmon is even easier to have anytime in a quick stir-fry or salad.