PDA

View Full Version : Treats

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kascalia
Fri, Mar-28-03, 09:34
:q:
Does anyone treat themselfs to sweets? If so what do you have?
I have cravings for Ice cream. Is it ok to have no sugar added Bryers? If not what do you all suggest.
:daze:

Suni
Fri, Mar-28-03, 10:09
HI and Good Morning

Occasionally I allow myself a treat. If I feel like dessert I make the Jello whipped cream dish I shared under the "favourite recipes" link. Or, I buy a really good chocolate bar - the kind that is 70% cocoa (Lindt a Swiss brand is the only one I've found in Canad but I am sure there are more - read the label) and I allow myself a few squares of this. It isn't as sweet as regular chocolate bars and while it has a bit of sugar it has more cocoa so it doesn't affect your blood sugar quite as much. However I don't keep them in the house - these are a weekend only treat and I usually buy one bar and share it with hubby. Knowing I can have this treat on a Saturday keeps the pressure off - and sometimes I really don't even care if I have it - which, for me is unbelievable!

Piano
Fri, Mar-28-03, 10:11
I do treat myself to a Zone bar occasionally. Because it has a tad bit of sugar, it shouldn't be allowed but if I'm going to splurge on something, it may as well have some protein in it and taste yummy.

Most nonsugar icecreams have nutrasweet in them so Breyers no sugar I'm afraid is a no no.

Suni
Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:24
http://www.innerself.com/Behavior_Modification/Food_Cravings.htm

Thought you might find this interesting and informative.

CaroleSP
Fri, Apr-04-03, 08:56
Treats for me:

Dark chocolate- just a little
Smoothies with protein powder
Chai-tea lattes made with vanilla soymilk and no sugar
Zone Perfect PB bar
Ezekiel toast with Almond Butter
Ice Cream Shake- made at home with full fat ice cream, whole milk, and protein powder

Carole
:)

Rosemerry
Fri, Apr-04-03, 14:37
I love reading about everyone's treats! I too love the Lindt 70% Cocoa chocolate but have given up sweets for Lent so haven't really splurged on anything lately.

I love the idea of that soy chai latte w/no sugar? Can Starbucks make something like that?

This is my dilemna. My 1st wedding anniversary is April 20 with is also Easter Sunday. We have had the top of our wedding cake in the freezer for a year, and of course, tradition goes you have a slice of your wedding cake a year later. I have no idea how it will taste or even if it will be edible, that should be interesting! But I feel I have to at least taste it.

By then, Lent will be over and I'll probably have a few pieces of good quality chocolate on Easter; will really have to watch though. Rosemary

amieK
Fri, Apr-04-03, 15:40
.....I made a carrot cake for our wedding and froze the top layer as per the custom. Thawed it out for our first anniversary,
and it was absolutely awful. I only took one small bite but my husband wisely refused to have anything to do with year old cake.

Hope your experience is better Rosemerry ! Did you ever see the Seinfeld episode where Elaine eats Mr. Peterman's antique cake one sliver at a time? Too funny! lol

Anyway congratulations on your first anniversary! I wish you and your DH many happy years together. We will be celebrating our 19th anniversary in August, so we survived the cake incident, lol!

And I hear you about the Easter chocolate, sister!

All the best,
amieK

pv3882
Sat, Apr-05-03, 15:38
a banana with as much of almond butter as i want (it's not that much, trust me). it's very satisfying and healthy. i feel energetic afterward and very satisfied :o)

Rosemerry
Wed, Apr-16-03, 13:40
Amiek,
You look way too young to be celebrating your 19th wedding anniversary this summer!!! We're getting close to the defrosting of the top of our wedding cake for our anniversary on Sunday; I'll let you know what it tastes like! I hope it tastes terrible so I don't want to eat any.

Also, we're going to have a bottle of pineapple wine that we brought back from Maui on our honeymoon. I doubt that I'll drink a whole lot of it, it was pretty sweet if I remember correctly.

Looking forward to some chocolate Easter candy! I also bought myself a Lindt dark chocolate bar. I noticed a couple people mentioned it as a treat and it is wonderful; the carbs are pretty decent too.

Rosemerry

AllysonneV
Fri, Apr-18-03, 18:13
i eat an apple cut into wedges and dip it into 1/4 cup peanut butter - for some reason - dh and i think this tastes like caramel apples.

the only artificial sweetener i will eat is splenda and i limit that to one serving a week - if that.

ally

JudyAnn
Fri, Apr-18-03, 21:07
Mmmm Ally, apples with PB is one of my favorite snacks, especially with Granny Smith apples, they're so tart and the PB is so sweet. I also like apples with other nut butters.

amieK
Sat, Apr-19-03, 09:54
Yes! Apples with other nut butters is great!

I don't each PB much because of the aflotoxins(? ) or whatever it's called. Besides peanuts are really legumes and I don't tolerate most other legumes so I avoid them.

Apples and almond butter is my favourite. I've tried macadamia and cashew butter as well.

I adapted CarolCA's famous cheesecake using stevia and a bit of honey instead of AS. It's got carbs, but I tried to keep them to a minimum. Only problem is, it can re-awaken the sweet-tooth so it's best reserved for special occasions only. Don't remember if I've posted the recipe yet, but I'll check and if I haven't, I will.

A reminder: Just say no to any chocolate bunnies that hop your way!!! :nono:

Happy sugar-free Easter everybody!
amieK
:wave:

amieK
Sat, Apr-19-03, 10:31
Cheesecake recipe (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=965871#post965871)

:yum:

Sunski
Sun, Apr-20-03, 04:28
I know it's not allowed, but sometimes I have a sugar-free hard candy to sooth the sweet tooth.

The hardest Easter candy for me not to have is a Cadbury Egg. I love(d?) those things! And they're only available this time of year. So far, so good . . . .