PDA

View Full Version : [Zone] a little help needed

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Louzone
Thu, Apr-10-03, 12:19
Good afternoon,
I am new to the zone, I have the zone and soyzone books. I have not read them from cover to cover but I believe I have the basic idea. I have been doing the hand method of the zone...protein the size of my palm and carb the size of my fist but I would like to get into it a little deeper. For lunch today I had a morningstar veggie corn dog and 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese and a small salad with no dressing.
This is how I figured the blocks out...is this right?

Corn Dog 22 carbs, 3 fiber and 7 grams of protein
Light and lively cottage cheese..per 1/2 cup
5g carbs, 0 fiber and 12 g protein

22-3+5= 24/9= 2.6 block of carbs
7+12=19/7= 2.7 blocks of protein

PHEW!!!!! Did I do this right......

Thanks for all the help....I will get this..I hope ;)

Breecita
Fri, Apr-11-03, 05:42
I'm not too experienced but it looks fairly good to me... (though make sure you have a bit of fat in there, as well, as I understand that's an important part of the forumua!)

I tried to figure things out using the grams... but right now, since I'm just getting used to it, I find it FAR easier to look in the books and use their measurements.

I'm pretty sure if you look in t he back of the Zone book, there should be at least a small chart listing some major foods and their blocks... try putting together meals that way.

There is a nice big book that has listings of hundreds of food items and their blocks, including a section in the back that does the same for fast food restaurants! :D

lisalaura
Fri, Apr-11-03, 13:01
Maybe I can help. So, you had:

Corn Dog 22 carbs, 3 fiber and 7 grams of protein

The corn dog would be 2 Carb Blocks and 1 Protein Block. Be sure when you are calculating your carb you subtract the fiber first.

22 carb- 3 fiber = 19 grams of carbs.
Since one block of carbs = 9 grams of carbs, the dog equals 2 carb blocks.

Next, Light and lively cottage cheese, 1/2 cup

5g carbs, 0 fiber and 12 g protein

That would be 1/2 carb block (if you add in the side salad that will be "at least" 4 grams of carbs which will make it a full ONE Carb Block!)

And "almost" 2 protein blocks. You are just off 2 grams of protein to equal 2 protein blocks, since one block of protein equals 7 grams.

OK, this equals 3 carb blocks, and 3 protein blocks.

The major thing you are missing are the fat blocks. Next time add one of the following: (provided there is no fat in the dog/cottage)
3 tsp Slivered Almonds to cottage cheese or
1 tsp Olive oil to salad

Hope I helped! :q:

Louzone
Fri, Apr-11-03, 15:16
Thanks a bunch :)
I believe I am beginning to hang of this and I will make sure I fit in the fat blocks. I did not have a good zone lunch today since my friend took me out for lunch and insisted I have the roasted red pepper pita role and sweet potatoe fries....carbs..carbs..carbs..YIKES...
But I will get back on tract tonight. I hope you all have a geat weekend,
Lou