Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   what kind of excercises should i be doing? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=184620)

Logan Sat, May-15-04 01:23

what kind of excercises should i be doing?

ok here's the story.

to date i've lost all of my weight through sporadic low carbing - the times i stuck to plan i lost and lost fast - the times i didn't (more often than not), i gained little if anything and lost it plus some when i got back on the wagon.

now i'm at a stage where the weight has stopped coming off despite largely sticking to plan and i realize to get anything more off i'm going to have to start excercising. *siiiigh*

the only place i need to lose weight is around my upper and lower belly (there ain't no abs there i'm sure of it :lol: ) i have skinny legs, skinny arms, slim face etc....it's all just belly fat that needs to go now and quite a bit of it.

so i'm wondering if with this in mind someone could suggest some excercises that would be helpful. i understand spot reduction is a myth and i don't want to be growing muscles under my fat but thinking surely there must be some types of excercises that would be more beneficial than others for what i want to achieve.

i don't do gyms (can't afford it)
or have any type of home equipment and i don't run.

what i have started doing over the last few days is walking a lot and i walk at a good brisk pace too.

:help:

Logan Sat, May-15-04 01:59

ps - i've just found the *Mathews Method* for abdominal excercises. does anyone have any experience with this???

Logan Sat, May-15-04 14:56

*bump*

and after all the extra excercising i've done the last couple of days, even though it only walking it's still way more than i usually get - i find myself up another 1/2 a pound this morning. :(

atkinnube Sat, May-15-04 23:03

How much water do u drink? Try upping your water intake and doing a little resistance training. Lifting weights seems like its making a difference in my weightloss. Im losing inches everywhere including around the middle. :D .
Have u tried crunches?

Logan Sat, May-15-04 23:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinnube
How much water do u drink? Try upping your water intake and doing a little resistance training. Lifting weights seems like its making a difference in my weightloss. Im losing inches everywhere including around the middle. :D .
Have u tried crunches?

i drink anything from 3 - 9 litres of water a day..hehe :D i've thought about crunches and sit-ups thinking they sounded the most logical choices...but worried about just building muscles under the fat. then last nite after posting this i read about the *Mathews Method* and they totally slam crunches and situps in favour of working muscles deeper into the abdomen so i'm confused once again. :lol:

thanx for your post and congrats on the weightloss. :) :thup:

Krey Sun, May-16-04 05:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan
and after all the extra excercising i've done the last couple of days, even though it only walking it's still way more than i usually get - i find myself up another 1/2 a pound this morning. :(

My exprience has been that whenever I seriously up or change my exercise programme, I either gain weight or stall. This seems to be true for quite a lot of people I've spoken to also :) Give a couple of weeks for your body to adjust, you should see a drop again...

Concerning the abs... I'm from the school that says if you want to move that flab you're going to have to do some cardio; sorry!

legwarmers Sun, May-16-04 12:35

abs are made in the kitchen... 90% of that is diet.

the fat leaves the places where you hold it most - last. hence i have a slightly squishy tush. :)

i'm of the school that suggests weight training to increase metabolism. muscle at rest burns a zillion times more fat than fat will... and too much cardio will burn muscle along with fat...

caverjen Sun, May-16-04 12:44

Weight training will also fix the skinny arms and legs problem. Low intensity cardio like walking is very catabolic - will burn what little muscle you have. Pilates is very good for abs - do a search, there's been about 5000 threads started on it.

Jen

legwarmers Sun, May-16-04 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverjen
Weight training will also fix the skinny arms and legs problem. Low intensity cardio like walking is very catabolic - will burn what little muscle you have. Pilates is very good for abs - do a search, there's been about 5000 threads started on it.

Jen

you mean steady state high intensity cardio right? walking is not catabolic that i'm aware of.

Chipperoo Sun, May-16-04 18:40

Quote:
. Low intensity cardio like walking is very catabolic

HUH? :confused:

innermusic Sun, May-16-04 19:41

Quote:
Low intensity cardio like walking is very catabolic - will burn what little muscle you have. Jen

Patently false. Low intensity cardio will preferentially burn fat, assuming your amino acid pool isn't borderline empty.

innermusic Sun, May-16-04 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan

i don't do gyms (can't afford it)
or have any type of home equipment and i don't run.

There is no substitute for resistance exercise. You will need a modicum of home gym gear. An incline bench and a few dumbells can provide a great variety of beginner exercises for under $200.

featherz Sun, May-16-04 20:14

I just bought a 100lb barbell set where the barbell plates can be used as dumbells as well -- included a curl bar as well. $49 or so at my local Sportsmart. So you don't need anything too expensive. :)

caverjen Sun, May-16-04 20:28

Hmm... I'll have to check my sources, but seems like I read that several places and was surprised myself. I think most of the bodybuilders do 20 min of HIIT now for cardio, and I think it was in reference to that.

Jen

Chipperoo Sun, May-16-04 20:44

Yes, if I remember correctly low intensity can be catabolic if you go for more than and hour or so, but not if kept shorter in duration.