Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb War Zone (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Ozempic ads seem to be everywhere. Doctors and ethics experts are worried (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485530)

deirdra Tue, Aug-01-23 15:11

The standard recommendation for what to eat when nauseous is crackers, virtually nutrient-free processed starch. Not very helpful for people who crave carbs.

WereBear Wed, Aug-02-23 04:54

My nausea go to was always dill pickles.

JEY100 Wed, Aug-02-23 06:27

Back to the ads being everywhere, on X, Fomerly known as Twitter, this morning had an ad for…"GLP-1 Prescription Medication Delivered to your doorstep!
Doctor prescribed Semaglutide. (By Telemedicine) No insurance required." ReflexMD.com. I can just imagine how thorough the "Medical Management" of your health history and side effects will be. :rolleyes:

GRB5111 Sat, Aug-05-23 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Back to the ads being everywhere, on X, Fomerly known as Twitter, this morning had an ad for…"GLP-1 Prescription Medication Delivered to your doorstep!
Doctor prescribed Semaglutide. (By Telemedicine) No insurance required." ReflexMD.com. I can just imagine how thorough the "Medical Management" of your health history and side effects will be. :rolleyes:

Just starting the countdown for when the first class action lawsuit is filed.

Calianna Mon, Aug-07-23 07:33

The way things are going with the various semaglutide drugs, I have to wonder how long it'll be before it's available over the counter?

Deidre - The friend was pretty much subsisting on a few crackers, potatoes, rice, and protein drinks that first week.

Second week, no nausea reported, but still not much appetite. Food consumption expanded to include some low fat cheese and yogurt, fruit and veggies.

This would be the beginning of the 3rd week, and they finally had some seafood, because they still can't stand the thought of any kind of meat. That is despite truly liking meat and having done LC very successfully in the past. Although to be fair, this person has often gone on "just not interested in meat" spells prior to Wegovy, so not totally unexpected that they'd not want meat now.

What it sounds like right now is that it's acting as an appetite suppressant, not just in the sense that the stomach empties very slowly so they're not physically hungry, but also thoughts about food seem to be practically non-existent.

It sounds as if the thought process has changed radically. Normally the thought process would be "XXX food sounds really good right about now. I'll eat some of that, maybe 2 of them. " On the Wegovy this friend actually forgets to eat until they start to get a little shaky because thoughts of food are so far from their mind.

I don't know how much of that comes from not experiencing the extreme blood sugar highs and lows that cause the brain to register "hunger" and prompt you to search for food, or whether the semaglutide is more directly interfering with hunger signals in the brain.

doreen T Mon, Aug-07-23 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
The way things are going with the various semaglutide drugs, I have to wonder how long it'll be before it's available over the counter?

I was thinking the same thing. Sigh.

WereBear Mon, Aug-07-23 15:44

Quote:
It sounds as if the thought process has changed radically.

I don't know how much of that comes from not experiencing the extreme blood sugar highs and lows that cause the brain to register "hunger" and prompt you to search for food, or whether the semaglutide is more directly interfering with hunger signals in the brain.

I think it's the guess in the italics more than anything. These sensors are not only in the gut, they are in the lungs and brain, I learned from a Dr. Berry video. It must be telling the brain don't even think about food along with the other symptoms.

For weight loss, the dose is much higher, weekly, instead of a smaller dose and daily.

This has not been tested like the schedule for diabetes. It's the same drug, but not the same doses. :help:

WereBear Mon, Aug-07-23 15:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Just starting the countdown for when the first class action lawsuit is filed.

There have been many famous lawsuits in my lifetime. But it doesn't seem to make enough people wary...

Calianna Mon, Aug-07-23 16:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I think it's the guess in the italics more than anything. These sensors are not only in the gut, they are in the lungs and brain, I learned from a Dr. Berry video. It must be telling the brain don't even think about food along with the other symptoms.

For weight loss, the dose is much higher, weekly, instead of a smaller dose and daily.

This has not been tested like the schedule for diabetes. It's the same drug, but not the same doses. :help:

Sorry, I couldn't tell which part you italicized in the quote - it all comes up in italics in a quote! :lol:

Quote:

The friend told me it's actually a much lower dose when prescribed for weight loss.

Another acquaintance is a diabetic on Ozempic, and that person has a weekly injection too, but it's definitely a larger dose than the one on Wegovy takes.

From what I understand, there is an oral version of semaglutide for diabetics too - that one is smaller and more frequent. If it's available in the US, I haven't come across anyone taking it yet.

As far as the carb content of what they're eating - yeah, they're getting some carbs, but it doesn't sound like they're able to eat anywhere near the 300 g of carbs that are supposed to be healthy for everyone. What they're describing sounds like it adds up to maybe as much as 100 g carbs daily, with a little protein and a small amount of fat.

So like almost any diet, it still results in significantly reduced carbs (compared to the 300 THEY want us to eat), even if not truly LC levels.

WereBear Tue, Aug-08-23 07:33

Quote:

To be more clear, I do think the drug acts on hunger signals directly, and since multiple organs are connected, it has the famous Unexpected Consequences.

The thing that bothers me the most is connected with the reports of mental issues, especially in people who never experienced them before. But a close second is how the fat cells, under this drug, both shrink and multiply.

When I assume that's a famine behavior, with the body under pressure to give it up fast, and make some more for next time, waiting to be filled, I can see the potential for some really dramatic rebound effects.

doreen T Tue, Aug-08-23 08:36

just FYI

Quote:
Another acquaintance is a diabetic on Ozempic, and that person has a weekly injection too, but it's definitely a larger dose than the one on Wegovy takes.

From what I understand, there is an oral version of semaglutide for diabetics too - that one is smaller and more frequent. If it's available in the US, I haven't come across anyone taking it yet.

The pill form of semaglutide is Rybelsus; it's been available since 2018 (US), 2020 (Canada and others). Like Ozempic, its "label" use is solely for treatment of T2 diabetes .. to lower blood sugar and improve co-morbidities such as high blood pressure and risk of heart disease/stroke.

To the best of my knowledge, Wegovy injection is the only version of semaglutide that's specifically for weight loss, where obesity is accompanied by other weight-related health risk(s).

Dosages:
  • Ozempic injection - start 0.25mg, gradually increase to maximum 1mg per once-weekly dose. May increase to 2mg only if adequate blood sugar control cannot be achieved with lower dose
  • Wegovy injection - start 0.25mg, gradually increase to maximum 2.4mg per once-weekly dose
  • Rybelsus oral tablet - start 3mg once daily for 30 days, then increase to 7mg once daily. May increase to 14mg once daily only if adequate blood sugar control cannot be achieved with lower dose
  • Info from fda.gov

Hope that's helpful :read:

cotonpal Tue, Aug-08-23 09:34

This article appeared today in the Washington Post. You probably need a subscription to read it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...wegovy-ozempic/

GRB5111 Tue, Aug-08-23 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
There have been many famous lawsuits in my lifetime. But it doesn't seem to make enough people wary...

Unfortunately, class action lawsuits benefit the attorneys more than the victims who have suffered. The primary action is to punish the perpetrators to prevent future harms. Currently, prescribing these drugs is a risk, as is recently typical with new drugs, the reported adverse events don’t occur until people consume these chemicals after they’ve been approved for consumption. Any adverse events during the drug trial are the property of the pharmaceutical holding the patent and are never published or shared.

Calianna Tue, Aug-08-23 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
The pill form of semaglutide is Rybelsus; it's been available since 2018 (US), 2020 (Canada and others). Like Ozempic, its "label" use is solely for treatment of T2 diabetes .. to lower blood sugar and improve co-morbidities such as high blood pressure and risk of heart disease/stroke.

To the best of my knowledge, Wegovy injection is the only version of semaglutide that's specifically for weight loss, where obesity is accompanied by other weight-related health risk(s).

Dosages:
  • Ozempic injection - start 0.25mg, gradually increase to maximum 1mg per once-weekly dose. May increase to 2mg only if adequate blood sugar control cannot be achieved with lower dose
  • Wegovy injection - start 0.25mg, gradually increase to maximum 2.4mg per once-weekly dose
  • Rybelsus oral tablet - start 3mg once daily for 30 days, then increase to 7mg once daily. May increase to 14mg once daily only if adequate blood sugar control cannot be achieved with lower dose
  • Info from fda.gov

Hope that's helpful :read:

Thank you for that information.

JEY100 Wed, Sep-27-23 10:30

Prescriptions for Ozempic and similar drugs soar past 9 million

Quote:
Health-care providers wrote more than 9 million prescriptions for Ozempic and similar drugs in the final three months of 2022, according to a new analysis of medications that have become highly sought-after for their weight-loss effects.

The report, released Wednesday by data-analytics firm Trilliant Health, shows that quarterly prescriptions quadrupled between early 2020 and the end of last year. And while Ozempic has regulatory approval to treat diabetes, the data indicate that many providers prescribed it off-label, meaning for a treatment other than its approved use.
The figure for total prescriptions is based on insurance claims and is likely an undercount. Many health plans don’t cover weight-loss drugs, leaving patients to pay for them out of pocket.

Trilliant’s analysis, which encompasses claims data for about 300 million Americans and examines health trends broadly, also found that a little more than half of patients taking Ozempic or a similar drug have a history of diabetes. That reinforces what has been widely assumed: Many patients are using diabetes drugs off-label for weight loss, according to Sanjula Jain, Trilliant’s chief research officer. Continues…..

First the drug ads, then the off-label use, then an unregulated industry of cheaper imitations. Not clear if this data even includes those clinics.
https://wapo.st/3ten0CU