Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Spud's record of soreness (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=205904)

pammiejoe6 Fri, Jun-24-05 20:00

i need a job like you have dude!

Cara73 Fri, Jun-24-05 21:20

Hi Mark,

Sorry for posting so many questions. Sorry to bombard you. I'm not usually THAT bad. I can ramble, but I try not to spew out a million questions. But thanks for your patience. I appreciate it.

Well, after I read the posts this morning, before I left for work (I was a little excited about this) I went in and tried to curl the olympic bar. Not yet, too heavy. So I'll have to stick with my EZ bar. But I did add a few more bicep exercises tonight. So that should help. Debbie suggested a few good ones. I'm just so weak. I never considered myself a weak person as I have always done things for myself, that many would have their husbands do. But doing these exercises make me feel really weak. It's embarrassing.

Thank you again. I hope you have a fabulous weekend!!!!

Cara

IdahoSpud Sat, Jun-25-05 00:29

A fabulous weekend indeed! I'm working nights, and the plant is shut down!

And yes Pammie, I do have a great job. I get paid to play with *really* big toys. To me, it's like being paid to drive Lionel trains :)

Chest and upper back.

Forward leaning dips (between the forks on the forklift): 10,10,10,10
Wide grip decline pushups (between a couple of chairs, feet on a table): 10,10,10,10
Pullups (on a low-hanging natural gas line): 8,8,8,6

Situps, full: 10,10 (These were hard to do!)
Oblique situps: 15,15
Reverse Crunches (wearing work boots): 20,20

Cardio (yuck!): Six trips up and down the #1 boiler: 19min 20 sec. Jeez I'm outa shape! I *used* to do 8 trips in the same time!

I *may* go do a few laps around the facility later on. Right now I'm kinda hot and sweaty, and need to think about doing a little work, LOL.

Edit: Update - The new Tanita scale I bought a couple of weeks ago showed that I weighed 181 lbs, while the old spring scale read about 170. As of today the Tanita read 177, so I'm down 4 lbs, hopefully mostly water and BF.

Interestingly as my weight has gone down, the Tanita scale shows my BF% increasing. Today at my lowest, 177 lbs, the BF read its highest, at 14.9%. Interesting, as my jeans have begun to look baggy once again, and the quads and abs feel harder and are showing more definition.

galatia Sat, Jun-25-05 06:27

Well you have just proven that there is no excuse for not working out. Where there is a will there is a way. I loved all the make-shift exercise equipment you came up with.

About those lying scales: I use scales as one source, but having my pants hanging on me rather than me feeling like I've been poured into them is much more encouraging to me than what the scales say. I'll always use scales because I'm hopelessly addicted to them, but I know they have a mean streak in them sometimes, and you can't always go by what they're saying ;).

Aaahhhh, the abs. Well, I'm not making progress by leaps and bounds, but I do believe I can see some improvement. The tape measure is holding steady at 29.5, but I think there might be a little more definition. They're nothing to brag about still-- that's for sure.

In other injury updates: My shoulder feels much better. After I worked it yesterday it got better! I don't know....odd. My wrist was better but after doing arms yesterday, it got sore again. I may have to stop supinating (?) for a while and see if that helps. I've done very little hanging lately, because remember, I thought that was what caused it.

Alright enough from me. I'm in a talky mood this morning. I keep taking over other people's journals. Sorry.

Donna2128 Sat, Jun-25-05 07:32

Hey!
Thanks for stopping in my Gym Log & for the nice words of encouragement!
That always helps! Ya know???
I can take all I can get so feel free to visit often! he he he
I'm going to work on those pics today! :D

Thanks again! :wave:
Donna~*

Cara73 Sat, Jun-25-05 11:23

Hiya Mark,

Thanks for not getting disgusted with me our first conversation :lol: :lol: Yes, I've learned there is a lot of conflicting issues and opinions out there. I guess all one can do is take it all in, shuffle it around, and decide what is best for that person. I've had my tailbone removed, so I really have to shuffle lower body around as not to hurt that anymore than it already does. Like lunges, can't do them. I want to as they're so good, but they cause a great deal of pain. But case in point, what works great for one might not fit another.

Sounds like you really enjoy your job. That's great. It sure makes the days go by much easier, that's for sure. And the fact you get in a good workout there, also. Congrats on the pants feeling baggy. That has to make you feel great. NO matter what the stupid scales say :lol:

Thanks for the encouragement. It sure helps me not feel like a total weakling :rolleyes: But no matter what, I'll keep plugging along. It feels great afterwards!!

Have a great weekend, Mark!! Thanks again. I'm glad we got to meet.

Cara

pammiejoe6 Sat, Jun-25-05 14:00

too kewl about the hard abs and baggy jeans!

hope you have a fabulous weekend!

FabByFifty Sat, Jun-25-05 19:20

Interestingly as my weight has gone down, the Tanita scale shows my BF% increasing. Today at my lowest, 177 lbs, the BF read its highest, at 14.9%. Interesting, as my jeans have begun to look baggy once again, and the quads and abs feel harder and are showing more definition.[/QUOTE]

He, He, He, !!! Hey Mark! Don't talk like that!! You don't know what it does to me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)

YOU DID FANTASTIC TODAY!! :thup: GOOD GOING! :) ;) WHERE'S THE PICTURES? I WANT TO SEE THE QUADS AND HARDER ABS! (GOD, THAT HURT!! :D ).
Have A GREAT EVENING MARK!
BRENDA

galatia Sat, Jun-25-05 22:48

Quote:
Take care of that wrist though! Does that mean you can't do Arnolds?
Thanks-- well, shoulder day isn't until Thursday....by then I hope I can. They aren't hurting as much now as they were this morning. I've been being very careful with them today. And I will tomorrow too. 2 days of rest should do it! :D
I like the website too....I don't have any trouble with videos. I hate it if I have to wait. I have a very short attention span :rolleyes:.

IdahoSpud Sat, Jun-25-05 23:42

:thup: Wow you guys! Lots of entries to read and respond to! Cool!

I tried out some new delt exercises tonight - and boy did they *hurt*!

Delts and Traps:

Warmup: Arnold presses: 20x15
Warmup: Dumbell upright rows: 20x10

Static lateral raises: (normal lat raise with a 10 sec hold at the top): 15x6,5,4,5,5

"W" presses (hold dumbells with your arms in a "W" position for 10 sec after performing three dumbell presses): 20x3,4,4,4,3,4

Behind the back mini-press (olympic bar - press halfway up, perform 5 'mini presses' where the bar goes up and down a few inches, then press up. On the way down, do five more 'mini presses', then down. That's one rep. 40x6,6,4
I noticed more burn on the tricep than the delt with this exercise, so I probably won't be using it again.

You can see from the low reps how painful these new delt exercises were! Had to keep coming back for more sets to get a decent number of reps. Definitely couldn't do 10 in a row! Ouch.

Dumbell Shrugs: 50x10,10,10
Barbell rows: 90x10,8,10
Dumbell Cleans: 20x5,10,10

LOL - calves are *way* sore from all those boiler climbs last night :thup:

Edit: Did some static sit-ups. Pause halfway up and hold for 10 seconds. Brutal! 10,7 (no more!)

galatia Sun, Jun-26-05 06:08

Quote:
We're growing painfully, LOL.
Yesssss.....that's what we're doing . And I'm thinking of adding more pain to the mix. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and do legs twice a week for a little while. I like getting legs done on Mondays and then being able to forget about them until the next week-- but they look awful for all the neglect I've shown them, so my master plan of being lazy, yet achieving great results isn't working for me . So I'm conjuring up a new plan to do legs twice a week. One that I won't HATE so might do more than one week.

IdahoSpud Sun, Jun-26-05 06:11

[QUOTE=galatia And I'm thinking of adding more pain to the mix. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and do legs twice a week for a little while. [/QUOTE]

You masochist! ;)

edit: Note to self: Must learn how to use the quote feature properly!

galatia Sun, Jun-26-05 06:31

Loved the success story!! You are a success and everyday continue to be. Your little girl will follow in your footsteps and be so proud of her Dad!

Using quote feature:
highlight quote
copy then paste it into message
highlight again and click on quote box
Ta Da!!

IdahoSpud Sun, Jun-26-05 07:32

Thanks Debbie, both for the kind words and the directions ;)

FabByFifty Sun, Jun-26-05 08:59

You are welcome Mark!! I can not wait to see the pictures of you and Debbie when you post them! :)
Good Luck to you and I know that you will do just fine through the Challenge, and the meeting with friends will be a success!
HAVE A WONDERFUL SUNDAY MARK! :) :) ;)
BRENDA

Donna2128 Sun, Jun-26-05 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud
Like Galatia keeps saying (and I agree wholeheartedly), those of us who don't work out in a gym need a little cameraderie to keep us going. I want to be the head cheerleader for us underdogs!

Your absolutely right! :)
We all need a system of support- even more do if your at home working out- seeming that your "alone" in this battle to get fit- at least we DO have a place to go to get the encouragement, help & support we need here! :D
:cheer:
Your more than welcome to cheer us on at ANY time! HE HE
RAH RAH RAH!
Everyone is just GREAT here!
Much love!
Thanks!
Donna~*

pammiejoe6 Sun, Jun-26-05 09:51

i really thought i had posted in here again since now...i think im losing my mindddd...bwhahahaaa....oh wait, we knew that already!:lol:

FabByFifty Sun, Jun-26-05 14:38

Mark,
What are walking lunges, and do you have a site that shows what they look like, or what you do?
I hate those things too, probably because I can't do them! :D

Have a Great Day Guy!
Brenda

FabByFifty Sun, Jun-26-05 19:17

Thanks! :)
I know that I had to do the side lunges today. I can not get the regular ones to work, or my legs to do it, whatever.
Hey, if it works the legs and the butt, I am going to try them. That would be a good workout, and it's even cardio! Great!!
Thanks Mark!
Have a Great Night! :)
Brenda

IdahoSpud Sun, Jun-26-05 23:47

Brenda, Pamme and Donna: Thanks for stopping in :) I'll do the same!

Arms. Switching things up a little.

Barbell curls: 60x10,10,7(f)
New - Bent-over curls: 25x10,10,8 - serious bicep pump and tear-down with this one.
Hammer curls: 30x10,10,8
finisher: Incline curls: 20x6(!!!), 8,8 (nothing left)

In rapid rotation:
New - Diamond push-ups: 15,15,15
New - Twisting kickbacks: 10x10,10,10
New - Two arm dumbell press behind the head: 40x10,10,10

Then:
New - Reverse grip bench press: 60x15
Skull Crushers: 60x15,15,10

Dumbell Wrist curls: 20x10,10,10
Dumbell Reverse wrist curls: 15x10,10,10
New exercise: Wrist rotations - forearm on a desk, wrist dangling. Roll a 2-1/2 lb plate the full range of motion of your wrist: 25,25,25. Easy at first, but painful at the end!

Edit: Grabbed a 20lb dumbell later on and did...
Concentration curls: 20x10,10
One arm dumbell extensions: 20x10,10

Edit #2: Six trips up and down the #1 Boiler - 16:55. Sweating profusely. Time for water!

galatia Mon, Jun-27-05 03:52

Good morning. That looked like a great arm work-out. Don't you just love trying new things....I love the way twisting kickbacks feel, but I rarely do kickbacks anymore. I think I might do them this week. On your bent-over curls, were you just letting your arms hang down not braced against anything? I think I tried those once, but didn't really give them much of a chance. You certainly seemed to think highly of them. Maybe I should give them another try.
You mentioned your wife not being in very good shape right now, has she shown any interest in weight training? She might really take to it. Women don't usually like the idea of their husbands looking better than they do. :rolleyes:
Well, hope it's a fine day for all of us. :)

galatia Mon, Jun-27-05 04:21

Hey ladies-- I didn't know if you were aware or not, but Mark has his success story posted. It's very interesting. And he has so much to be proud of. :)

IdahoSpud Mon, Jun-27-05 05:01

LOL - If pulling yourself out of a hole that you could have avoided in the first place is something to be proud of! :lol:

galatia Mon, Jun-27-05 05:30

Quote:
BTW, you've been at this a while now... what keeps *you* committed?
Well, I started this in what... 1986, as far as weight training goes. My first husband had "issues" with fat deposits of any kind showing up on me-- and during my pregnancy with my son, dh had an another affair confirming in my mind how very important it was for me to look as good as I could. I worked hard at getting into shape, as the affair continued for several months after my son was born. I started going to the track walking first. I'd put ds in his stroller and we'd walk the track almost everyday. Through a progression of things I became an aerobics instructor and while I was in the gym started weight training. LOVED IT!! Not a lot of women were very serious about weight training back then, at least where I was. So my sad little broken to tiny little bits ego was encouraged again by the attention I got in the gym. All my experiences with weight training were good ones, and I was pretty good at it, so it became my hobby. I got very side-tracked for awhile somewhere in the mid 1990s, and just got started back in the Spring of 2004. I hope I never get side-tracked again. So what keeps me committed?-- I love the way it feels to have muscles and strength-- I love the way I feel mentally, and that I'll continue to look better as the years pass instead of worse. I don't ever want to be a burden on anyone because I didn't take good care of myself. And I'll never forget the pain of my husband not desiring me. Probably lots of other reasons too, but those are what comes to mind right now. :)

I guess I could have just said, "because of how it makes me feel." But you got the long version. ;)

galatia Mon, Jun-27-05 05:33

Quote:

If pulling yourself out of a hole that you could have avoided in the first place is something to be proud of!

Yes, it is something to be proud of. There are thousands of people who never do pull themselves out. And look at all you've learned. As terrible as it all was, you're probably a better person for having gone through it. And an example for others who are going through similar things. :)

galatia Mon, Jun-27-05 09:17

Quote:
I'm a little uncomfortable with this new attention myself, having always been one of those invisible people. Some of the gals don't even bother being discreet about watching, and some guys puff up like they want to fight... whatever :daze: It's weird.
Don't misunderstand me....I feel the same way. At the time this all was happening, I was surprised by the attention. My self-worth was at an all time low, and as uncomfortable as it was, my feelings about myself got better. So for that I was grateful. It's still hard for me to accept a compliment.

Cara73 Mon, Jun-27-05 14:51

Hi Mark,

LOL at the deal with lunges. You're probably right. But if it meant getting in better shape, I'd take it. Oh well, I can't so I won't.

No, I've never heard of that ham. But I've only been here about 7 years. I'm from Chicago originally. Maybe that's why? And I'm about 4 hours from St. Louis.

I'll definitely be reading your success story. I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!! And have a terrific night.

IdahoSpud Tue, Jun-28-05 03:29

Monday - no workout, day off.

Got off night shift Monday at 5:30 AM.
Got home and waited for Grace to wake at 8:00AM
Played with her until 8:30AM, then slept
Woke up at 2:00 PM
Back to bed at 8:00 PM
Restless - insomnia at 12:30 AM Tuesday morning.
3:45 AM - Out the door to work to assist starting the plant up. Ugh. I'm tired.
I have a sleep disorder - it's called shift work! :)

galatia Tue, Jun-28-05 04:46

Quote:
And I too am uncomfortable with compliments and praise. I just want to crawl under the table!
Exactly! Later when I think about the kindness that was given, it makes me feel good, but at the time, I just want to point out why the compliment is misplaced and point out how unworthy I am to receive it. And the poor person is standing there looking completely confused . I try now to just say "thank-you" and let it go. But inside my head I'm still hearing the rebuttals.
My Dad did swing shift work. Not good for us kids. There were 4 of us all very close in age-- my poor Mom was in charge of keeping us from making ANY noise. If Dad heard a light switch he was storming out of his room yelling about all the noise. My favorite shift was 3 to 11. He was gone when we got home from school and we were gone by the time he got up the next day.

O.K. Mark and Pammie, we're about 15 days out from meeting our friends-- or Abs day. I'm really going to push hard to lose 6.5 pounds. I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen, but I figure shoot high and work harder. Fo-cus, fo-cus.....

pammiejoe6 Tue, Jun-28-05 05:55

did i tell ya'll ive lost half an inch off my waist and half off my hips??:D EXCITING!!! Cmon Debbie baby...you can lose that 6 lbs girl! keep up the great job!

Quote:

What difference do you notice with the BB rows between pronated & supinated grips? I'm interested to know soon (back and chest is tonight!)
I *love* incline curls!!! I'd do them every day if I could!
Also what's a drag curl? I'm always looking for new ways to add some meat to these toothpicks! :)

well the suppinated grip ( palms facing your body) is a LOT more difficult for me to do than the pronated ( palms away). the suppinated makes it harder to lift the barbell as high and it works my back in a little lower zone than the pronated i think.

a drag curl is basically a barbell curl ( although i use the cambered bar)...but you drag the bar along your body all the way up and then all the way back down while keeping your elbows close into your body. really brings out a nice burn in those biceps and the back as well IMO.