PDA

View Full Version : thyroid & depo shot

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

reese
Fri, Apr-04-03, 13:20
I was on the depo shot for about 2 years and have been off of it now for about 6 months. The reason I mention this is because I have almost every symptom on the check list found at the top of this forum but most of the wierdest/ most severe started when I began taking depo. Since I'm now off of the birth control, I wonder if this problem will just go away on its own or if taking the depo has some how permantly altered my hormones because the symptoms persist. And my hormones are definetly out of whack. One of the wierdest things I experience (hormone-related) is that I feel sick in the morning. (Yes, just like morning sickness, but I'm not pregnant). It feels like low blood sugar but it doesn't go away when I eat something, it just goes away on its own mid-afternoon. Although, occasionally it has persisted all day- those are the worst days-when I feel REALLY sick and I'm walking around all day gagging. One of my friends who had morning sickness while pregnant told me it was hormone-related. Anyway, thats just one freak hormone thing, I could go on and on. What confuses me is that I'm only 24. Aren't thyroid probs usually a problem for older people?
What prompted me to visit this forum was actually a suggestion by a memebr on the fit forum where I'd just posted the results of a metabolism test: it was unusually low (RMR just over 1000 cals). That in combination with my family history (mom, grandma & great-grandma all have hypothyroid) makes me wonder if I don't have a thyroid prob. I have a high resting heartbeat despite being a long-distance runner so I wonder if maybe I'm hyper or hyper/hypo.
Here specifically are my concerns and symptoms:
Fam history
Slow metabolism
Can't lose weight
Gained 10 lbs in 6 mo for no reason (I know thats not a lot but I have been doing EVERTHING to stop/ lose it)
IBS
Need 9 hours sleep to function
Hair is falling out (although not so much now that I stopped depo)Coarse skin (Only on feet though...Normal?)
Irregular period (but thats been the case all my life)
VERY restless- its why I run!
Moods change (I'm famous for this)
forgetful (this has been the case all my life- and I'm also famous for this)
No sex drive (started w/ depo and never returned and this is crazy bc I used to be worse than most men I know)
Snoring (always have and I have allergies)
Shortness of breath/ need to yawn (A lot!)
Eyes feel gritty
Jumpy eyes
Vertigo (started w/ depo)..no headaches
Recurrent sinus problems (but I have allergies)
Lightheadedness (this can be VERY bad)
I see that swelling in the neck/ nodules is a symptom but I don't know where on the neck the swelling would be. The right lymphnode on my neck is chronically swollen and its always worried me. Is that the area they're talking about??

I welcome and comments/ suggestions.

DarkRose
Fri, Apr-04-03, 17:23
You said it yourself, your hormones are definitely out of whack! Depo did very similar things to me, and while things have improved since getting off of it, I'm still not 100% better (and it has been maybe 3 years!). Absolutely go to a doctor and do NOT let them convince you nothing is wrong or that it's all in your head. Thyroid problems absolutely can happen when you're only 24! Best of luck! :)