PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Carolina

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

INDIO
Thu, Mar-27-03, 09:27
:wave: Hello, I was browsing the internet for articles on low-carb diets and I found this forum and thought that it was great so I decided to join. I may need some support along the way.
I am a 25 year old male from NC and I have never been one to have to diet but, about 7 months ago I began to get carried away with my eating and in about 4 months I gained almost 40 lbs. I was weighing 206 lbs. When I decided that it was time to slow down. I am now 199 lbs. and although it's not much, it is a start.
I want to get my wieght down to about 155-160. Actually I am not worried about the numbers on the scale, because I have begun a weight training schedule(although it's not alot right now)
I know that muscle weighs more than body fat, so I am more concerned about dropping the body fat than I am about lowering the numbers on the scale. :)
I see that many people here use the Atkins diet. I have a little diet plan that I got from a co-worker a few years ago. According to the diet it is used a hospital on patients who need to lose alot of weight fast before having surgery.
The diet includes eating 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, and grapefruit for breakfast.
For lunch, eating any type of meat with a salad and grape fruit.
For dinner, eating any type of meat, a salad or any type of green vegetables and grapefruit.
Bedtime snack, a glass of tomato juice.

According to the diet, there will be no weight loss for the first 4 days and on the 5th day you will lose 5 lbs. Every 2 days after that you will lose 1 1/2 lbs. My wife and I are going to begin this diet within the next few days. Has anyone else heard of or tried this diet? Does anyone know of any concerns that I should be aware of with this diet?
If anyone else would like to have this diet I would be happy to e-mail it to you> Thanks!

Rosebud
Fri, Mar-28-03, 01:53
Hi there Indio, welcome to the forum! :wave:

Your diet sounds suspiciously like the alleged Mayo Clinic Diet. I say alleged because the Mayo Clinic has never actually had anything to do with it.

I am always suspicious of a diet that says things like, "On the 5th day you will lose 5 pounds." We are all very different and lose at different rates.

Instead of using this diet, how about doing some reading and finding yourself a low carb eating plan that has been tried and tested? It really, really helps to do some reading before commencing a low carb plan.

If you go to the right side of the screen, you will see "Which low carb plan is right for me?"
This is a collection of summaries of the major plans. Choose the plan that will suit your lifestyle, then buy the book and read it thoroughly before you try to start.

All the best to you!

:rose:Rosebud:rose: