Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Q & A on Coconut Oil (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=106244)

Karen Sun, May-18-03 12:56

Q & A on Coconut Oil

coconut

For those who read the "Coconut Oil" article in Womans World magazine

Anyone try Coconut Oil?

Coconut Oil + Olive Oil

Taking Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil for Weight Loss?

Coconut Oil Benefits

Coconut Oil Help!

Coconut Oil Search

aznlily68 Sun, May-18-03 14:58

thanx!
hey karen, what do you know about flaxseed and flaxseed meal?
I see that the flaxseed meal has 4 g carbs but 4 g fiber= 0 net carbs!
is this true?
if so, what can i use the flaxseed meal for? i would love to make things with VERY LOW carb count. any suggestions?

Karen Mon, May-19-03 19:50

In the Low Carb Kitchen Forum, there's a sticky called Frequently Asked Questions. Lots of good flax info is is there.

Karen

timco Tue, Jun-17-03 21:57

links provide a lot of information on coconut oil, but no one seems to be able to say if it has actually helped them lose any weight.

potatofree Fri, Jul-18-03 23:42

Aaaargh!

I've been using coconut oil for nearly a month. I do feel better, but have GAINED five pounds!!!! I must be doing something heinously wrong..

LadyBelle Sat, Jul-19-03 08:16

Could the coconut oil be adding to many calories to your day? You might try cutting back just slightly on how much you use, or figure your caloric totals for the day to see if it is more then you expected. Also are you eating more carbs? If you've been raising carbs with OWL you need to lower your fat intake to compensate.

potatofree Sat, Jul-19-03 11:32

That's what I was wondering... I think I'll cut out some OTHER fat to get the calories to the same level. I can't go any lower on carbs, I've been back to induction-level for a week now, trying to get a handle on this.

I really do feel better with the coconut oil,and at the very least, I've learned to make some tasty treats with it that wouldn't "work" with other fats. (Like chocolate "no-bake" cookies)

I'll be able to add some of them back eventually, but for now, I've cut out most sweeteners until I figure out what's going on!

pltrygeist Sun, Aug-24-03 21:31

Excellent links!

I have been taking coconut oil for about a year now and I have never been healthier. I think it's one of the healthiest substances you can take. When I feel a cold coming on I take higher than normal doses of it. The lauric acid content is one fo the best anti-viral substances that I know of.

WendyJM1 Mon, Jan-05-04 18:14

Hi Karen - have been using it for some time now... we use unrefined, virgin coconut oil... through Tropical Traditions. It is a natural antifungal, not to mention a great nutritional supplement to add to the diet - i've never known of someone gaining weight simply by adding this oil to their diet!

If you do a google search - look for an article by Mary G. Enig, Ph.D. on Coconut Oil - its the best article I've ever found on the subject.

WendyJM1

'FEAR IS THAT LITTLE DARKROOM WHERE NEGATIVES ARE DEVELOPED'

ConfusedX9 Sat, Mar-27-04 18:29

Ok so how much coconut oil are you supposed to take a day?

Noone seems to have mentioned it. Only one person said something about 3.5tbsp.. but I'd like to see way more then one person's claim..

donna916ga Sat, Apr-03-04 03:09

Flax info

Karen
I tried Coconut oil, no difference. My sister tried it and gained 5 lbs and quit. I quit from lack of interest and it was $32 for 1 quart. I may finish the jar, it is over 1/2 full.
Could you possibly give me a link to Flax info. I have did a search and simply can not find the reference of Low carb kitchen forum, then frequently asked questions.
thank you
Donna

Vanity3 Tue, Apr-27-04 21:15

does coconut oil come in a pill form?

potatofree Tue, Apr-27-04 21:37

I saw gelcaps at GNC last time I was there.

Vanity3 Thu, Apr-29-04 20:16

helpful information, thank you

VegLover Sat, Jul-24-04 21:58

This thread is a little old, but I just found this forum and was reading through all the good info. I just wanted to mention that coconut oil is used quite commonly in South Indian cooking, so if you are looking for recipes or a place to buy coconut oil I would suggest visiting an Indian store. I buy coconut oil and spices at the many Indian markets here in SoCal.
If you don't have a Indian market in your area, here is one online that sells "pure coconut oil" for a reasonable price ($4 for 12 oz):
http://www.ishopindian.com/shop/cus...productid=21505

I'm not sure if "pure" means unrefined or not, though...