PDA

View Full Version : Paxil and LC

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ggrumpy
Fri, Apr-18-03, 04:20
Hi Everyone,

I've been LCing since late Feb. I'm taking Paxil and Busparine. I've read here and there that these kind of medications will slow down weight loss. Has anyone out there experienced problems?

Thank's

smurf
Tue, Apr-22-03, 06:49
Hi, I have mctd(lupus,rheumotoid arthiritis and fibro) I had initially started with paxil however it made me gain weight, I also tried wellbutrin with the same results, I finally was put on Prozac (not really the 1st med for fibro) it was the one med on which I did not gain weight and on which I actually lost some. My rheumotologist said that each person reacts differently to each anti-depressant medication but unfortunately some make you gain weight or make it almost impossible to lose, something about serotonin (sorry, this was in German and I could not follow it all) I would talk to my doc and see what he suggests or what his experience is?? At this time I only take the German equivalent of Plaquenil(anti-malarial med) and an occasional diclofenec(NAISD). Well, lots of luck!!

BeccaResRN
Tue, Apr-22-03, 07:06
I hated the way Paxil made me feel so i only took it for 2 weeks. I take Zoloft and for me it doesn't make me gain weight...it may be helping my weight loss but I'm not sure if its the Zoloft or just the fact that my SAD/depression has lifted.

A friend at work took Wellbutrin and she said she lost weight while on it.....But this is definetely a your usage may vary thing :wave:

ggrumpy
Fri, May-09-03, 04:23
Thank you everyone for your helpful information.

summer*rai
Sun, May-25-03, 21:09
I am on 50 mg of paxil now....after being on for years...It has been a miracle drug for me and other members of my family...My rheumy told me that meds don't make you gain weight, they may make you hungry, but if you would do what dr atkins told you to do in his book, you would loose weight instead of gaining. I also take 75 mg of elavil and zanax as needed...These drugs are used as pain relievers from fibromyalgia/lupus disorder...Good luck to find a med that works for you....

ohmissy
Wed, Jun-18-03, 20:06
I was on Paxil for over a year. When I went to a new pain clinic, the first thing the doctor did was change my med to Effexor. He did this because of the weight issue, he said.

One thing you should know is if you've been on Paxil for any real period of time, you cannot just stop taking it. Many people go thru a boomerang effect and actually become worse than they ever were. To prevent this, doctors will tell you how to decrease it in safe amounts until you're off of it.