Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Parmesan Flax Crackers ("Flax Crax") (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=424275)

Syrah Tue, Mar-01-11 13:00

Parmesan Flax Crackers ("Flax Crax")

I made these because company was coming and I needed something to keep me away from the tortilla chips that I was serving with guacamole. Plan backfired: everyone else chose these instead of the tortilla chips too!

Parmesan Flax Crackers (“Flax Crax”)

A great high fiber, crunchy, nutritious, and tasty snack. Good with dips, spreads, or plain.

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
1 cup flax seed meal (I use golden flax seed meal from Costco)
½ cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup water
2 tsp olive oil
2 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp flax seeds
Other interesting additions:
poppy seeds
rosemary
Italian seasoning

Preparation:
Heat oven to 375 F

Mix dry ingredients together.

Mix oil and water, stir into dry ingredients to combine. When dough thickens up a bit, scoop out small spoonfuls and roll into balls about the size of a large olive.

Place dough balls on parchment-lined baking sheet. Flatten balls with the bottom of a measuring cup (or something), with a small piece of parchment paper between it and the dough . You want the wafers to be very flat and thin. Prick the centers with the tines of a fork to keep them flat.

Bake until edges are lightly brown and the centers are firm and dry to the touch, about 15-18 minutes. (Baking time will depend on your oven and how thick you make the crackers.) Remove to a rack to cool.

HollyRF Wed, Mar-02-11 04:58

These look great! I'm definitely going to give these a try! Do you happen to know what the nutritional info is on them? Just curious.

Syrah Wed, Mar-02-11 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyRF
These look great! I'm definitely going to give these a try! Do you happen to know what the nutritional info is on them? Just curious.

I don't, off hand, but I do remember calculating that 4 crackers would have about 1 g of carbs.

Obviously, these are high fat and high calorie. Ask me if I care .. :D

Oh, when I do the recipe, I get about 3 dozen crax, each about the size of a ritz cracker. Make sure you press them thin thin thin.

HollyRF Thu, Mar-03-11 04:48

Thanks! I think I'm going to give these a try over the weekend! I'm in serious need of a crunchy treat!

WeimieMom Thu, Mar-03-11 06:07

Here is the breakdown...

Nutrition Facts

24 Servings

Amount Per Serving

Calories 58.0

Total Fat 4.3 g

Saturated Fat 1.0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 2.4 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.2 g

Cholesterol 2.5 mg

Sodium 116.9 mg

Potassium 42.7 mg

Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g

Dietary Fiber 2.7 g

Sugars 0.0 g

Protein 3.3 g

RP100 Wed, Jun-29-11 06:14

Great recipe! I gave it a try and they were very popular! Love the name too - flax crax :-)

aj_cohn Sat, Oct-13-12 20:58

It's probably the glutamate in the parmesan cheese that makes the cracker so rewarding to the brain.