Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Best Ketone/Glucose Meter? (2018) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480438)

BillyHW Sat, Jun-02-18 16:19

Best Ketone/Glucose Meter? (2018)

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a blood ketone and glucose meter. I don't know anything about them.

I'm in Canada, but I may be able to order stuff from an American website too, depending on the shipping costs.

Thanks for your help.

Meme#1 Sat, Jun-02-18 16:33

I bought mine at CVS drug store, the store brand meter but Walgreens also have a store brand. Do you have either of those in Canada?

From what I was told by the pharmacist, the strips can be very pricy if a certain name brand of meter requires a prescription which is how it use to be I believe. Now the strips are available easily and the store brand for the meter was the least expensive, so that's what I bought.

I've recommended a meter to several friends to see how their BS is dong on a regular basis. I like to do it from time to time and mine is excellent on LC, I don't know about before LC but probably not as good.

Oh sorry I just saw that you're talking about Ketone meter..not to test BS. :o

BillyHW Sat, Jun-02-18 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I bought mine at CVS drug store, the store brand meter but Walgreens also have a store brand. Do you have either of those in Canada?

From what I was told by the pharmacist, the strips can be very pricy if a certain name brand of meter requires a prescription which is how it use to be I believe. Now the strips are available easily and the store brand for the meter was the least expensive, so that's what I bought.

I've recommended a meter to several friends to see how their BS is dong on a regular basis. I like to do it from time to time and mine is excellent on LC, I don't know about before LC but probably not as good.

Oh sorry I just saw that you're talking about Ketone meter..not to test BS. :o

I want to test both glucose and ketones. We don't have CVS or Walgreens here.

Meme#1 Sat, Jun-02-18 16:52

w about Walmart or a Canadian chain pharmacy that would have a less expensive store brand?

BillyHW Sat, Jun-02-18 16:59

Quote:
w about Walmart or a Canadian chain pharmacy that would have a less expensive store brand?

I checked out the Walmart Canada website and there doesn't appear to be anything. But I the Shoppers Drug Mart and London Drugs appear to carry the Abbot Precision Neo. Test strips seem expensive though at $26 per 10 ketone strips.

dcc0455 Sat, Jun-02-18 17:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW
Hey folks,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a blood ketone and glucose meter. I don't know anything about them.

I'm in Canada, but I may be able to order stuff from an American website too, depending on the shipping costs.

Thanks for your help.

The Precision Xtra was the meter of choice, but recently the Keto Mojo has got a lot of attention. The problem with both of these is the cost of the ketone strips. I am currently using the Care Touch Ketone Testing Kit from Amazon because the meter was $38USD and the strips are $38USD for 50 strips. They all are supposed to measure glucose within 15%, so I doubt there is much difference in accuracy. Not sure if there are standards for ketone accuracy, but I don't really care about the number itself as much as when and what causes changes. So far, I have been happy with the Care Touch, but I cannot say how it will hold up long term. If you measure often, you should consider the price of strips.

Meme#1 Sun, Jun-03-18 00:26

That is so expensive for the strips. I think we paid about $12-14 for 50 strips last time we bought more. Some are $60 when ordered by prescription for some reason, maybe because of name brand and big profit.

BillyHW Sun, Jun-03-18 01:33

Quote:
That is so expensive for the strips. I think we paid about $12-14 for 50 strips last time we bought more. Some are $60 when ordered by prescription for some reason, maybe because of name brand and big profit.

Are you sure we're talking about the same strips? The glucose strips seem to be cheaper whereas the ketone strips appear to be very expensive.

Kristine Sun, Jun-03-18 03:49

I got the Precision Neo at Shoppers. It wasn't particularly cheap, and neither are the ketone test strips. I got them on Amazon (we have Prime.)

JEY100 Sun, Jun-03-18 08:49

A number of folks I know have switched to the Keto Mojo, since that company does have lower priced ketone strips.https://keto-mojo.com Also read criticisms of its glucose meter. So some use whatever glucose meter they like with the mojo for ketones. I order a glucose strips from one of the On-line Diabetes Warehouses, a Tru Metrix, but would purchase any "package deal" that was reasonable and on offer. Here are the current free meter deals https://www.adwdiabetes.com/category/free-meter-deals

The Walmart Relions were not accurate for me.

dcc0455 Sun, Jun-03-18 11:27

Quote:
Are you sure we're talking about the same strips? The glucose strips seem to be cheaper whereas the ketone strips appear to be very expensive.

$37.99USD for Care Touch Ketone Test Strips 50 count
$10.99USD for Care Touch Glucose test Strips 50 count
both for use with
$38.99USD Care Touch Ketone Testing Kit

Prices are on the US Amazon store. They may be priced differently in Canada

dcc0455 Sun, Jun-03-18 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
A number of folks I know have switched to the Keto Mojo, since that company does have lower priced ketone strips.https://keto-mojo.com Also read criticisms of its glucose meter (all heresy from forums)

I might be wrong, but I remember looking at Keto Mojo and I thought you had to sign up for a subscription service to get the 99c per strip price. I might be confusing that with Jimmy Moores offer.

Meme#1 Sun, Jun-03-18 11:33

Quote:

Heck, IDK, I have the strips that test my blood sugar in the little meter and I'm in the 80s-90s usually.
Then I have the other strips that you put urine on.
Is there a machine that does both?

JEY100 Sun, Jun-03-18 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
I might be wrong, but I remember looking at Keto Mojo and I thought you had to sign up for a subscription service to get the 99c per strip price. I might be confusing that with Jimmy Moores offer.

He was one of many promoting the product. My friends picked it up at various conferences like LowCarbUSA where the owner of KetoMojo was a vendor. Anyone can be in the "Founders Club" ;)

BillyHW Sun, Jun-03-18 12:27

Okay so I passed by Walmart last night and I couldn't find anything over-the-counter and the pharmacy had already closed up all the screens for the night. I'll try again later this week.

Registered online for a coupon for a free Precision Neo (if you buy 100 testing strips with it), but it still has to arrive in my email inbox. Not sure if I'm going to get that one or maybe the Keto Mojo or some other one yet. Still need to do some research.

The Keto Mojo website doesn't ship to Canada because reasons, but they do refer to another website called Best Ketone Test for Canadian customers.