PDA

View Full Version : [Zone] What is Tom Yesterday?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

headstrong
Fri, Apr-04-03, 12:48
I'm still pretty new to this diet... sorry for the newbie questions. I've seen this "Tom Yesterday" term a few times now on this site, but haven't got a clue what that means. I don't remember reading about that in my Atkins or Zone books.

Another question I have is this: I've been on the Zone for a about 2 and a half weeks or so, and haven't seen any weight loss. This wouldn't really concern me too much except for the fact that I went on Atkins for 3 months and was very dilligent and didn't lose weight on that either. Nothing on induction...so I went more and more extreme with the diet until I was basically on a fat fast for a month and still no weight loss. Obviously, that kind of diet didn't work for me. Even with pink ketosis strips (though never a desired deep red) , I didn't lose a pound in 3 months.... but I did manage to gain 10 pounds immediately following. The diet itself was horrible enough (caffeine & carb withdrawls FROM HELL, grossed myself out with excessive amounts of fats, felt generally crappy all the time.... Augh!) But the aftermath of the instant weight gain just added insult to injury and makes me very nervous about entering into another diet of this sort.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone that was just absolutely NOT ABLE to lose weight on induction or fat fast? And, if it IS possible that some people just can't lose weight on this kind of diet... then could it be that the Zone could be just a bit too similar to Atkins and perhaps it isn't right for my stubborn body either?

I guess what I'm saying is I'm scared that I may suffer the same consequences as I did on Atkins (though I must admit, the food is a billion times better on the Zone and I don't feel crappy at all, which is a big relief) -- maybe I'm just being paranoid but I'm wondering if there are some body types that just don't respond to low carb diets, and I worry that I might be one of them.

The last dumb question is this: I know the Zone doesn't obsess on calorie counting, but is more concerned with zone blocks... but the 11 blocks I'm supposed to have feels very restrictive to me (cuz I'm still hungry after most meals). I think I've been overeating (which is probably the reason I've not lost weight) -- more likely consuming about 13-14 blocks per day. I'm fairly active, but probably not as active as I should be. In any case, I'd like some advice on cutting back on my food blocks since I'm feeling really hungry most of the day with only 11 blocks. Can I add a little ephedra or other diet aid to help curb appetite? Could it be that the zone is really only effective because its actually just another a restrictive (low-calorie) diet? In other words, could it be that it has less to do with the RATIO of food eaten, and much more to do with the AMOUNT of food eaten? Or, can one eat until satisfied (hence, more calories, but still in the zone) and still lose weight?

I guess I'm asking this because I'm wondering if I'm the only one who feels that this diet is a bit restrictive with only 11 blocks. Because, if this is adequate for everyone else, then perhaps my problem is just portion control and overeating. Maybe it's not Atkins or Zone I should be putting all my energy into necessarily... perhaps it should be overeater's anonymous or something like that -- something that deals with an eating disorder and not my ability to follow ratios or make pretty red ketosis strips.

I'm just trying to figure out what my problem is... when one fails on every diet, the realization sets in that maybe it's the dieter and not the diet that is at fault.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Feedback?

Zuleikaa
Fri, Apr-04-03, 13:54
IMHO. Some people don't do well on Atkins as some don't do well on CAD or the Zone. This is not a one size fits all diet world. There are many possible diets and many individual body chemistries. Each person needs to find the eating plan that meshes with his/her body chemistry and helps them lose and maintain a healthy body and body weight.

There is a thread on here called the Adam & Eve diet that might be helpful. It explains that different types of people do well on different types of diets, something I've always believed.

Reading the diets and research and seeing if the people who have succeeded on a plan fit your particular profile is helpful too. No one plan works for everyone. You just need to discover the plan that fits you.

lisalaura
Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:00
I'm still pretty new to this diet... sorry for the newbie questions.

You should read my old questions! :)

I've seen this "Tom Yesterday" term a few times now on this site, but haven't got a clue what that means.

TOM I believe most woman say this referring the their "menstral cycle." :)

I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone that was just absolutely NOT ABLE to lose weight on induction or fat fast?

YES ME!!! I could not lose on induction or make the keto strips turn colors. But I AM losing inches in the ZONE! (3 weeks now!)

then could it be that the Zone could be just a bit too similar to Atkins and perhaps it isn't right for my stubborn body either?

The Zone is NOTHING like Atkins. They call it low carb but really, if his critics read his books, it's not :)

I guess what I'm saying is I'm scared that I may suffer the same consequences as I did on Atkins

The great thing about the Zone is that it is bascially your normal healthy diet. A little protein, veggies, fruit, and top with a little healthy fat. VOILA!

There aren't too large a consequence as Atkins. If you decided down the road you wanted to up your carb intake you wouldn't gain terribly like on Atkins. Also, you can eat bread, just choose the right kind, high in fiber. :thup:

I'm just trying to figure out what my problem is... when one fails on every diet, the realization sets in that maybe it's the dieter and not the diet that is at fault.

I too failed at every diet, check out my profile to see all the books I read, those are all the diets I did. You name it I did it. But I am back in the Zone and very happy about it! :)

BTW- Zuleikaa's advice is a very good idea as well ! :idea:

Lisa :wave:

xcarbs
Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:16
Hi, Ive been doing atkins for a couple of months now and am really not getting very far with it,but am terribly afraid now to try something else because of all the weight gain I have read about on this site. Can anyone explain to me why people seem to gain wait.Is it only because they go back to eating a bunch of carbs and sugar?because I wouldn't do that,I'm thrilled that I have found recipes to bake low carb and no sugar products and will always do that,the carbs I use to eat were in the form of all the fat free food I consumed(sugar I guess).I'm really not sure what to do ,it seems I'm pretty much close to the same weight no matter how I eat,I was hoping the atkins diet would "break the cycle".I wont give up yet though, someone said to give it 3 months,so that's what I'm going to do. thanks all
Wendy

adnil53
Fri, Apr-04-03, 16:21
The only reason I feel I have gained is from not sticking to the program... whatever one I was trying... It was never because the program didn't work, it was ME... I think that I fell off 'the wagon' because of emotional issues... that had nothing to do with food...

ZoneCoach
Sat, Apr-05-03, 00:02
Originally posted by headstrong
I've been on the Zone for a about 2 and a half weeks or so, and haven't seen any weight loss.
If you haven't already read "A Week in the Zone", you may want to pick up a copy ($7.00 paperback). It's a great "getting started" book.
This wouldn't really concern me too much except for the fact that I went on Atkins for 3 months and was very dilligent and didn't lose weight on that either. Nothing on induction...so I went more and more extreme with the diet until I was basically on a fat fast for a month and still no weight loss.
Your metabolism is probably a little whacked out. It's going to take some time for it to get used to this new WOE.
Could it be that the Zone could be just a bit too similar to Atkins
Atkins maintenance is the only thing that comes remotely close to Zone.

I know the Zone doesn't obsess on calorie counting, but is more concerned with zone blocks... but the 11 blocks I'm supposed to have feels very restrictive to me (cuz I'm still hungry after most meals).
That's just not right. As I said earlier, post some menus for eval. 11 blocks is probably too low and you're probably not getting enough fat. How have you determined your block count?

Could it be that the zone is really only effective because its actually just another a restrictive (low-calorie) diet? In other words, could it be that it has less to do with the RATIO of food eaten, and much more to do with the AMOUNT of food eaten?
When it comes to weight loss, it's both.

adnil53
Sat, Apr-05-03, 16:34
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

headstrong
Sun, Apr-06-03, 04:53
I’ve heard varying opinions on the 11 blocks I’m supposed to be consuming. Based on the calculations, I seems that’s all I should be having, but others I’ve talked to say that 11 blocks is the minimum and that I could probably stand to have more. This is why I posed my question regarding how many blocks others get away with – if having one or two more than the book recommends effects them one way or another. Or, if they also find their block allotment restrictive but have tips & tricks on how to stave off hunger (like eating more fish caps or popping a small amount of ephedra or if there is any kind of Zone supplement that helps).

ZoneCoach
Sun, Apr-06-03, 22:44
Originally posted by headstrong
I’ve heard varying opinions on the 11 blocks I’m supposed to be consuming. Based on the calculations, I seems that’s all I should be having, but others I’ve talked to say that 11 blocks is the minimum and that I could probably stand to have more.
Where are you getting the the "varying opinions" and your calculations? You can use the BF calculator here: http://www.zoneperfect.com/Site/content/Calculator.asp
which will give you the correct block count for your LBM and your activity level.
and that I could probably stand to have more.
You have stated previously you are not losing weight, however, the scale is not the best indicator of fat loss. Are your clothes fitting better? If not, the blocks you are consuming may be too many, not enough, or proportioned incorrectly. Also, be sure to consume enough H2O and never let more than 5 hours pass without eating. A B4 bed is also important.
This is why I posed my question regarding how many blocks others get away with – if having one or two more than the book recommends effects them one way or another.
Your block count is based on your LBM and activity level. The amount of protein remains constant, while carbs may be slightly adjusted (up or down) and fat may need to be increased (never decreased). These adjustments are done once you're following the plan correctly and need hormonal tweaking such as lack of mental clarity, tiredness, hunger, plateau, etc.
Or, if they also find their block allotment restrictive but have tips & tricks on how to stave off hunger
As I've stated in other posts, one should never be hungry if following the plan correctly. Post a menu or two for additional assitance.
like eating more fish caps
Fish oil can have a dramatic impact on your body. More is not necessarily better. It should be treated as a drug and used accordingly.