PDA

View Full Version : Help me with High Intensity Interval Training

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DCMark
Wed, Apr-02-03, 15:01
It seems like HIIT is the best way to burn fat. Can someone tell me how I can take my 30-40 minute continuous run and create a HIIT workout from it?

I want it to be running. I do not have access to weights or a gym. 30-40 min max.

Thanks very much!

mark

Skamito
Wed, Apr-02-03, 15:12
There are a couple ways you can approach it. You could do spurts... say 30 seconds jogging, 30 seconds of wind-sprinting. Or you could try Body For Life styles. Here's some details on that: BFL Cardio training (http://www.bodyforlife.com/cardio.shtm)

Hope that helps.

DCMark
Wed, Apr-02-03, 15:18
Thanks! Anyone else?

KathyD
Wed, Apr-02-03, 16:16
I am not a runner, but an example of HIIT running is in this thread, perhaps this is what you are looking for?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93563

kaypeeoh
Wed, Apr-02-03, 16:43
If you only have 30-40 minutes, you can do a lot. You could do a 10k tempo run. Tempo means running fast but controlled, not sprinting. Sprinting is also good. You would get the fastest results if you were using a heart rate monitor. Get your heart rate around 95% of max for 30-60 seconds, then rest til the rate drops back to resting rate, then repeat as many times as you can stand it. I'm a slow, lazy runner so I use a treadmill at 15% grade. I run at 5 to 5.5 mph for a half lap then jump off till my heart rate drops, then repeat. It would be best to jog a mile or two as a warmup before doing anything that difficult.

If you don't have a gym, find a steep hill. If you live in a flat area, use stadium steps or a skyscraper stairwell.

RodeRash
Fri, Apr-04-03, 13:18
If you live in a flat area, use stadium steps or a skyscraper stairwell

Running stairwells is a great HIIT exercize. See if you can find a building with around 10 floors. Run up, but go down slower. You will be anerobic on the way up, and will be aerobic on the way down.

30 to 40 minutes worth would be plenty.