PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pages : [1] 2

teddybear3
Mon, Mar-24-03, 21:46
Hey there!
Im new to low carbing and I would love to talk to others in North Carolina. :)

kskinner
Tue, Jun-24-03, 18:26
HEy Jamie! where in north carolina? I just started this and I need help!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

randisue
Mon, Jul-07-03, 12:41
Hi, I haven't (re-)started Atkins yet, but plan to next week. I'd love someone locally to talk with. I live in Taylorsville, but that is close to Hickory.

beachdream
Sat, Jul-12-03, 19:38
Hey Everyone...
I'm in the Winston-Salem area.

I'm not on the Atkin's Diet, but the diet I am on (Beverly Hill's Weight Loss) IS low carb. (eek! I hope I don't get thrown out) :)

I am really enjoying this site. I have found a lot of good information...and it's nice to be among people who KNOW what you are "going thru". And hey, we can never get enough support!

Take care...and good luck to all!

randisue
Sun, Jul-13-03, 12:54
So Beachdream,

What's up with the Beverly Hills diet? Can you give me an encapsulated rundown on how it works?

I see you are from Winston-Salem. That is just over an hour from my house. My husband and I just moved to NC last August. We considered moving to the Triad area, but decided it was too densely populated for us. We've become "hicks" and love the country. It does have it's ups and downs though. The quiet, country life is slow in all ways. We both just got laid off, so it will certainly be tougher to find new jobs. And good jobs are even harder to find. (I'm not whining, I promise). We're happy in the lovely foothills.

Randi

beachdream
Sun, Jul-13-03, 15:22
Hi Randi...
To sum it up...here's what I can have each day:
3 servings of protein
4 servings of vegetables
3 fruits
2 starches (this includes potatoes, rice, corn..etc)
1 dairy
4 protein suplements each day (that I buy from the "clinic")

This is one of those diet plans that you pay for and visit the "clinic" a couple of times each week. Luckily, I paid for a VIP (lifetime) membership about 3 years ago..and I am just NOW getting really focused on dieting. It is sort of strict...But I have to say....IT WORKS!

I have lost 80lbs and I look and feel SO much younger. The only trouble I am having is with the saggy tummy and arm skin. I think it looks really bad...and unless I can find a way to reduce the skin....I will be getting surgery to remove it. I still have a ways to go, so hopefully it will shrink before I have to do anything drastic.

Sorry to hear about the lay off. It seems that's happening all too often these days.

Let me know how things are going for you!
Take care!
:yay:

randisue
Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:44
Well Beach,

It looks as if you WOE ends up to be quite low calorie?

I stick with Atkins because you can eat as much as you want to eat. And usually it deceases your appetite so that you aren't eating as much as you used to.

Today was my start day. Weighed in at 246. I've got an awful lot to lose. I'm big boned, but still should get down to the 150-170 range to look good.

I did well today. Was pretty busy, so I didn't get in very much water. I will have more before going to bed.

Do you have to drink lots on your plan?

Randi

beachdream
Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:53
Hi Randi...
I drink the normal 64 oz. of water per day. I know it seems like I don't eat that much...but I really do. To get the water in, I drink it with my meals (instead of my beloved sweet tea) (gosh, that was hard to give up!) I have also found that if I don't drink my water...I become (eeek!) constipated. (:rolleyes: did I say that?) (GULP!)

I am big boned too (at least that's what I keep telling myself), so you and I are aiming for around the same weight. WE CAN DO IT! We should set "mini-goals" for ourselves. Is your hubby on it too?

Take care and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!:yay:

randisue
Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:06
Beachdream,

My dh is SKINNY. He's actually stayed exactly the same weight for all our blessed marriage! He cannot related whatsoever to my eating problems. "If you fat, stop eating," he says. Even though he cannot related, he does lovingly support me.

I think it's great that people want to do mini goals. But my daily goals are going to be to just stick with the WOE. The weight will come off as it comes off. For me the mini goals will add extra pressure. I may mentally do goals as I go - like I want three pounds off by next week. But nothing more than that.

I sure will support other people in achieving their mini goals though. You've really done a good job thus far. 80 pounds is an awesome acheivement. You must feel so good about yourself. How long did it take you to do it?

Randi

beachdream
Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:47
Hi Randi...
I know what you mean about the hubby being skinny. My husband and I have been together for 17 years...and he looks EXACTLY the same! (althought he is starting to get gray hairs and wrinkles...tee hee!) He comes from a naturally skinny family...and my family...well...THEY'RE NOT!

I have been in my diet since 02/02...but I went off of it from 10/02 until 02/03. And I haven't been really focused until a couple of weeks ago...so I lost the 80 lbs from 02/02 until 10/02...but I have pretty much maintained it. At one time I did notice the number on the scale starting to move up...and it scared me...that's when I got back on it (somewhat)

My goal is to be at my goal by next February...but I'm not rushing it!

Take care!

randisue
Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:43
HI beachdream.

Well, I told you I don't like to set goals. But I will keep your stats in mind and try to chase you down to our goal.

I'm pretty happy. Woke up 3 pds lighter today. That's great for a first day of induction. I feel terrific and I think I'm in it for the long haul.

Have you read anything about Atkins, or did you just gather info from reading the posts? Have you heard/read about the new diet that's out there - something beach diet (Clinton's have lost weighton it.)

Randi

beachdream
Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:07
WOW! Congrats on the awesome weight loss!! 3lbs first day! Jeez...I better become more focused!:yay: (<---that supposed to be me exercising) (tee hee)

I haven't heard anything about a "beach" diet....mmmm, wonder if it has anything to do with crablegs dipped in butter? *****drifting away in thought***** (wiping drool from mouth) Ok...I am back now. Let me know what you find out about it though.

Take care!

randisue
Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:25
So how come you are beachdream? Are you an ocean lover or what?

beachdream
Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:48
Me? Ocean lover? YES YES YES YES YES!:yay:

But I love the mountains too. My best friend and I always said we were going to find us a mountain by a beach and live there...but as of yet, we haven't found a place...or had the money to even start looking...but ONE day! In fact, I wanted to get vanity plates for my car that said MTN/BCH (Mountain by the Beach) but my hubby said no one would figure it out, so I didn't do it...oh well!

But yes...I love everything about the ocean....sand, creatures...SEAFOOD...location...EVERYTHING.

You said you had moved to NC...where did you move from?

randisue
Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:32
Well, we just move to NC (Hickory) in August. Prior to that we had been living in Eau Claire, WI. I'm born and bred in MN. DH is from upstate NY. We both joined the service - me Army and him Navy just after high school.

I ended up returning to MN after vowing to never return (because I liked the beach and Mts, and MN has neither). DH was called to MN for ministry. During his stay there, his wife left him for another man. We met, fell in love and were married.

We're very happy in NC, though. It's the best of everything. Although we both admittedly miss the midwest winters. They were so beautiful. It wasn't always as cold as everyone thinks, it was often in the 20s and 30s which is really very nice.

We were recently working for Baptist Chidren's Homes of NC. Working in a group home for boys. Due to budget problems, our group home closed. But before we got laid off we spent 5 days at their beach cottage at Indian Beach (near Emerld Isle). It was so lovely. We walked on the beach each evening, and fished in the Bogue Sound during the day.

Too many people for us. We were glad to get home to the foothills and our little town of Taylorsville. But it was a fun trip.

Randi

KristyC
Sun, Jul-20-03, 20:15
Hi Randi. I love about 20 minutes from you in Newton, NC, about 5 miles from Hickory. :)

randisue
Mon, Jul-21-03, 11:05
Hi Kristy,

That's neat... I know right where Newton is. I go to the Dr. is Newton (Newton Med. Associates on Business 321).

How long have you been LCing? I love to hear a bit about who you are, etc., if you're willing to share.

I just re-started Atkins last Monday. Today I was up 1.5 pounds, so I'm at 6 lb loss for my first week. I fell good about it and am trying to be creative so I don't get bored.

My mom just started Atkins today. She lives in MN, where I was born and bred. I've told her about this site.

My DH and I moved to NC last August. We were working together for Baptist Children's Homes of NC till June 30 when we got permanently laid off due to financial cuts. So we are not both unemployed and seeking jobs. That is what allows me extra time on the computer each day.

Our kids are all grown, so we consider ourselves kidless. We are petless, too. We really like our regained freedom to come and go, as needed without any strings. We love God and are both involved in ministry.

We sure love our kids though - ages 24, 22, 20, 18. The oldest two are mine, and younger are his. My son (24) have given us a grandchild, whom I love dearly. She is now 1.5 yrs old. She was born out of wedlock and mom and dad are no longer together. But they are working things out so both spend time with the baby.
DH is from upstate NY, so we have a lot of ties to that state also.
We love NC very much, but we will miss the winters MN/WI are so famous for. They never bothered us, they were so beautiful that you kind of overlooked the cold. And you get used to the cold, just like you learn to get used to the heat here.

I'd love to hear from you when you have time.

KristyC
Mon, Jul-21-03, 13:18
Hi Randi! I know exactly where they med clinic is and have been there before, actually.

I am 33 and have 2 small children...Wyatt is 2 1/2 and Jackson is 1. I am a PT college professor and my husband is a parts/tool store manager and repairman in Charlotte. I have 2 Miniature Dachschunds that are CRAZY LOL!

If you miss the winters, take a trip up to our mountains this winter. Maybe that will help with the withdrawals. ;)

randisue
Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:03
Kristy,

I read your stats. Looks like you and I are close to same weight and goals. How tall are you?

How long have you been LCing?

KristyC
Mon, Jul-21-03, 17:50
I am only 5'3" tall :(. I just started Atkins on July 1st.

randisue
Wed, Jul-23-03, 11:38
Hi Kristy,
How is it going this week? I hope that you are doing well, sticking with the program.

Are you sticking with induction at this point, or have you raised your carb limit?

I will basically stay on induction except for those occaisions that I want to splurge. But I"m already finding this week (2nd week of induction) that my weight loss has slowed down a lot. About 1.2 pd per day. And I know from past experience that if I get started on the "sweets" that my weight loss comes to a grinding hault.

KristyC
Wed, Jul-23-03, 18:57
Hi again, Randi. I am going to stay with induction for about 6 months, probably...as long as I need to.

Yes, I'm doing well this week. I am up a pound, though, because it is that TOM :(. I hope to lose it by tomorrow morning. I haven't cheated once on the plan.

Oh, I almost forgot...my first week, I lost 10 pounds, but my second week, I only lost 2 pounds. The third week, I lost 4.5 pounds, so you will probably lose more next week. ;)

I have found that the Atkins bars slow my weight loss down and I had eaten them every morning the 2nd week, so when I cut them out the 3rd week, I lost more weight. I do eat a Carbolite Chocolate Bar for snack occasionally.

randisue
Thu, Jul-24-03, 10:20
Kristy,

That's interesting about the LC bars. I remember a lot of controversy about them last time if LCed. I have steered clear of them myself.

Well, I'm up .5 pound today and I'm pretty sure it's because I've added some sweets into my diet (pork rinds flavored with cinnamon and sweetener, and mock danish). So I"m going to try to just stick to the basic and refrain from daily use of sweetener.

We'll see how that works.

No matter what I feel terrific. Better than I've been in ages and I have so much energy.

I had a hysterectomy in February and that has made lots of difference also. I'd been sick for years. I'm like a new person now!!!

DH is headed your way today. He has a job interview in Newton. It pays pretty well and the man he talked to was quite interested in getting him out there. It would be great if one of us was working.... :-)

KristyC
Thu, Jul-24-03, 11:12
Who is his interview with? Let me know!

I'm glad you feel better since the surgery! That is great.

I avoid aspartame alltogether, but HAVE to have my one Diet Rite soda per day! :lol:

randisue
Thu, Jul-24-03, 15:34
DH isn't handy, but said that the interview went great. The manager liked him and said he'd hire him on the spot, but he was committed to interviewing a couple others. (That still doesn't mean he has the job, but it is promising.)

I saw a job today posted for an admin asst as CVCC. I've got a 4-yr degree and I'd like to do more than be someone's secretary. This sounded a little more advanced than that. So I will anxiously apply :-)

Like you, I kind of like to have one diet soda per day.I'm anxious to see if I start losing again after a couple of days of laying off the sweets. I sure will miss them though.

Do you have any ideas how to overcome the cravings?

KristyC
Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:24
I hope he gets the position! That would be great. :)

Good luck with your application as well! Let me know if you get the job.

I don't really crave the Diet Rites or sweets...I just don't like drinking every meal with water.

randisue
Thu, Jul-24-03, 19:36
HI Kristy,

This is the company DH interviewed with.
Prodelin (TriPoint Global)
He says they are on the south side of Newton.

KristyC
Fri, Jul-25-03, 20:35
Hmmm...I haven't heard of them! I should because I've lived here all of my life LOL! Anyway, did the interview go well? I hope so!

I am staying on-plan and doing well. I am stuck at 16.5 pounds down, though, due to that TOM and I hope to lose SOMETHING, ANYTHING tomorrow!

How are you doing?

randisue
Sat, Jul-26-03, 06:20
I must admit, I'm losing slowly. I had hoped to drop 15 pounds during induction, but that sure isn't going to happen. But that's okay I will have taken off 10-12.

I feel great and seem to have lots of energy. The thing I like the best about Atkins is that I don't have to starve or feel deprived.

I have a very odd ball question for you Kristy. Do you know anything about homlessness in Hickory or the organizations that are serving them?

I worked for a rescue mission prior to our move to NC. I've been praying about what is next for me, and I'm beginning to believe that God's going to have me start a ministry working with the poor and homeless: housing, feeding, educating, etc.

KristyC
Sat, Jul-26-03, 15:45
When are you going "off" of Induction? I will be on it for a while...probably a few months!

I don't know much about the organizations that serve the homeless, but my church in Newton has a soup kitchen right across from it where you can volunteer to prepare food, serve it, contribute canned goods, etc.

randisue
Mon, Jul-28-03, 06:58
Good morning Kristy,

Well, I have a confession. Someone took us "home to mother's" after church. The only LC food there was very dried out roast. I just ate what I wanted and then went back to my WOE when I got back home. It caused a 3lb jump and what a carbohydrate hangover today!!!

I really need to remember how it really feels afterward for the momentary pleasure of forbidden foods. I wanted to be strong and go without, but I kind of panic thinking about restricting my food intake. It's bizarre and I need to overcome it.

I'll be real strict today and go very LC and high fat.

The soup kitchen at your church sounds wonderful. I'm so glad to hear that you are serving the community around you. I will keep that in mind as I pray about what God wants me to do.

KristyC
Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:44
I'm sorry you had such bad physical results from cheating, but don't worry! You are back on plan! :) Keep it up!

KristyC
Tue, Jul-29-03, 13:34
How're you doing today, Randi? :)

randisue
Wed, Jul-30-03, 20:41
Hi Kristy,

I've been so busy that I haven't gotten out to the mssg board. We're doing well.

DH got a job offer today - working at a woodshop near Taylorsville. He's still waiting to hear about the one in Newton, and the man there really wants to hire him also. But DH prayerfully thinks the job closer to home is the one God has for him for now.

I'm happy to be unemployed for a little while longer. I'm pleased to be working on the house during the day. When that's done or almost done, I will be ready and willing to get to work. I am still earnestly seeking though, and will happily go to work whenever a job comes my way.

I still haven't recovered from my cheat this weekend. I now crave sweets and am stuck at 238. I guess it's still creeping down, but I haven't done very well for the last 1.5 weeks. But I feel great, so I can live with it.

How are you doing?

KristyC
Thu, Jul-31-03, 09:46
You'll recover! ;)

I'm doing well. I lost 2.5 pounds last week and I'm happy with that, although I get impatient waiting for that scale to MOVE!

Please pray for me this week! I have a potential job that is dependent on budget approval, so please pray I get this job. Thanks!

randisue
Thu, Jul-31-03, 10:04
I sure will pray. I didn't know that you were looking. Assumed you were a happy at home mom working as college professor PT.

Cheatfree 31 days! congratulations. I sure respect you for your self control in doing that.

Say, did you get hard hit during the storms a couple of days ago. I know Newton got slammed pretty hard. DH was there at the time, but he and the truck got home just fine. Everything bypassed us here in Taylorsville.

KristyC
Thu, Jul-31-03, 19:35
I am trying to teach full time now! :) I used to, and loved it.

Yes, we had some bad storms here! We had some large tree branches down.

randisue
Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:18
Kristy,

Glad to hear no serious damage to your family or home.

I have good news. DH started his job today. He's happy about it. I'm anxious to see him after work and hear how it went.

I received a call today about an HR assistant job I sent my resume in for. Turns out it was to a temp service. But the job is permanent. It's PT - 3 days per week, has full benefits and pays well. I'm quite excited about it. They are sending my resume to the employer and I should hear something by the middle of next week.

I'm thinking this would be a great job to have and it would give me flexibility to work on starting the ministry I've been thinking about. Came up with a name for it: New Life Christian Ministries. Even created a logo, worked on business plan, and lots of other misc. stuff. I was up working until about 4am. Back up before 8am, and I feel great!! I'm just so excited about God and His goodness toward us.

Keep me posted about your job. I certainly will pray for you.

I'm still losing. Not fast but the scale keeps moving downward. Hit 237 today.

DD and friends will be in the area for softball world series the end of August. She plays ball with an old co-worker of mine. I'm about 50 pounds heavier than she last saw me. So I'd sure like to get another 20 off before I see her - that's vein, I know!! :-) But a good motivator.

KristyC
Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:09
Hi Randi! I hope your dh likes his new job. Did he end up taking the one in Newton instead of the one in Taylorsville?

I hope you also get your HR job. That sounds like a good opportunity!

Good for you for working on your new organization! That is something to admire. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Yes, that IS a good motivator. How old is she?

randisue
Fri, Aug-01-03, 20:22
Kristy:

HD took the job in Taylorsville. But the man in Newton liked him so well he called him back today to say he will still hire him if anything changes with this job. He wanted to make him a supervisor. It was quite a compliment.

DD is 22. I miss her a lot. We were/are very close. My whole family is close, so it's hard on all of us to be apart. I'm so thankful for cell phones with free evening and weekend minutes. I talk for hours every weekend!!

KristyC
Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:46
I'm sure you miss her very much! I am very close with my family, too. My siblings are spread out over this state and in SC, so I miss them very much, too.

I had a really busy day today! Went grocery shopping and then out to lunch with my sister. I had a grilled chicken breast with swiss cheese and bacon on top! YUM!! It was great. I also had a salad with bleu cheese dressing.

randisue
Sat, Aug-02-03, 22:32
great, glad to hear you had a nice day.

I always get nervous when I think about eating out. I'm used to being a glutton and also eating whatever sounds good at the time.

I've been feeling a little bored with my eating. Since we've both been unemployed we're watching our spending. So no steak and fun foods like I'm used to - lots of ground beef, tuna, salads, and eggs. I miss the steaks the most.

KristyC
Sun, Aug-03-03, 14:21
I know what you mean, Randi! We don't get to eat steaks much, either, due to financial constraints right now. We eat a lot of chicken, tuna, ground beef, canned green beans, salad, etc. I miss thos yummy steaks, too!

Hope you're having a nice Sunday!

smchan
Sun, Aug-03-03, 19:34
My fellow North Carolinians might find this thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=127754) interesting.

Sam

randisue
Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:26
smchan: checked out the link. thanks. Your welcome to pop in here once in a while and say Hi. What city are you from?

randisue
Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:30
Kristy,

Well despite my boredom with the foods, I had a whoosh this weekend. Dropped 2 pounds overnight, and I've been steadily (slowly) dropping.

I'm at 234. That's 12 pounds since starting Atkins and another 4 just prior to my start. I'm excited to be approaching my first 20 pound mark!!

I am trying to eat less sweets. I think that helps all around. I read some posts over the weekend and one young girl said she cut out all sweets, even having her one can of diet sode per day. This accelerated her weight loss significantly.

What do you think?

smchan
Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:58
What city are you from?

I live in Apex now which is just outside of Raleigh. I'm formerly from Murphy and went to school in Winston-Salem.

Sam

KristyC
Mon, Aug-04-03, 10:31
Hi Sam! Welcome! Both Randi and I live in the Hickory, NC area. Feel free to join in!

Randi,

Congrats on your "whoosh". I'm still waiting on one! I have to have my one Diet Rite per day or I will DIE LOL, but I might try to cut that out. I have not eaten any bars this weekend and lost back a pound I had gained. I am not eating any bars today, either, so I am hoping to drop a pound for tomorrow for my "official" weigh-in. My weight loss has slowed this week for some reason, but I think that is normal at this stage (I'm in my 5th week of Atkins).

randisue
Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:20
HI Sam,

Kristy and I are from the Hickory area. I'm actually happily living on 4.5 acres in the country outside of Taylorsville (N of Stateville and Hickory). DH and I transplanted here last August. Spent 8-9 months renting on Lookout Lake, then bought our home in May.

We really like NC. In fact today I was outside starting a compost pile (new for me). I was on the acreage behind the house. Found beautiful wild flowers that look like they should be moved and growing on a trellis. And on the garage I saw one of the largest winged bugs I've ever seen. So I had to run inside and get the digital camera. Anyway.... NC has so much beauty. In the midwest trees and shrubs don't bloom all summer - just in the Spring. Every time I turn around something new if blooming, it's so wonderful to watch.

I see you have a little one - your first??? Boy or girl? The pic is really cute. I hope your a good dad!!

smchan
Mon, Aug-04-03, 11:35
I see you have a little one - your first??? Boy or girl? The pic is really cute. I hope your a good dad!!

The picture is a bit dated, but that's my first son. His name is Noah, and that's from his first trip to Disney World when he was 5 months old. (Not that he's spoiled or anything.)
:)

Sam

dblair
Tue, Aug-05-03, 07:31
The "beach" you are talking about is THE SOUTH BEACH DIET. It is similar to Atkins for the first two weeks, and then it becomes more liberal allowing more fruit and some whole grains.

randisue
Tue, Aug-05-03, 08:53
Hi Dblair:

I see that you are near the Charlotte area. You guys have really been getting hit with the storms. Watching the news has really been interesting these days. How have you fared??

How long have you been "beaching"? Have you ever done Atkins?

KristyC
Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:10
How's it going, Randi? Let me know. Doing fine here. I've been enjoying the weather here!

beachdream
Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:44
Hi Everyone!

I have been "gone" a while...I have been a bad bad girl! (And the scales show it too!)

I am going to the grocery store today to get all my "goodies". It is TOTALLY amazing what a difference carbs do to your body! My skin looks older, my hair seems drier, I get tired more easily...the whole 9 yards. (Although!! I was out yesterday with my 12 year old daughter and a lady asked if she was my daughter, I said yes (thought it was odd though)...THEN she said, you look just alike...you could pass for sisters!)

(Hey! Compliments like that are rare (for me at least)...so I had to share it with...EVERYBODY!!) (OK OK...my daughter didn't like it too well)

Sam, where did you go to high school at in Winston-Salem? I have lived in and around Winston all of my life and I went to North Forsyth, class of (gulp) 1985.

Take care!!

smchan
Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:29
Sam, where did you go to high school at in Winston-Salem? I have lived in and around Winston all of my life and I went to North Forsyth, class of (gulp) 1985.

I went to college in Winston; not high school. Sorry the confusion. I was at Wake Forest from 1985 until 1989. I also graduated from high school in '85, so I reckon we're probably the same age. :)

Sam

beachdream
Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:35
Hi Sam...

So you were one of those Demon Deacons that me and my girlfriends use to "case" the campus to meet?? (LOL) Of course by the time you got to Winston, I was much more mature and didn't do such foolish things.

:angel:

Well, maybe not as often..lol.

I just got back from the grocery store and I have all of my goodies. (Crab Legs anyone???) I know I am going to have a headache tomorrow since I have practically lived on carbs for about 2 weeks now...so I have my Motrin ready.

Take care and good luck everyone.

smchan
Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:45
Hi Sam...

So you were one of those Demon Deacons that me and my girlfriends use to "case" the campus to meet?? (LOL) Of course by the time you got to Winston, I was much more mature and didn't do such foolish things.

LOL! Though I doubt I was a target of your affections, they certainly would've been welcomed. :)

I do recall taking one young lady, a local high school student in Winston, to ACC basketball games when I was a freshman. Can't even remember her name now, but I know she lived just off the old I-40 on the way to Kernersville.

I also found myself hanging around Salem a fair bit as well. :)

Sam

beachdream
Sun, Aug-10-03, 11:54
Hi Sam...

You are too funny. I have added my picture (I am the one on the right) (duh??) (ok, the lady's comment yesterday has really went to my head) (lol) (Randi, you need to add yours too)

Have you been by the campus recently? It has really changed. I use to use it as a "cut through", but when they extended Silas Creek, I stopped going thru there.

My daughter went to basketball camp there a couple of years ago...and gosh did I feel old. I was showing her around the campus...and she asked how I knew so much about it. I said, er, libraries dear...the libraries...yeah, that's it. (Thinking to myself....and here are where the football players' dorms are) (tee hee)

Take care!

KristyC
Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:12
My sister went to Duke, but I like the Deacons, too. ;)

beachdream
Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:38
Hi Kristy...

(I won't tell Sam that I bleed Carolina Blue), but I like Duke too. (I have to pull for SOMEONE'S basketball team...since Carolina is doing so awful) But heck...I like everybody...pretty much.

Kristy, I am really proud of you for not cheating on your diet...I only hope I can stick to it as good as you have. Are you exercising any? I am walking 2 miles a day (Lord knows how much I would have gained if I hadn't!!), but I haven't been doing any weights or any other type of cardio's. Is your hubby on it too? Sam is your wife? I was "cursed" with a hubby who has never had a weight problem...he is still the same size as he was right after high school..grrrrrrr. He says I look the same too....(hum...I was 145 lbs, size 8, drove a little red sports car.....now I am...well...) (we'll let him keep those rose colored glasses on for a little while longer) (tee hee)

Take care....

(some reason I want crab legs and butter....Wait! is that legal???) (oh ya!!)

:lol:

beachdream
Sun, Aug-10-03, 12:42
I just noticed...my hair looks green in my picture....dang chlorine! (just kidding!) (*sniff...unfortunately...everyone who knows me...knows I am a "true" blonde)

:wiggle:

beachdream
Sun, Aug-10-03, 13:19
Hey everyone...I got this email the other day...and I just read it. It has a link to a webpage that has recipes...I thought I'd share.

http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?article_id=8057&code=24045

smchan
Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:25
(I won't tell Sam that I bleed Carolina Blue), but I like Duke too. (I have to pull for SOMEONE'S basketball team...since Carolina is doing so awful) But heck...I like everybody...pretty much.

Good gravy, not another fair weather tar heel fan. <sheesh> :rolleyes:

That likes Duke to boot! Now that beats all I ever heard. :nono:

I drop by Wake probably once a year or so. My last visit was May when I was in town for the North Carolina Home Educators conference. In fact, that was my last week before I started doing Atkins, so I enjoyed everthing that was gastronomically naughty at The Village Tavern and Twin Cities Chophouse. Mmmm.... Oh yeah, and the french toast from The Kopper Kettle. Mmmm....

OK, enough of that. I'm 35lbs lighter since then and loving it. My wife is not doing Atkins with me. She's more of the low-fat and exercise kind and does well at it when she puts her mind to it.

Sam
PS A Duke lovin' Carolina fan. Don't that beat all? :lol:

smchan
Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:25
BTW, your hair looks fine. In fact, I was kinda diggin' it because it's so long. :thup:

Sam

beachdream
Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:47
OMG...DID YOU SAY VILLAGE TAVERN AND TWIN CITY CHOP HOUSE??? OK OK...I know this is a diet website...so I will try to control myself...BUT...I wonder how many carbs are in the crab dip??? (without the toast) *fainting!

beachdream
Sun, Aug-10-03, 20:57
BTW Sam....I had my last supper(s) today also...I won't even go into detail.

Let me just say...if I was in Florida, laying on the beach, they would call SeaWorld thinking Shamu had escaped and was beached. Good thing I don't have a black and white bathing suit...wait..er, I do. *throwing away bathing suit

:help:

randisue
Mon, Aug-11-03, 06:24
Good morning everyone,

You've all got me laughing as I catch up on the posts. I did feel a bit of an outsider since I'm only a NC transplant and not into sports, but it was fun to read your conversations about it.

I've been very busy and have been on this board in a limited fashion.

Have been reading the thread about high carb days/meals. Sounded so good that I went "HOG" wild for 24 hours last Wed PM to Thu PM. Scale jumped 7 pounds and I'm still not back to where I started. Weighed in at 236.5 this AM - bummer.

I will be involved in weekly luncheon meetings. I'm really nervous about how to handled it. It's a prayer group with local pastors and ministry leaders at a ministry where the focus is feeding the poor. I'm thinking it's going to be all high carb. My only thought at this point is to eat on my way, then abstain or eat whatever might be legal. I'm new to the group and sure don't want to start on the wrong foot, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either!! Any ideas....

Hey beach.. Your pic is great. You and you DD really could pass for sisters from what I can see.

beachdream
Mon, Aug-11-03, 07:33
Hi Randi...

Regarding the luncheon...in my opinion...it's not what you do once in a while...it's what you do the majority of the time. And I don't blame you...I wouldn't want to start off on the wrong foot either...so I would just go with the flow. (In my momma's words...eat what's put before you and ask no questions) (lol) I would eat lunch in moderation and then just REALLY (meant to sound like Dr Evil from Austin Powers) watch what you eat the rest of the time. The way I look at it...5 meals didn't make me overweight...so 5 meals won't keep me over weight.

(ok ok...I am the ETERNAL optimist...but HEY! Some one has to be!)

BTW...thanks for the comment on my pic. It was taken about 2 weeks ago...one of the afternoons when it wasn't raining BELIEVE IT OR NOT! :) I will pass your comment to my daughter about us looking like sisters...(gosh I love it) (but my goodness how she must hate it!!!)

Take care...and keep us posted.

KristyC
Mon, Aug-11-03, 18:40
Hey beachdream! :) I do not do any weights. I walk for exercise at this point. I will join a gym after I've lost about 50 pounds. I don't feel like stepping into a gym at any higher weight than that LOL!

beachdream
Mon, Aug-11-03, 19:46
Hey Kristy...

I don't blame you about the gym thingy. Whenever I have joined a gym, they seem to be pick up spots...or a place that I just didn't seem to fit in. I am walking too, about 2 miles a day...somedays more, somedays less.

I had planned to start my diet today...but around lunch time..I caved in. But I will do it tomorrow.

I need to focus....*-*

I guess I need to set mini-goals like you, or do a journal like sam....or DO SOMETHING!!

take care!

randisue
Tue, Aug-12-03, 05:52
Hi guys,

Well I'm still sticking at 236#. It's really frustrating since it's up 2# from close to one week ago. I've decided I will not cheat (if at all possible) today or Saturday.

I'm starting to think that I may be having too much splenda in a day. This can can stalls in me. I've been enjoying the cinnamon/sweetened pork rinds. Between 3 and 5 packets go into making that, plus I usually have one diet soda per day. So, I'm cutting out the diet soda!!....just kidding. I will stop using the sweetener on a regular basis and at such high quantities. I've noticed it does make my stomach hurt, too.

Hopefully I will have good things to report soon.
You guys have wonderful day.

Please say a little prayer for me aa I head off to meetings with ministry leaders today. Thanks for your support.

beachdream
Tue, Aug-12-03, 06:03
Randi...

How are you doing with your water? Are you drinking at least 8 glasses a day. I have found that drinking water helps a lot. The way I look at it is...your body is burning all this fat, and you need to "flush" it out of your system...and of course, water is the best way to do that.

Good Luck!

KristyC
Tue, Aug-12-03, 13:42
Good luck, Randi! I hope your group meeting goes well. :)

beachdream
Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:47
Hey...
Ya'll want to know what I just realized??? I have been with my husband for 17 years....and even though he might have had an idea of how much I weighed before I started my diet (which he cherished his life, so he NEVER mentioned it)...you guys know my WEIGHT!!!

Luckily...he doesn't know my stage..., er, screen name...so he will NEVER know!! (tee hee) (Well, that is, unless he happens to stumble upon this thead and see my stats)

:rolleyes:

No worries though...he has to figure out how to turn the computer on FIRST. (Poor fella...he should have been Amish...he says we are crazy to trust these machines)

randisue
Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:08
HI y'all (did that sound southern or midwestern?)
I'm living in N.C., but I'm set on keeping my midwestern accent - you betcha, by golly!!

Today went very well, the food thing turned out not to be an issue thanks to arriving late!! And I received a lot of valuable information. I still don't have all the answers, but I have more than I did before my meetings - so I'm heading in the right direction.

Yes, beachdream, I drink ample water. I love water and carry my big 42 oz "cup" with me all day. I also drink 1-3 cups of coffee in the AM, and usually 1 diet soda per day.

I really think my hangup is the Splenda. So tonight I'm going to make Mock Danish for my snack. That uses just 1 pkt. I'll try to get away from even that, but I'm still pretty hooked on "my sweets."

Beachdream it's great to have you here. You have such a fun way of expressing yourself. You are, I think, what my x-mother-in-law used to call "a pistol." I'm sure you spice up things everywhere you go!! '-)

Kristy: I was informed about a soup kitchen in Newton called The Corner Table. Have you heard of it?? Didn't you say you were involved with something out there?

KristyC
Tue, Aug-12-03, 20:18
Yes! That is the one across from my church that I mentioned before, Randi! :) :) :)

Beachdream, you crack me up!

randisue
Wed, Aug-13-03, 10:15
A gal also from Newton presented her ministry to the group. She heads King's Kids Education Program. They are on 213 N College Ave. Sounds like they are doing fantastic things for children as very low cost. They are also trying to develop a Teen Center. I know that type of thing is always needed in a community.

beachdream
Wed, Aug-13-03, 17:05
Hey ya'll....

I got on the scales this morning...I was *focused*....I could hear the "Rocky" theme playing as I was walking in the bathroom. **FOCUS FOCUS...I CAN DO IT!!** I haven't weighed since my surgery (7 weeks ago)...I noticed my shorts were getting a little tighter...but I thought maybe I was just bloated...YEAH YEAH...BLOATED...12 lbs BLOATED.

I gained 12 friggin pounds!! (friggin??...dang, I need to quit hanging out with New Yawkers)

I would say to myself..."How the he..heck did I do that???" But I know how.

*bowing head.

Dang you Krispy Kreme and Dewey's Bakery!! (zzzzzaaaaaaaaaappppp) (putting a curse on them!!)

BUT....I started my diet today...and I haven't cheated once...ok ok...I really don't know exactly how many carbs I have had...but I don't think I have gone over.

DIET FAIRY...TAKE ME AWAY!!!!

randisue
Thu, Aug-14-03, 06:47
Beachdream,

I know how hard and frustrating it can be to see the scale going in the wrong direction! I can only tell you of my own struggles. Use the frustration in a positive way. Commit yourself to losing that weight.

I went to EDiets today and read some of the ATkins success stories. They really encouraged me and I feel more committed to doing everything right. I want to be a success story (for myself and my family). I want to be the one proud to say I lost 90 lbs and by God's grace I am going to keep them off.

You really should, at least for a week or two, count your carbs. (Never thought I'd hear myself saying that!). I took the advice of so many and finally went out to FitDay and entered my carbs faithfully for a couple of weeks. It's so easy to fool ourselves that we are keeping under 20 c./day when we are really at 25-30 c. or more. If you don't do induction as directed, you will just experience more frustration. We want you to experience great success. We will all be here to encourage you.

So, you go girl!!!

KristyC
Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:13
Don't get discouraged, beachdream! You can do this!

Randi, there is a new really GREAT natural food store that sells Atkins products (the full line) in Hickory on Hwy. 127 in the Dairy Queen shopping center. I just went there the other day and bought $100 worth of Atkins stuff! EEK!

beachdream
Thu, Aug-14-03, 19:21
Hey Everyone!!!

I have lost 2 lbs since yesterday!!! WOO HOO!!
I haven't cheated at all today...although, I did have a chunk of carbs at lunch. (had a shrimp fajita quesadilla...made with a low carb tortilla (2.5 g))

I am so proud!! *happy dance*

I can't get discouraged...*sniff...I have you guys!! (group hug)
:bhug:

KristyC
Fri, Aug-15-03, 09:30
Good for you! That is awesome! :)

Bon
Fri, Aug-15-03, 12:35
Well, not really neighbors, but fellow North Carolinians... :wave:

Hi there everyone! I'm a former Hickory-area resident. Moved there from CT back in 1993. Moved around a bit from '93 - '98, living in Hildebran, Hickory, Connelly Springs, and Vale. Cost of living was way better than in CT. Lost my job in '98 and DH and I moved east to Cumberland County. Wasn't close enuff to the beach for me, :cool: so after I graduated from college last year, we moved AGAIN... this time to the Wilmington area. Not going anywhere from here... (we'd be in the water if we did, lol) exactly where we wanted to be all along.

Western NC never really felt like home to me right from the start. I never felt like I belonged there. Sometimes felt like the native residents resented all of us "yankees" moving into their territory. Plus, lots of jobs going south, to Mexico, like mine did. I missed the beach terribly, having lived very close to the CT coast.

Anywho, glad I found this post and got a chance to say HI! Happy LCing!

Smiles

beachdream
Fri, Aug-15-03, 12:42
Hi Bon!!!
I can see already we have something in common....THE BEACH!! My goodness! I would move there if I could lose 215 pounds...but he's a pretty good hubby, so I'll keep him around for a while. ;)

Welcome to the group...and we welcome yankee transplants here! (some of my best friends are New Yawkers)

Good Luck! And keep us posted as to how it is going!

randisue
Fri, Aug-15-03, 14:38
Hi 'ya all!

Kristy: Great news on the Atkins stuff. Let me know how it all works out. I won't be buying any specialty stuff until I have some income coming into the house!

Beachdream: Congrats on being "such a good girl." We all knew you could do it. I hope this gave you the umph to keep on without cheating. Keep us posted as to the progress.

Bon: Welcome. I guess everyone has their loves. That's what makes life interesting. You are the complete oppose of me and DH. We love to visit the ocean, but love the foothills. We're living just outside of Taylorsville, and we could be happier.

I'm struggling here, girls. I've gotten hooked on the sweet taste of splenda. So I'm eating too much of it. I do fine all day, then want sweets at night. It's a terrible habit: sweets and TV. I'm an addict!!

I brought home chicken from Lowes tonight. Our 12th anniv is tomorrow and Lemon Pepper chicken sounded good. Got DH his favorite peach pie, too. I can easily leave that alone.

However, tomorrow I'm eating McDonalds. We're going to see a young friend of ours. Hopefully taking him to lunch. And I will enjoy!

randisue
Fri, Aug-15-03, 14:52
Kristy: Beachdream talked about low carb tortillas (2.5 c). Do you know where I can get something like that in Hickory? The whole wheat ones are like 9 c. and that's way too much.

Beachdream: Where do you buy your tortillas?

beachdream
Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:09
Well guys...here's the tortilla update.....
:cry:
I thought that 2.5 seemed awful low....I did my math wrong. On the back of the package it only says "10% of RDA" (which it says 250) I carried my decimal in the wrong place..it is ACTUALLY 25 GRAMS!!! I am surprised I lost anything at all yesterday!! (And I only figured this out after my lunch today...which also included a tortilla!

Sorry about the confusion, but I have been very disciplined today (other than what we will now refer to as the "tortilla incident". (And amazingly NOT hungry)

Question, the family is wanting Buffalo Wings and Pizza tonight. I know I can't have the pizza...but what about Buffalo Wings? (they aren't breaded...they are just deep fried and covered in hot sauce) They are ok...aren't they???

Keep up the good work everyone!!

beachdream
Fri, Aug-15-03, 15:11
Oh *sniff....in answer to your question RandiSu....I buy my tortillas (all 25 grams of them) at Lowe's

Bon
Sat, Aug-16-03, 05:11
Hey Ladies,

I bought some tortillas at a local health food store. 11 g carbs minus 8 g fiber = only 3 g carbs per tortilla. They come in assorted flavors, too, like herb garlic, onion and plain. I also bought Atkins Ketch-a-tomato, which is a sugar-free ketchup... yummm! :yum:

These foods aren't cheap, but I use them sparingly. Hope you find a good health food place so you can avoid those nasty 25 g carb tortilla versions. Keep fighting the good fight! :p

beachdream
Sat, Aug-16-03, 06:34
Question...
I think I have been doing my "figuring" all wrong. When we figure up our carbs, do we subtract our fiber grams from our total Carb grams and that's what gives us our correct value? (looking at Bon's last post)

Thanks!

(btw...got on the scales this morning...dropped another lb...so 4 lbs in 3 days!)

Bon
Sat, Aug-16-03, 07:36
:cheer: Congrats on the weight loss Beach!! :cheer:

According to the DANDR book, we should count "net carbs", which is total carbs minus fiber and/or sugar alcohol carbs. You should be careful though, because some companies already subtract it, which would make the total carbs actual. I try to exclusively buy certain products like that at health stores that carry Atkins and other low-carb products, since I know I'm getting honest facts on the label. Just be aware that these foods are expensive... so use sparingly. Those tortillas last forever in the fridge...

beachdream
Sat, Aug-16-03, 07:44
Thanks Bon!!
I am going to Wellspring Whole Foods today (that's our health food store). I will look for the low-carb tortilas. On other sites, I have seen where there is a tortilla chip CarbSense that is sold at Wal-Mart ($1.99 per bag). I am going there today to see if I can find them.

Isn't it awful...it is so much more expensive to eat healthy!

(Thanks for the cheers btw. Last night I felt like I was cheating. I had a TON of buffalo wings, celery, blue cheese dressing and the topping off of a pepperoni pizza) (mmmmmmmmmmmm!) I feel like I have been given a credit card with no limit and have been told I don't have to pay the bill! WOOOO HOOOO!

beachdream
Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:05
Hey guys...
Just got back from the store. I was in the soft drink aisle and was looking at the diet drinks to see which one's didn't have aspartame in them. Along with Diet Rite, Diet Cheerwine is made with the same stuff Splenda is made of (sucralose). I didn't check many of the drinks, because I felt like all Pepsi and Coke products would have the same sweetener.

Just thought I would pass this along.

(Also, I posted this as a thread, but I just got back from the health food store) (bought some of the tortilla's you were talking about Bon)...and I bought the BEST dessert! It's made by Desserts of Distinction, it is a No Sugar Added Cheesecake that ONLY HAS 2 EFFECTIVE carbs!!

While I was in the health food store, I was talking to a couple of people and they quickly pointed out that I was going by the "old" Dr Atkins book. (They were giving me the formula's that you gave me Bon.) I want to make sure I am doing this right....I can have 20 effective carbs per day...right??

Well, off to Wal-Mart to buy some Indulge Bars (another 2 carber....I think I have died and gone to heaven ya'll)

KristyC
Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:19
Yes, you can have 20 net carbs per day, beach! :)

BON: I got my BA and MA in English from UNC-Wilmington...lived there for 8 years.

beachdream
Sat, Aug-16-03, 14:27
Hi kristy....
OK...blonde here ya know...
Is that 20 net (effective) carbs?

randisue
Sat, Aug-16-03, 17:31
HI ladies,

Beachdream: You are still on Induction - I'd hesitate before running out and getting all the bars, desserts, etc. They may set you back. I've heard so many people complain that they give them problems. I'd at least wait your two weeks. On induction you are supposed to stick primarily to the meat, salad, vegatables.

Bon: Thanks for the info on the tortillas. I looked at Harris Teeter tonight. I asked one of the stock boys if they carried LC tortillas and he looked at me like I was crazy. He said What?? I said, just tell me where the tortillas are, that's okay. Anyway....they had 19 carbs, 3 gr fiber. But a net of 16 c is still way too high for me. So I passed.

You girls will be proud of me. It's my anniversary today. We treated a young friend of ours to McDonalds for lunch. I thought I was going to carb out - but I didn't. Had the meat from dbl cheeseburger, side salad and diet soda. I'm so proud of myself.

Then got tempted to eat dinner out and go crazy, but instead grabbed London broil from Harris Teeter. Yaaaaahhhh! I hope the whoosh fairy looks favorably upon me tonight!!! I'm really proud of myself.

beachdream
Sat, Aug-16-03, 17:36
Yeah, I know RandiSu...*sniff....but it was SOOOOO good!

KristyC
Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:03
Yes, beach LOL! That is 20 net (effective) carbs. TEE HEE! I am assuming you mean effective as being those that "count" (after deducting fiber, sugar alcohols, etc. from total carbs).

KristyC
Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:04
Randi, I AM very proud of you. When I go to McDonalds, that is what I get, minus the diet soda. I can't tolerate Nutrasweet anymore.

beachdream
Sat, Aug-16-03, 18:18
Hey everyone...wouldn't it be cool if we could all meet in person some where??? I am willing to drive (I am out of work until the 25th) We don't have to do it now...but I was just thinking.

Now Bon....anytime you need an associate seashell collector...I would be more than happy to assist!!

:hyper:

randisue
Sun, Aug-17-03, 05:12
Beachdream: You are always so funny. I think we have a great little group. I'd definitely be up to everyone meeting providing the drive isn't too far. I'm unemployed and penniless (literally).

It does really help to have your pictures by your names. I keep thinking I need to grab the digital and get my mug out there, too.

Anyway, I'm open to having an LC get together.

I didn't cheat yesterday, but I'm still eating sweetener. Had lots yesterday, several diet sodas, my veggies, eggs, cheese. I'm up .5 pd today. It's frustrating. I keep telling myself that I have to quit the sweetener, but I'm like a junkie.

Have you ever heard of anyone that gets stomach or abdominal pains from sweeteners. DH and I are concerned. I've had abdominal pains for over 2 weeks. They seem to bother most at night. When I get up in theAM, I'm very tender and sore. I have killer backache with it, too. But as I get up and move around it goes away.....any thoughts?

Bon
Sun, Aug-17-03, 14:08
Hiya ladies,

Hey Beach: Yes, from my understanding you can have 20 net carbs per day... but be sure to follow the induction rules about eating only certain foods. Those tortillas aren't induction, but are okay if you're past that. Seashells??? You should see my house. I've been collecting them years before I moved here... now they're just easier to get. My home decor focuses on seashells and palm trees. You love the beach WAY too much to be so far away... I predict you'll eventually make tracks this way. I'm sure you'll be able to talk the family into it.

Hey RandiSue: The last thing I ate at Mickey D's was scrambled eggs and bacon, UGH!! :Puke: Only thing I really liked there was their fries... I think they have the best of all the take-out places. I'm not even tempted to stop there anymore, lol. About sweeteners... which ones are you using? I get cramping and gas from eating sugar-free chocolates... so I've cut WAY back. I still indulge in some ice cream, since it doesn't seem to affect me the same way. You may want to try cutting back on some of your dairy, especially if you never ate much dairy prior to going LC. Hope you feel better soon...

Hey Kristy: Soooo, you're a former Wilmingtonian... do you miss it here? I work at Cape Fear Community College, but have never been on the UNCW campus. If I ever decided to go for my BA, that is where I'll be.

Well ladies, time for dinner. I'm trying to get caught up on all my e-mails since our cable was out since yesterday due to storms. Have a great week all... look forward to chatting again!

linda-NC
Mon, Aug-18-03, 07:22
Good Morning y'all! Can I join in? Have been a lurker for a while now and have enjoyed reading your posts. I live in Robeson County between Fayetteville and the SC line. Born & bred in NC. Have a husband of 32 years, 2 elderly dachs & 2 cats (rescued).

Had to retire early from my profession due to some health problems in 2000, and found I was diabetic in January this year. Started on a diabetic diet then + meds, but after several months of that, my BS was not as low as it should have been in spite of losing 50 pounds, so I put myself on a low carb diet, somewhere between Atkins & Sugar Busters. My weight loss stopped at that point, but my BS is way down...yipee! I see my provider next week and will see what she wants me to do...lose more weight or keep my BS down...lol. I have been heavy all my life, so skinny would be a lifestyle I would have to adjust to. Right now I am concentrating on keeping my blood sugar down.

For breakfast this morning I had...2 slices bacon, 2 eggs, 1 WW tortilla & 2 cups of coffee with equal. The tortilla is 19 gr. carbs, but doesn't bother my BS too much.

For lunch, will probably be a dish of "Seafood Salad" that I get from Wallyworld. A container of that is $1.98 and I get approx. 4-5 servings out of it. 1/2 cup serving is 7 carbs.

Well y'all have a great day!
Linda

beachdream
Mon, Aug-18-03, 07:33
Hi Linda...
Welcome aboard...(silly girl...of course you can join in)

Best of luck! and keep us posted!

KristyC
Mon, Aug-18-03, 13:35
Welcome, Linda!

I would love to meet up with everyone. That would be great! :)

Bon: What do you do at Cape Fear?

Randi: Yes, I have heard that too much sweetener CAN cause stomach problems. You may want to try to cut back gradually.

Bon
Mon, Aug-18-03, 17:11
Welcome Linda! We're happy to have you here! We lived in Roseboro before moving to the coast, which borders Cumberland, Bladen, and Sampson counties. Went to college in Fayetteville, so met lots of folks from your part of NC.

UGH, Monday! Only good part about it is that I'm finally home. I'm going to miss our summer hours, which was 9 hours M-Th, and half day on Fridays. Friday was that beacon of light for me... :(

Beachdream -- Yes, would love to meet ya'll too... need some shells?

Poor RandiSue is so FAR though... I have a friend in Catawba (the town) that I will be visiting some time before the end of the year... hopefully... but not looking forward to that LONG drive west.

Kristy -- I'm an administrative assistant for the Basic Skills Dept. of Continuing Ed. Our programs are ABE/GED, Compensatory Ed., ESL, and Adult High School. I am the person that registers all the classes, audits all of the paperwork, and soooo much more, lol.

So, what do you ladies do during the day? Do you work, play... are you domestic goddesses?? (Aren't we all???). I'm married and have a grown married daughter who is married to a fine US Marine. We're a little over an hour away from them... they are also on the coast, but further north.

Well, that time again... no, not dinner, but get comfy time. Hope you all have a great evening. :wave:

beachdream
Mon, Aug-18-03, 17:41
Hi Everyone...

Bon in answer to your question...I work in the corporate office for a sports apparel company. I am married (for 14 years) and have a precious 12 year old daughter. (That is her in the picture with me) I have 4 dogs (not by choice) and I live out deeeeep in the country. I don't really have a hobby (other than playing on the computer)...but as we have mentioned before...I LOVE THE BEACH. My husband races go-karts and is gone most weekends. (Although, if you talk to him, he says he doesn't race every weekend) So me and my daughter have a lot of bonding time.

I have been out of work since June 19 due to surgery from a car accident in April. (Back surgery)...BUT....I go back to work next Monday. (THANK GOODNESS!) (I could NEVER be a stay at home mom....I would go nuts)

ok...that's the "skinny" on me.

KristyC
Mon, Aug-18-03, 19:40
I am a college professor...I teach English comp., professional writing, and literature. I begin the Fall semester this Thursday! I have 2 beautiful children...Wyatt is almost 3 and Jackson is 14 months. They are my joy!!! I am married to a wonderful husband, Brent, and he is a former Marine. He was stationed at Camp Lejeune and we met while he was visiting friends in Wilmington in May of 1996. He still misses the Marine Corps! He is now a power tool parts store manager and service person. :)

randisue
Mon, Aug-18-03, 21:23
It's me - I was bad today. My tummy hurt so I got an ice cream cone - a big one. Then since I ate the ice cream cone I also had a piece of DH's peach pie. And then I figured what's it matter and went on the prowl. I ate most of a can of Pringle chips and followed it up with a granola bar thingie.

I'm terrible~!!~
I hate to see what the scale says tomorrow.
I'm meeting my DD's whole softball team at the world series in Lexington, SC in two weeks. And I think they are just going to think I'm a fat blob!

Wah, wah, wah, I'm just getting it all out. I'm frustrated because the scales haven't moved in a couple weeks. It's easy to GIVE advice, but much harder to FOLLOW your own!

linda-NC
Tue, Aug-19-03, 06:03
Beach, Kristy, Bon...thanks for the welcome. Sitting here with my first cup of coffee. The house is asleep and I love the early morning hours.

When I worked, I was a registered radiologic technologist at the hospital here. I mainly did x-rays of emergency patients. Then my knee joints went bad and my doctor said I was too young to have the replacements and only to be on my feet approx 1 hour a day. So I had to retire. That was 3 years ago. I enjoy staying home which is something I always wanted to do when I worked.

For hobbies...my computer, genealogy, gardening, my koi pond. Still love to read, but don't do as much of it as I used to. I have a website, but it only deals with genealogy.

On this low-carb diet, I have a problem. :confused: Not with the food or even cheating...but with portion control. Anyone got any suggestions to help with that?

You girls have a great day!
Linda

beachdream
Tue, Aug-19-03, 06:37
Hi Linda,

I have a question (eek, not about the diet though). I have a pond (one of those molded ones like you buy at Lowes Hardware. I keep goldfish in there...but when I have Koi or any other type of "fancy" fish, I have a problem with "something" (birds, raccoons, etc.) eating them. I use to have some Red Oranda Goldfish (beautiful & majestic)...but the 'coons use to (now this is soooo gross) eat their heads and leave the bodies beside of the pond. (I think it was a joke to them...or maybe they tasted bad)

Do you have any suggestions?

KristyC
Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:01
Linda, I measure my portions to help with portion control. I make sure to eat say a fist size portion of meat and I measure my veggies to make sure I'm not going over. If I want a bit more, I measure some out. ;)

Beach: ICK! They ate the HEADS????

beachdream
Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:08
Yes Kristy...they ate the heads!!!
I am now beginning to think it was part of some rival raccoon gang initiation. I thought I saw a red mini bandana laying at the bottom of the pond...but I thought maybe the goldfish were just redoing their living room. The mini-motorcycle tracks around the pond...NOW THOSE SCARED ME!!

:roll:

beachdream
Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:11
OR!!!!!!!!
Maybe the tails had too many carbs.

(HEY! It could happen!)

linda-NC
Tue, Aug-19-03, 13:41
Beach--those little ponds from lowes that are preformed are usually not deep enough for koi. They require a min. of 2 feet deep (mine is 4') plus abundant oxygen with clean water. Koi get very big so they require a LOT more space that the goldfish. YOu didn't say how large your pond was//how many gallons. Now the fancy goldfish like your orandas (gorgeous fish btw), are top or head heavy and are slow swimmers. Therefore they can't swim fast enough to elude predators, so are not good outside fish for a small shallow pool. It is heartbreaking to find your fish dead. I do get attached to mine. Sometimes I have a blue heron (#$$%%%$$##$%%**(*) visit my pond, but mine is so deep, he can only wade the edges. I realize all wild creatures have to eat, but when this d*** bird kills and throws them to the side because they are too big to swallow, then I go on a rampage. :bash: Raccoons are notorious fish killers. Once they find you, they will never forget that easy meal, so keep coming back. Give your fish some hiding places, like pieces of PVC pipe. If you have any questions with your pond, let me know. My modest knowledge is your knowledge. This pic is of my largest koi. She is probably 12-18" long. You can see the full size goldfish beside her for comparison.

Kristy- a fist sized portion is just not big enough for me. If I don't eat enough at a meal, then I look for junk-food all night...lol-and I am not a junk food person. Tonight we are having chicken, stringbeans + another veggie. I will fix some mashed pot. for the others. James (my hubbie) helped me a lot this afternoon cleaning the tops of kitchen cabinets, so I might make him some biscuits to go with his chicken. :) I believe in the reward system :angel:

Off the subject: I have been looking for a photo-editing software program to do old photo restoration. I have photoshop, but it is just way over my head. The other programs I have are too basic with not enough tools to restore pics. Do any of you have a program you use that you like?

Y'all take care. Linda

beachdream
Tue, Aug-19-03, 14:37
Hey Linda...
Thanks for the info on the Red Oranda's. I won't be buying any more of those. I was wondering why my cheapee Wal-Mart gold fish always outlived my expensive ones!

As for photo programs...I have no clue, I wish I could help you out. But my knowledge on computers and programs go about as far as "you push this button to do this".

Take care!

KristyC
Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:31
The only one I use is Photoshop. It is complicated, but I am finally figuring it out. Irfanview is free, but it is only for resizing, really. I use it all the time to resize photos. www.irfanview.com

beachdream
Wed, Aug-20-03, 10:59
Hi Everyone.
Hope everyone is doing well.

I just weighed in and I have lost another 2 pounds. I just hope when I go back to work next week, I can keep this up.

KristyC
Wed, Aug-20-03, 19:26
Way to go, Beach! :) I was worried about keeping it up while at work, too, but I just pack my lunch everyday and I've had no problems. If I don't feel like packing my lunch, I head to a McD's a few minutes away and get a double cheeseburger (no bun!) and eat it with one of their side salads with ranch dressing.

linda-NC
Thu, Aug-21-03, 05:48
How wonderful for you beach!!! Those lbs. are so hard to shed. :yay:

Kristy you are just too smart if you can figure out photoshop on your own. I have version 6 and glad it was given to me free, because it is a foreign language to me. :agree: I have several other programs for pics, but they just do the basics...crop, red eye, etc. I think I have decided on Microsoft's Pro-9. It has all the bells & whistles with handy wizards for the "Photoshop Challanged Person", like me.

Went out to eat with a friend yesterday for lunch. It is a country cooking little diner with great food and even better prices. I had chicken, squash, and okra..no bread & water to drink. For supper last night I made pancakes with WW mix from Hodgson Mills, sausage, scrambled eggs & sugar free syrup. I had never used this pancake mix before, & James said next time at the store get some reg. mix. Don't know if any of you have used Hodgson Mills, but they turned out a little heavy (even added extra water). They were really stone ground, because you could feel the crunchy bits in them. Anyway they gave James gas all night, so that was it for them.

Time for my 2nd cup of coffee. Y'all have a great day. Linda

KristyC
Thu, Aug-21-03, 07:43
Good morning! I haven't heard of the Microsoft program, Linda. I hope it works well for you. :)

I need some coffee, too, to wake up! UGGH!

randisue
Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:39
Hi Everyone:

You guys are too funny, your posts just knock me out. From fish to photoshop!!!

Photoshop idea: do a search on Internet for photoshop tutorials. You'll find a lot of stuff out there. I have Corel Photo-Paint. It's equally hard. I'm a software wizz, and I'm having to stick my nose in the manual to understand it. They are POWERFUL programs though, well worth the effort.

Well, I made myself a decadent dessert last night: LC chocolate shake stuff in the blender, added cream, ice, and strawberries and misc. frozen fruit that I had in freezer. I didn't go wild, but the carbs were certainly around 15-20 for this one "eat." I loved it. Got on the scale today and finally broke the 234 barrier: 233.5 - yahoo!!

I've had a lot of meetings centered around food in the last couple of weeks. Another one tonight - women's meeting for church - WE ALWAYS EAT. They are making sandwiches for us, and we are to bring the "goodies" to go with it. I figure I will eat before leaving home and nibble if I can find anything suitable.

Have a great evening--

linda-NC
Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:18
Well now...that fruit shake thingy sounds pretty good. I am fixing a chef salad for supper. Probably have some nuts for a snack later. In the morning James & I are going to the Carolina Boat Show in Raleigh. He suggested we eat at K & W when we get to Raleigh before the show...what a sweetie!

I had something illegal 2 nights ago...shhhhhhh. You know those frozen homemade biscuits...well the carbs are the same as a tortilla & I had one ...hot with SF Strawberry preserves. Talk about melt in your mouth!!! I haven't gained any so far, even showed 1/2 pound less on the scale this morning, but you know how that goes.

Do any of you use that agava or agave syrup? Where do you get it? I can't find it in any of the stores around here or in Fayetteville. Since we will be in Raleigh tomorrow, thought I might look around.

Randi I am NOT a software whiz. I don't even have a manuel with my programs..not that I could focus long enough to comprehend anyway..lol. I did teach myself to crochet and I did teach myself to paint, and I did teach myself to operate the comp well enough to make several websites...but this photo stuff with the weird termonology really throws me. But I am like a bulldog and it might take me years, but I WILL learn it! If only I was that dedicated to my portion sizes..oh well.

Y'all take care. Linda

beachdream
Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:51
Question:
Have any of you had any side effects on this diet? I have been "cheat free" for a little over a week now and here are the side effects that I have noticed:

Acne (this has went away on my face, but has remained on other parts of my body)
Excessively Oily skin (I mean to the point where I have to wash my face at least 3 times per day)
Sleepy all of the time (I went to bed at 8:00 last night, my normal bedtime is around 11 or so)
and the MOST noticeable to me....
Depression (I could sit and cry a river if given the chance!)

It's that TOM, but I have NEVER had depression this bad (excluding post-partum)

BTW....Lost another pound this morning....but I'm so depressed, I'm not even happy about THAT.

beachdream
Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:56
and if someone EVEN suggest that I might be pregnant (which my DD & DH have been doing)..I'll...I'll...I'll.....I'll take away their pork skins!!

linda-NC
Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:36
Beach are you taking vitamins? You know even though we are eating healthy, we are not getting all we need. Usually depression is a "zinc" deficent. Little cracks on the corner of your mouth is B-complex. If you are sleepy all the time, I would look back to what you just ate. Some foods will cause that and you just have to see what it is affecting you. Everyone is able to have milk on this diet, but my blood sugar is sensitive to that and will spike with just a small amount in a cup of coffee. (Took me awhile to find that one.) Also I can't eat WW flour for some reason, but I can eat WW bread. Keep a food diary and note how you feel 30 min to 1 hour after eating to see what is causing your problems. I am glad you posted your problems. Anyone else have any ideas? Hope you feel better. Linda

beachdream
Thu, Aug-21-03, 17:43
Thanks for the info Linda,

No *bowing head* I haven't been taking any multivitamins. They make me really queasy, and if I take them at night, they keep me up. I'll do a search to see what foods are rich in zinc.

Thanks again,
~Beach~

randisue
Fri, Aug-22-03, 06:40
Linda: Are you also a photographer? I love taking pictures. Took one photography class. Fell in love with the whole thing. Then I got a digital camera. I'm in heaven. I can take pics till my hearts content and then come home and play with them on the computer. The only drawback is it's time consuming. But DH loves to fish. I enjoy it but not for hours on end. I put down the fishing poles and pick up the camera. That keeps me occupied for hours.

Beachdream: The acne and oily skin are probably from too much fat. I get the same thing. When I'm getting zits regularly I just back down the fat a bit and it seems to stop. The feeling tired probably is from not getting all your vitamins. And depression: that could be related or nonrelated.

I can sympathize with the depression. Struggled for MANY years - crying jags, anger outbursts, and constantly feeling beside myself. For me it was hormone related. Praise God I had a hysterectomy on Feb this year and I feel like a complete new person. Now I'm working on getting all the weight off that went along with the depression!!!

I'm happy to report I went down another pound today. And that was after having fruit - a fresh pear yesterday and today. But I also did not snack at night for the last 2 nights. I also went to the women's ministry meeting at church and did not eat at all. I had dinnner before going to the meeting.

KristyC
Fri, Aug-22-03, 13:20
I'm sorry, Beach :(. I also felt out of sorts for the first week or two after I started Induction. I also suffer from depression. I just stuck it out and after the 3rd week, I felt much better.

linda-NC
Fri, Aug-22-03, 15:04
Randi I am just an amature photo bug. I have some good Nikon equipment collecting dust in the closet & only shoot with my digital now. I was asking about the software because I want to do some "old" photo reconstruction for my genealogy. I have played around with that, but I know I can do MUCH better.

Well we went to the Carolina Boat Show in Raleigh today. I have never been on a boat before (only ski boats on a lake), so it was a real learning experience. The heat index was 100 inside the building with no air conditioning. James got so hot, I was really concerned about him. We only stayed just over an hour...bout all we could stand. Then we went to K&W in Cameron Village to eat. I was good....I had fish, broccoli, & cabbage. James & I both went to school in Raleigh 30 years ago. It has all changed so much. Then we came home. Happy to get back to Lumberton and get my shoes off!
Happy Friday! Linda

randisue
Sat, Aug-23-03, 16:25
Linda: Your from Lumberton?-- DH and I used to work with Baptist Children's Homes of NC. Our home office was near there. Many of the folks employed by or getting services are from Lumberton. In fact one of "our" boys was from Lumberton.

I do have a program that I have used for reconstruction. It takes some getting used to, and I don't have anything to compare it to (whether it's good or not so good). It's MICROSOFT PICTURE IT! PICTURE. There is "clone painting". It's very easy and if you take your time. You can do a good job. I redid a picture from the 60s of me and the siblings. It had gotten scratched and beat up over the years. It's much improved now. Also touched up a pic of my nephew who has a lot of acne. I did wonders for that picture.

Seems to me the software came bundled with my computer. So it probably isn't that much as a stand alone software.

KristyC
Sat, Aug-23-03, 20:43
Randi, how is your dh's job going? Let me know! ;)

randisue
Sun, Aug-24-03, 11:23
HI Kristy: thanks for asking. His job is going quite well. He did not take the one in Newton. He's working a few miles from home on Hwy 127.

It's a physical job and I think he likes that. However, even though he wears a little cotton masks he's having trouble with sinus infections from the sawdust. I think we're going to find that it may become a very big problem.

Time will tell....

How are you doing?

KristyC
Sun, Aug-24-03, 18:03
I hope the sawdust won't bother him too much. Tat would be really annoying!

I'm doing well. 1 pound until my mini-goal of 30 pounds! :) I have had a good couple of losing weeks. :)

randisue
Mon, Aug-25-03, 01:10
Help...I've fallen and I can't get up. I feel like such a failure, like an alcoholic who's been on a three-day drunk. I feel terrible and yet I don't know what I'm going to do about it.

linda-NC
Mon, Aug-25-03, 06:27
Good Morning All! Another week started. Gonna be hot and the storm that went thru here on Saturday took out my AC and that of my neighbor. Went to Lowes yesterday and bought several fans, because who knows how long it will be until the "fix-it" man comes. Not going to be cooking, so as not to heat the house up. This is really going to affect my diet, and we won't even go into the swollen ankles I had all day yesterday.

Randi Sue-Yes I am from Lumberton. I already have several programs that do all that fancy stuff for photos, but don't understand how to use them. It is a foreign language to me. Don't have any reference books to learn from. What I need is something to guide me STEP by STEP...insert A into B. Well it is my birthday this week and I have asked James to get me that photo software I mentioned in an earlier post, because it does all the fancy stuff and has wizards to guide you thru it. If I can learn on that one, then I can graduate to something like Paint Shop or Photoshop (both of which I have). I don't have "blind faith" and because of that it took me a year to learn to copy & paste. I admire anyone that can teach themselves to run those complicated programs. -----What do you mean you feel like a failure? Did you eat something illegal?

Beach--how are you doing? Thought about you alot this past weekend.

Congratulations Kristy! You are doing a LOT better than me! I am just holding steady. This heat is causing some water retention even though my blood pressure meds have a diuretic included. I could be stricter, but I am weak..weak...weak....and I love the taste of food. My best friend is taking me out to lunch for my birthday, and I will probably fall off the wagon hard! LOL..will probably bounce with all the fat.

Y'all take care. Linda

KristyC
Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:56
Randi, are you cheating, woman? ;) What is going on?

randisue
Tue, Aug-26-03, 21:58
Yes, I read one too many posts about carb uploading and I indulged, and indulged, and indulged.

Next thing I knew: I looked around and had fallen off the wagon.

I became depressed at my foolishness and the overwelming amounts of sugar. I'm better now and will get back to induction come next Monday morning. (We are headed to SC to see DD and I won't stick to induction, so I'm going to wait).

The old, perky, "good" Randi will be back next week!!!

Say a couple of prayers for me. I'm concerned I will gain back every pound I've tried so hard to lose before I get back on Induction.

Manya
Thu, Aug-28-03, 22:31
Hey!

Ya'll are funny! I have been LOL at all the posts.

I live near Raleigh. I am back on the Atkins wagon again. I lost about 60 pounds 2 years ago. Then I got pregnant with our third child and I gained ALOT of weight because I just ate everything and anything I could get my hands on. I came home from having the baby and kept right on eating and put on more weight. Self destructive behavior I don't know what got into me.

So, I am still on induction. I started back 8/20/03. I was in ketosis by the end of the first day. I am doing so well and have lost 8 pounds. I just want to stick with it this time.

You all are a big encouragement. It is just more fun when you can share this WOE/WOL journey with others! My DH just does not get low carbing. He can just stop drinking his Mountain Dews for a week and lose 20 pounds...no problem!

When I see foods that I really love I just think about the mess I am in now and it is just not worth it to cheat. I am having trouble with my legs, back and my feet hurting constantly and I am only 35 years old.

I would love to offer you all my support here!

Hugs,

Manya

linda-NC
Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:02
Welcome Manya! Glad to have you! That is amazing that you were in ketosis the first day. I went to x-ray school in Raleigh and lived there for 4 years. But that traffic last week when we went to the boat show, convinced me that I am better off in a small town.:rolleyes:

I went to the doctor yesterday for my 3 month checkup. She was so excited about my lab results, she just went on & on for 10 minutes!!!!!! I have NORMAL readings for the first time. My HDL rose 12 points...yipeee!!:roll: Told her about sugar busters & low carb diets, took her some research. She said "Wow, I need to go on that WOE diet". I am just so happy about this diet.

This is the first time this week I have had time to post. As you know we didn't get our AC back til Monday afternoon (just in time for the heat wave) TG. Tuesday I had to take a friend to the hosp. for out-patient surgury. Tuesday afternoon my computer tech showed up to fix a couple of problems with my comp and didn't leave until 1:30 AM. Found 3 virus on my comp. and 2 on James comp. I now have XP and new virus software on both comps. Wednesday was my birthday--off the wagon. Friends took me for a Chinese lunch-pigged out at the buffet. Figured if I couldn't stay on my diet, I would just eat what I wanted (love chinese and hadn't had it in 6 months). That night James took me for seafood. He got me the software I wanted for photo reconstruction. Haven't had time to play with it much yet. Also comp. tech came back Wednesday night to do more stuff he didn't get to on Tuesday and upgraded my video card. He gave me a break on the price. Only charged me $125 for almost 12 hours of work to 2 comp. and the upgrade. Bless him!!! Yesterday was the doctor visit and today I have FREE:agree:. So I plan to play with my new software. I started back on my diet Thursday and plan to stay there! Don't have any plans for Labor Day weekend..just to veg out and relax.

I hope all of you have a happy holiday weekend. If you are traveling, please be safe.

Later, Linda

linda-NC
Fri, Aug-29-03, 06:06
Manya, just saw your profile. Gorgeous baby!
Linda

KristyC
Fri, Aug-29-03, 14:59
Manya, welcome! It is great to have you with us. I can relate to the baby weight. I gained quite a bit with my two boys, as well.

Just for an aside, I took my blood sugar today with my mom's glucose meter. My blood sugar was 130 or around that number before starting Atkins and now it is 102. Not surprising, since I'm not eating breads, pasta, etc., but it is still good to see I'm not borderline diabetic anymore! :)

AvonDawn
Fri, Aug-29-03, 20:30
Hope you don't mind another NC gal jumping in here. My name is Dawn, I'm soon to be 34 (too soon for me!) I have 3 little ones (7, 3, & 1). The last two were c-sections and I am now 60 pounds heavier than I was when I first got pregnant.

I had nearly given up losing any weight when I ran across Atkins. I've been walking a mile+ per day, cut out sweets and cut back on portions and I have only lost 12 pounds since I had my youngest son. So as soon as my MIL leaves next week, I'm going to start on Atkins and I have high hopes that it will work for me. I'm tired of being miserable, hating the way I look and most importantly, feeling awful.

It's amazing what a small world we really live in! I live in Kernersville, but grew up in Winston-Salem (graduated from West Forsyth in '87). I also married a marine, who was stationed at Lejeune from 1989 - 1996.

At any rate, I'm glad to find some locals that I can hopefully turn to for support and advice. I'm very anxious to get started and think that this might just be what I need to get back to a healthy weight. Nice to meet you all!

linda-NC
Sat, Aug-30-03, 04:45
Welcome Dawn! Happy to have you. Too early--gotta get a cup of coffee. Linda

beachdream
Sat, Aug-30-03, 06:42
Hi Everyone,
I haven't spoken to you guys in quite a while. I hope things have been going well.

I started back to work this week, and I also failed my diet this week. I have done awful. I plan to start back on Monday. (we have a couple of things we are doing this weekend, and I don't want to concentrate on watching what I eat)

Welcome Dawn & Manya! (Dawn, we are practically neighbors!)

Take care & I will talk to you soon.

Love,
Beach

KristyC
Sat, Aug-30-03, 19:48
I was going to post to you, Beach, and find out how you have been. ;)

randisue
Mon, Sep-01-03, 07:11
HI Everyone:

The bad Randi is gone now and the good Randi has returned! We were in SC Fri-Sun seeing our DD and meeting her softball team. We had a blast. I ate OK. Tried to eat LC bkfst and lunch, then enjoy dinner. I didn't do extra snacking. Did eat large portions and desserts each night :-(

I'm back to Atkins today. My weight jumped back up to 241, but I'm going to work hard to get back down and keep going toward my goal. This time I'm going to try to stay away from the splenda and other sweeteners. I'm quite sure that is what blocked weight loss last time.

I bought Walk Away the Pounds and love it. I used it Tue-Thu last week and will try to commit to daily use starting today.

Mayna: welcome to the group. I see our stats are almost identical. I wish you well. I haven't had a baby in 22 years, so I don't suppose I can call my troubles baby fat!

Linda: So much going on!! Happy belated birthday. Congrats on your 3-mo check up - fantastic!! Glad you got your computers straightened out. Viruses are such a nasty problem. Have fun and enjoy your new SW prgm.

Kristy: Hi!! How are you doing? Your stats are looking GREAT! You've showed a steady weight loss since you began WOE. Keep up the good work. You are a real encouragement to all of us!

Beach: Stick with us, girl. I hope you can handle being back at work and sticking with your WOE. We're here for you. Don't leave us. What would we do without you awesome humor!?!

beachdream
Mon, Sep-01-03, 07:50
Hi Everyone,
I am with Randi!

I have a "get together" planned for this afternoon, but I am ready and willing to start tomorrow. I am going to watch what I eat today though. The depression thing scared me the last time, I have to admit, but at least I am aware of it now.

You guys take care...and HAPPY LABOR DAY!!

You gals are great.

KristyC
Mon, Sep-01-03, 09:42
Hi Randi! Glad to see the "good Randi" is back ;). I've heard WATP is a great exercise system!

linda-NC
Tue, Sep-02-03, 05:57
Good Morning Ladies :roll:
It is going to be a good week. Hope you all had a happy & relaxed Labor Day weekend. We need rain here...haven't had any in weeks. The hurricane is going to miss us according to the weather gurus. I stayed on my diet mostly over the weekend, if you don't count portion control. I am very weak there. Last night we had fish. I gave the others french fries (baked) and I had a salad with mine. What am I going to do without my fresh tomatoes this winter? :cry: I am still learning my photo editing software. If I can learn one feature a day, then I might have a handle on this bear in a month or so. Yesterday I learned the clone brush, which I think is the most amazing tool.

Last night for a snack, there was nothing in the house to be found. So I made some roasted pecans. Very rich, can't eat many, but VERY GOOD! Hate to waste pecans like that, but can't use them in cakes and brownies anymore. I need to find something sweet I can nibble on that is legal. Any ideas besides jello & cheesecake? Lately when I get that sweet urge, I have been eating a biscuit with SF Strawberry Preserves on it. Don't want to make a habit of that.

Y'all take care, Linda

Manya
Tue, Sep-02-03, 15:47
Hi Everybuddy!

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Linda - Thanks for the compliment. Baby Kate is the light of my life. I get really upset with myself when I think back on how distressed I felt when I found out I was pregnant with her. God knew what he was doing. She is the best baby & her brother and sister lover her!
Thinking of something that you can snack on...do you want to incorporate the pecans? I have a couple of recipes you could try. Have you tried the mock danish? Or making your own low carb chocolate peanut butter treats? Let me know if you want the recipes.

Randisue - I looked at your pic on your profile and you look SO familiar. Girl, it doesn't matter how we put the weight on just that we are determined together to get it off! I have the walk away the pounds tapes too. I love Leslie. She has the sweetest spirit. I was doing the tapes 3 times a week and then I was having trouble with my feet and knees so I stopped but I need to start up again. We should challenge each other.

Beach - Nice to meet ya! You have done to well on your weight loss journey to start fooling around now! Get back on the wagon there are too many yummy things that we CAN eat to cheat. At least that is what I tell myself. LOL!

Dawn - I had a c-section with my first baby. I remember it just took me so long to feel human again. I think that you are doing great. I keep telling myself I am going to walk everyday but I am lucky if I do it twice a week. I got on this mid-evil torture machine at the YMCA last week called an Eliptical. I stayed on it 5 minutes and I thought I was going to die. Sad......So you already have a healthy attitude about exercise and that is great.

I had a pretty good Labor Day weekend I went to Charlotte to visit my sister. I stayed legal and I am done with induction but I am going to stay at about 20 carbs for another week or so.

Sorry for writing a book but I just wanted to address everybody.

Hugs,
Manya

beachdream
Tue, Sep-02-03, 17:20
Hi everyone...
And YES Manya! I need to get back on the wagon. I did really well today...then when I got home...I lost it. Ended up eating *whispering Nachos with the family and then followed that with a low-carb ice cream and a no-carb pecan cluster..

HELP!!!!!!!! I usually take everything in stride and see the sense of humor in almost EVERYTHING...this time...this ain't funny!

KristyC
Wed, Sep-03-03, 09:24
Don't worry, Beach. You CAN do this, ok? We're here to help you!

randisue
Wed, Sep-03-03, 12:40
Hi Everyone!

Beach: Is there anything that we can do to support you? I'm sure that once you get going again, you'll be fine. We're here, let us know what we can do....

With that said: I blew it yesterday, too! Had some Cinnabun popcorn to finish. Like Beach, I can't stand the depression I get from the glut of carbs. So I'm finally on track today and realize I don't have the luxury of eating any other way.

I read another Randi's (RandiS from this board) stats the other day. She is a lot like me. But she stuck with the WOL and has lost like 100 pounds. I've realized that could have been me if I would not have chosen to cheat and cut corners. I'm not beating myself up - but psyching myself up. If I stick with this, I too, can get off the extra weight and look and feel terrific.

How that I think of it, Kristy's stats are encouraging, too. She's stuck with it and made a nice, steady progress. Keep up the great work, Kristy.

Yank_in_NC
Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:00
Hey I've been registered with this forum for almost a year...how come I never saw this thread? lol

Anyway, I'm in NC too...Chapel Hill/Durham. Live in CHH, work in Durham.

Hello neighbors!

randisue
Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:30
HI YankinNC: Welcome! I'm a Yankee too. From the St. Paul area of Minnesota and most recently moved from the Eau Claire area of Wisconsin. How about you? DH and I just love NC, although we are quite ready for some cooler weather - out of the 80s would be nice.

I've been determined to keep my midwestern accent. However we met our DD and friends in SC over the weekend. They told us how I already have a bit of a southern accent.

KristyC
Wed, Sep-03-03, 13:31
Hi Yank! *waving* Nice to have you join us. :)

Thanks, Randi. I've managed to stay on plan and not cheat since I began Atkins on July 1st...not that I haven't been tempted at times! I just know how much weight I have to lose yet and I'm in the mindset that the more I stick to plan, the better I'm going to do.

BTW, that popcorn sounds yummy!

linda-NC
Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:05
Welcome Yank! The more the merrier!

Manya- I would love those recipes, if it isn't too much trouble.

I had some whole wheat spagetti noodles last night for the 1st time by Hobson Mills. Different tasting from regular ...DH asked if there was anything wrong with them cause they were brown. I said...get used to it--no more white!:nono: Then I had a piece of garlic texas toast...opps, there IS a hole in that wagon floor.:bash: (sitting on the front seat of the wagon now) Oh well...things happen ...moving on. Going to be working on learning my photo software today and have to make my 5 day supply of dogfood.

Ladies..y'all have a great day! :angel: Linda

beachdream
Thu, Sep-04-03, 15:55
Just dropped in to say "Hey Ya'll!" Haven't started back on my diet yet. I do really good during the day...and when I get home...all heck flies loose! I eat while I cook. (and not pork rinds) (eeeeeeeeeek)

I HAVE to get motivated...I CAN NOT gain this weight back!!

Hope ya'll are having a good Monday...oops...it's Thursday....whew...thank goodness!

Take care!
Beach

Manya
Fri, Sep-05-03, 07:04
Beach - Hey! I am going to try and help. This weekend make a list of legal foods. Prepare your own stash. Make sure there are plenty of things you can snack on while cooking that will keep you from eating the wrong things. Boil some eggs, make up some chicken salad or tuna salad, dip some celery in some ranch or blue cheese dressing, make some chicken wings this weekend and then you can warm them up in the microwave. Eat some cream cheese with a little peanut butter and splenda, drink a diet coke or some SF crystal lite. Keep some snacks in the car so you can have something on the way home so you won't be so famished by dinner time. You will be in control! You know these things already I am sure!! You are doing SO GREAT!!
(((((((HUGS!)))))))))

Linda - I will compile a few recipes and email them to you. I need to pay some bills and balance the checkbook first...not my favorite things to do.

Hugs to all!!!

Manya

P.S. How do I insert all the cute smilies on my post?

linda-NC
Fri, Sep-05-03, 07:18
Come on Beach...we will hold each other on the wagon.

Manya..looking forward to the recipes. Good tips on snackfood. But the peanut butter and cream cheese together (grimmace)...I don't know if I am brave enough for that one....

You have to be in advanced mode to use the smileys.

Rain finally..really needed it..hope we get more!

Y'all have a great weekend! Linda

KristyC
Fri, Sep-05-03, 20:38
Manya, hit the "reply" button instead of typing in the quick reply box and the smileys will be on your left. ;)

I'm not so sure about pb and cream cheese together, either LOL!

randisue
Sat, Sep-06-03, 05:27
Good morning all!

I have good news. I've been doing great, and went I got back on the wagon on Wed the scales hit 241.5. By this AM I got back to 234. That's really about the lowest I was at before my HC departure.

The great thing is that I know I'm eating higher carbs. But I'm not eating splenda. Did use DaVinchis one time each day though. But I've been eating extra vegatables (lots of fresh green beans and and a whole cucumber in cream at one meal)and lovin' it.

We're off to see our young friend at his group home. It's his birthday today, so we're going out for eats, Bass Pro Shop in Concord, and hanging out.

Have a great day everyone.

Mayna: Loved your snack ideas. I'm sure you don't get bored with your eating, do you!

beachdream
Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:18
Great Job Randisue!!
:cheer:

I am going to Concord Mills today too! Maybe I will see you there! (wait...I don't know what you look like...hum?) (But if you see me...just come by and say HEY!)

Anyways...thanks for all the support and ideas from everyone. I haven't started back yet, but I haven't gone "hog wild" (hum...I can have hogs...) ok, I haven't gone "carb wild" either. I have all of my "stuff" to get started...it's just a matter of GETTING STARTED!

I hope you all have an awesome weekend...it supposed to be GORGEOUS here!

Take care,
Love,
Beach

beachdream
Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:24
Manya...just a question...
I was looking at your profile and I noticed your Yahoo ID was poohtynker....are you a Pooh fan?

Lordy knows I am! I love almost anything (old school) Disney and the Beach. Dang, I am an easy to please kind of woman!

KristyC
Sat, Sep-06-03, 11:20
Good afternoon, everyone. I've been doing yardwork all morning, so I'm taking a break. Have a great day!

Way to go, Randi!

Manya
Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:42
Hi Everybuddy!

Now don't knock the peanut butter and cream cheese until you have tried it. I swear it tastes just like the peanut butter cheesecake at the Cheesecake Factory Resturant. It is so rich that it doesn't take much at all to satisfy a sweet tooth.

Linda - I am inserting a link here to a great site of recipes. Everyone is welcome to go there and take a look. http://www.atkinsloser.homestead.com/

Sorry that I don't post everyday. With two kids at home I have to find something for both of them to do before I can get online and sometimes that ain't easy!

Hugs to all,

Manya

Manya
Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:47
Oh yeah I forgot. Beach I like pooh but I am really a piglet fan. I like the classic pooh stuff. My dd was nicknamed poohtynker by my FIL and so I kind of adopted it as an online nickname way back.

How was Concord Mills? I have not been there yet. We go to Charlotte to visit family about 4 times a year and I pass right by it each time. Just looks to big and overwhelming!

My favorite shopping spot is Target. We have a SUPER TARGET nearby. It is aswsome.

randisue
Tue, Sep-09-03, 12:59
Mayna: I think the P-butter and cream cheese sounds wonderful. Maybe too good - I'd better not try it. I did check out the link you put up. Saved it in my favorites for when I have more time to look closer.

I bought a Walk Away the Pounds video set with the "walk away belt." Boy do I love it! I can walk at home any time day or night. Walking for long periods on cement or tar really hurts my back. But I "walked" for over 40 minutes to the video today and feel great. I think it's really helping my back as the pain as begun to diminish.

Have a great day 'all.

KristyC
Wed, Sep-10-03, 12:59
WAy to go, Randi! That is great. :)

linda-NC
Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:21
Manya thanks for the adkins recipe link. Might try some of those...the cream cheese & egg pancakes are too good, so I know some of those will be great also.

Kristy, I just noticed your stats...YOU GO GIRL!!! You are just putting all of us in the shade.

Well, I just had my 32nd wedding annerv. James took me to eat seafood. I had shrimp, fish and a salad with ranch dressing. Those hushpuppies looked & smelled even better, but I just looked away. It was a temp. moment of madness...lol.

Anyone have any problems with "restless legs" at night when you are trying to rest? Well I have. Did some research on it and tried some suggestions from another forum from people that have had it. They said it was from peeing so much and losing the calcium, mag. & potassium in the muscles. So the days I don't take a complete vitamin, I take the cal, mag, pot. supplements. The restless legs are a thing of the past, I am glad to say.:wiggle: (boy, I love the internet)

I am making some progress with my photo editing/reconstruction. Beginning to look like I know what I am doing...which I don't. But I will keep chugging along.

You all take care.
Linda

Manya
Wed, Sep-10-03, 16:22
I made a low carb pumpkin cheese cake today. I should have just gotten out of the house but today makes 3 days straight that I have not been anywhere and that means trouble. I made the cheesecake. I ate all but like 3 slices of it. I stood there and ate it with a spoon. Now don't tell me that was because a spike in my insulin. It was because it tasted so good and I wanted to have a "party in my mouth" (thank you Dr. Phil)

So even though it was low carb I know I over did it. I don't really have an appetite but I still love to eat. I am an emotional eater and I am going to have to deal with those issues too.

It's too quiet here we need to liven things up a bit!!

Linda CONGRATS!! on your 32nd anniversary. That is a huge deal. My DH and I are going on 15 years. With 3 kids it seems like we hardly have a conversation alone anymore. I am looking forward to our later years.

Kristy you are doing so great. What is your secret? Please share!! Are you exercising? We have recently joined the Y but I have not felt inspired to go since the pool closed.

Hugs to you all,

Manya

beachdream
Wed, Sep-10-03, 16:32
Hi everyone!!

I've been out of order (virus got my ISP's server). It's so good to be back.

UPDATE: I have been doing really well at my diet, lost 4 pounds in less than a week..I don't think I am going to weigh everyday though...it gets too depressing.

Gotta run cook supper...hope everyone is doing well!!

Love,
Beach!

KristyC
Wed, Sep-10-03, 18:28
Good for you, Beach! I'm proud of you.

Manya, no secret really, just exercising for an hour everyday (I walk) and eating no bars or shakes or sweets...sticking to "whole foods". I have had great losses the last 3-4 weeks and I attribute it to those things. I also drink about 180 oz. of water per day.

KristyC
Sun, Sep-14-03, 13:25
Check in everyone! How are we doing? :) It has been a slow weekend here on this thread.

beachdream
Sun, Sep-14-03, 19:09
Hi Everyone...
I hope everyone is having a good weekend. The temperature was AWESOME here. It was overcast...but I like it that way. Looks like the hurricane is heading our way, so we have been doing prep work here. Getting chainsaw ready, buying batteries, bottling water...etc etc. I was in Charlotte when Hugo hit...never want to do that AGAIN! BTW...they say it is supposed to "hit" Thursday night..piece of advice, fill up your gas tank in your car before then. When Hugo hit, I didn't think anything about it, but there was no power, therefore no gas (the pumps run off of electricity).

Diet is going well here. I haven't weighed yet, going to wait until the beginning of the month.

Manya, what is the recipe for the peanut butter/cream cheese mixture. I love cheesecake AND peanut butter.

Take care!

Love,
Beach

linda-NC
Mon, Sep-15-03, 05:32
Good advice Beach. I too have been preparing for the event. I think all of us are in the zone to feel the effects. I watched Hugo wrap around us and go on by...but "Fran" dropped a 100 year oak on top of my house. Anyway, I am ready. Only problem I have is where my 2 dogs can go potty during the duration. Don't want them to get hit with falling branches.

One thing about this diet is you have so much food in the fridge. What to do if the power goes out? I bought some plastic drop sheets at the dollar store and plan to make some temporary coolers to store it. Have started freezing ice already. I also bought a pack of sterno (2 cans to a pack--$5.69 ~ K-Mart) and will use it for heating soup & water for coffee till the power comes back on. Batteries ready and extra bottle of lamp oil.

Had a nice surprise this morning...my blood sugar was 94. Lowest one I have had so far. Yipeeee! Y'all take care.
Linda

randisue
Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:11
Hi 'all!

I'm from the midwest. I know just what to expect from twisters, but hurricanes are another story. I'm inland near Hickory. Do I have to worry about such things like power outages, stocking up on water and ice, candles, etc?

Now that I think of it, if this puppy is as powerful as Hugo then we would have to get prepared. My neighbors told me that have felt strong effects even this way in the past. Guess like the rest, I will need to stay glued to the TV re: the weather forecasts.

I'm doing good with my eating. Staying more away from the sweeteners and eating plenty of veggies and some fruits and nuts. I'm faithful to my walk away the pounds and I'm steadily losing.

Got to 230.5, but that jumped back up a couple of pounds the next day. I was at 233.5 today.

beach: glad to hear you are doing okay.

linda: remember if the power goes out, stuff in the frig and freezer actually stay for quite a while if you don't open the doors. Congrats on your blood sugar.
Kristy: How are you doing?

linda-NC
Mon, Sep-15-03, 16:40
Randi Sue--here is a map of the projected path of Isabel.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1303W5+GIF/152058W5.gif

This is off the National Hurricane Center. I would imagine that with the path they are predicting that you would only get a small amount of wind, maybe some rain. Hugo was an event that wasn't supposed to happen up your way. No one thought it would go from Charleston to Charlotte all the way to Michigan. That was a really bad storm. That is one of the reasons that the forcastors never give absolute forcasts & predictions.

I have a big freezer, but my fridge is frostfree and the food doesn't stay cold very long. Lost everything in the fridge last hurricane. Power was off over 24 hours and we were some of the first ones to be restored. Got more stuff in there now than last time, so I am going to be prepared.

Just put that link above on your desktop and you can check the updates...5AM, 11AM, 5PM, 11PM every day. Don't worry this won't be a bad one for us.

Linda

KristyC
Mon, Sep-15-03, 18:26
I'm still not convinced it won't come inland. After Hugo, I'm not betting on anything LOL. We'll stock up on food and batteries and fill the cooler just in case. ;)

I'm doing well, Randi! :) I've been gaining and losing the same pound all week. Weigh-in is tomorrow, so I'm hoping to finally get past this weight!!!!

randisue
Tue, Sep-16-03, 15:35
Linda: how thoughtful to give me that link. I will copy it to my desktop. My sister moved to Orlando, Florida a few years ago. We just talked and commented on the fact that she should have been the first one to experience a hurricane, not me!

Kristy: So glad to hear you are doing well, but sorry about the one pound. Thankfully it's just one, not 4-5 you lose and gain. I really like how you have your stats posted. They aren't too overwhelming, and it's so motivating to see you achieve such steady weight loss. You keep at at!

So, Kristy - do you think we're going to feel Isabel in our area? I haven't done a thing to prepare. I guess I'm keeping my ear to the weather reports. Then, if need by I'll pull a few things together.

Manya
Tue, Sep-16-03, 15:54
I am really worried about this storm. We were without power for 6 days last December and I had a 3 week old baby. It was horrible. None of our friends had power either and it was just as bad in Charlotte where our family lives.

I am not sure I am prepared. DH is in charge of the generator and the fuel and I guess he is waiting til the last minute to fuel up. We are in the Raleigh area.

Anyway....hope you all are doing well. I am down another 2 pounds. Did the happy happy joy joy dance this morning.

I hear a baby crying....

Hugs to you all.

Manya

CindySue48
Tue, Sep-16-03, 20:22
hi everyone!

I just found this thread and I'm thrilled!

I did Atkins a year a go and did great....then went off....then quit smoking. Well I'm finally back and trying hard to stick with it. I'm only on day 2 of Induction, but so far, so good! Seems a bit easier this time around....probably because I haven't been eating too many carbs lately.

I'm in north durham....been here about 6 years. (transplanted northerner)

Cindy

randisue
Wed, Sep-17-03, 05:44
Welcome Cindy: Keep up the good work and keep coming around to this thread, you'll get lots of support from fellow tar heelers. Your stats are close to a couple of ours (Kristy, Mayna, and me that I know of). Kristy is a real encourager. She is consistently knocking off a couple or more pounds per week. We're often asking her what is the secret!

I, too, had been on ATkins around a year prior to coming to the mssg board. I lost a lot before, then went off the WOE and got really out there with my eating. Got up to 250, which is the most I've ever weighed. I was suffering from health problems and cooking was part of my job. Then eating with a bunch of huge-appetite teenaged boys. I started to eat just like them! (worked in a group home)

Anyway...thanks for stopping in and saying hello. I wish you well on your latest weight loss efforts.

KristyC
Wed, Sep-17-03, 14:22
Randi, looks like we won't get much from it, UNLESS it takes a more Westerly path. I am still not dismissing it, though. We have enough food, etc., in case we have problems with the hurricane. Everyone stay safe. Raleigh may get hit hard again, unfortunately.

randisue
Wed, Sep-17-03, 14:50
Kristy,

:Party: I see that today you have met a mini-goal of losing 40 pounds. CONGRATULATIONS. :Party:

If you ask me that's a "maxi" not a "mini."

I'm so happy for you. You are doing so well. I'm thankful for the priviledge of interacting with you regularly through this thread. :yay: You keep it up, girl!! :Party:

linda-NC
Thu, Sep-18-03, 17:08
Well Isabel has left us and although we had high winds & about 3" of rain, it could have been a LOT worse. Still raining but we need the rain here. Been looking out my bedroom window all day and here is what I saw...
http://www.geocities.com/lindaguthrie/isabel1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/lindaguthrie/isabel2.jpg

Lots of trash and limbs to clean up tomorrow. Just glad I am here, living in America and able to do it.
Hope you ladies fared as well.
Linda

Just realized that my website won't let me fileshare. Had to add the pics again.

KristyC
Thu, Sep-18-03, 20:20
Linda, we missed the damage, thank goodness. All we got was some breeziness LOL. I am SO glad.

Randi: Thank you SO much! I am darn proud of myself, too, for losing this much so far. :)

CindySue48
Thu, Sep-18-03, 23:24
Made it thryu without any damage either....just lots of branches and leaves!

Lost power for a couple of hours, but not bad at all!

Congrats Kristy!

randisue
Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:58
Glad to hear everyone is in tact. Taylorsville had cloudy, breezy weather the entire day. It was really quite enjoyable....I felt kind of guilty.

To celebrate Kristy's 40 lb goal I went to McDonalds and ate the bun with one of my two dbl cheeseburgers, ordered fries, and then went for a shake. I had chocolate and other stuff later on at home. BAD BAD BAD.

I was only up by a pound today, thankfully. Went back to being a good girl this AM. Think I just needed a break. Hadn't seen the scale move in several days.

beachdream
Fri, Sep-19-03, 16:17
RANDISUE!!!

Your hand please....*spanking hand! ::: sigh ::: I have to ask...was it good?? SORRY!

Hi everyone...
We did good here too, not much more than hard rain and gusty winds.

I hope our friends at the beach are doing well.

KristyC
Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:39
I had to chuckle, Randi, when I saw that you were celebrating my loss LOL! You may have needed a carb blowout day to restart your metabolism anway, so back on plan today. :)

Hey Beach! Good to see you posting today.

randisue
Mon, Sep-22-03, 11:02
HI Everyone!

Beach: Okay, girl, I took my licks... Actually my little carb blowout did some good. I was up just 1 pound the next day. By the second day I dropPED 2.5. I'd previously been stuck for several days. I'm very leary of the carb blowouts and have tried and fallen on my face before. I really have to be quite strict with myself.

I've really done quite well. I have lots of meetings that are centered around food. I either stop at McDonald's and eat dbl cheeseburgers w/no bun and a side salad; or I bring my meal with me.

We had company Saturday PM. They brought dessert - French Silk Pie. It looked so great. But I ate my jello and almonds and was quite satisfied. I get the goal of weight loss in mind!

Kristy: I know you have your weigh-in today. I'm anxious to see where you are at. You and I currently are at the same weight - that is until you post your newer, lower results. As usual....YOU GO GIRL!

KristyC
Mon, Sep-22-03, 14:56
Hi Randi! Good for you for losing!!! That is awesome.

I lost 4 pounds this week to bring me to 230.5. :)

beachdream
Mon, Sep-22-03, 17:04
WOOO HOOO KRISTY!!

*doing Happy dance*
:wiggle:

Ok... :yay:

doing my jumping jacks now....
I'm pumped...GO KRISTY!! GO KRISTY!!

Girl, I am SOOOOO proud of you

KristyC
Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:25
LOL Beach! Thank you. :)

KristyC
Thu, Sep-25-03, 14:01
Ok, slackers LOL. Where is everyone today?

beachdream
Thu, Sep-25-03, 21:00
lol kristy!

I have been working all day...just got home! Going to be a long weekend. At least we are having pretty weather!

I hope everyone is doing well.
Take care,

Love,
Beach

KristyC
Fri, Sep-26-03, 18:37
I'm going to have a busy weekend, too. My dh is working lots of overtime this weekend. :(

CindySue48
Fri, Sep-26-03, 23:13
I'm getting new kitties this weekend! Adopting 2 cats, 6 & 7 yrs old from a woman who is being forced to give them up. I can't wait!!!!

Oh yea....and I have to clean house...ick.

randisue
Sat, Sep-27-03, 12:00
Hi to all!

I'm busy this weekend, too. My church has a weekend conference for all the attenders once each year. This year the topic is spiritual growth. Our speaker is from TX.

We're home now on break between AM and PM sessions.

I got a job lead from a women at the conference. We are both new to the area and began to talk about work and being unemployed. Turns about this gal's husband may have need of someone in his office. So I've emailed my resume and will try to get with him next week.

Hope you all have a terrific weekend and that you eat well!

KristyC
Sat, Sep-27-03, 20:56
Let me know if you get the job, Randi! :) That sounds promising.

Yank_in_NC
Mon, Sep-29-03, 09:21
Hi Cindy Sue a/k/a Neighbor!

I'm in NC as well. Chapel Hill actually.

Your post caught my eye because of your pet adoption. I just got a puppy yesterday!!! We had a chocolate lab for 13 years that we lost to cancer last October (almost a year ago). After he passed I swore I wouldn't get another dog but as time went on, well....I changed my mind. It's such a heartbreaker when you lose them. He really was a great dog.

Once I decided to get another dog, the only prerequesite was that I wanted a SMALL dog this time. I got a Rat Terrier yesterday. Unlike most rat terriers, however; he has flopped ears which I LOVE! He's the most precious thing...all 2 pounds of him! I'm going to try to post a pic here later this week.

How are your new kitties doing? I'm sure you're enjoying them!

Kim

CindySue48
Mon, Sep-29-03, 23:33
Hi Kim!

So sorry to hear about your doggy! And so glad you got another one! Is he a puppy? or adults? I also adopted 2 puppies a few months ago. They're Dobe/Shepherd/hound mixes....Duke is more shepherd and Daisy is more hound.....they're cute as hell and still puppies....only 10 months old. The two cats are orange tigers. Their old mom had to give them up because she was moving and couldn't take them (I felt so sorry for her!).

One of the cats, Georgie has been venturing out....and hiding a lot! He also got into a bit of a tussel with the puppies today and lost a bit of fur, but no injuries. The other one, Cali, we only see glimpses of her....when she darts past us to get into hiding! Her mom said she was a scaredy cat....which is why we have her....she's very attached to Georgie. I think they'll do fine, once they get settled in.

I'm in north Durham, but I work in Chapel Hill. Transplanted yankee? New York? I'm from Boston! Moved here 6 yrs ago and have NO regrets!

randisue
Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:25
CindySue: My first husband (can't get my self to say DH) was from the Boston area. We lived at Fort Devens, but traveled to Salem frequently to see his mom. I fell in love with the entire Boston area. I'd really like and excuse to go back for a visit, but my DH (current) doesn't like the city. He wants to be fishing or camping or hiking...

In spite of past marriage, Boston holds lots of great memories for me.

CindySue48
Tue, Sep-30-03, 23:23
me too Randi Sue! I love the area, but to visit, not live. I have most of my family up there and so many friends! I'd love to go out more often, I've only been twice in 6 yrs....and once was for a funeral.

It's very pretty up there....and it's very different!

Yank_in_NC
Wed, Oct-01-03, 13:21
Cindy Sue:

Yes, he's still a puppy...all 2 pounds of him! He should put on another 10 before he's full grown! He's so sweet and he doesn't talk back (like my kids do) hehehe.

I'm opposite of you. I live in Chapel Hill and work in Durham! Wanna switch? hehehe. Do you work at the University or hospital? It's the first thing I think of when people tell me they work in Chapel Hill.

I moved here four years ago from upstate NY although I was born and raised in NJ. No regrets here either!!!!

Kim

CindySue48
Wed, Oct-01-03, 23:42
Kim

Nope, I am a nurse, but I work for a company that produces a web-based product for nurses, case managers, etc. I do QA....got the job because of my nursing/case management experience....then went over to QA because I was so good at breaking the application! LOL How about you?

I love the job, love where I live (the county, just north of the city line) I love the weather....everything!

One of my pups talks and talks back all the time! He's a riot! He talks by making funny growly sounds....and he talks back by barking at me! He's still a puppy, a teenager I guess! LOL

I have 2, one is in college, the other finishing up high school.

Yank_in_NC
Thu, Oct-02-03, 06:24
Cindy:

I too love it here. I have a son in middle school and a daughter in high school. Quite challenging! My new little doggie is the third child I never had! lol

I work for a small telecommunications company in downtown Durham as an office manager. I've been here for four years (since I moved to NC).

This morning he was up at 5 and wouldn't go back to sleep so I took him outside to do his business (which he did) he's such a good boy! lol. Anyway, I wasn't quite ready to be up yet so I put him in bed between my husband and I and he fell back to sleep. He is really so precious. I took him to Pet Smart the other day for some toys and a sweater and you should have seen him barking at this ENORMOUS Great Dane! It was hilarious. That dog could have eaten him in one bite! Funny, as he was barking his little head off...he kept backing up!

Anyway, back to why we're here....I can't believe I'll be low carbing for a year this week. I started on Atkins on Oct. 3, 2002. Amazing how time flies. Glad I did it. Even though I'm still at my "target" I'm happy with where I am. I guess you can say I'm on maintenance now. I never believed I'd ever wear a 5/6 again and am sure I wouldn't be if I hadn't gone on Atkins.

How are you liking the low carb thing?

Kim

KristyC
Thu, Oct-02-03, 09:31
Manya, where are you? I haven't seen you in a few days. Beach, where are you, too? Check in!

CindySue48
Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:08
Kim

This is my second time on Atkins and so far so good....it's been almost 3 weeks! Yay! I lost a bunch last summer, then fell off the wagon and gained almost all back.

I'm having a craving day today and I'm not sure why. I've been having berries the last 3 days and upped my carbs a bit, but I didn't think enough to bother me! The only thing I can think of is I've been eating Splenda. I made some whipped cream last night and put some in tea this morning.....but I didn't drink the tea! ick!

I do have a couple of low-carb bars, but I'm afraid to eat them! LOL I'm really nervous they'll set off a binge! I have always been better, regardless of how I try, to stick with a weight-loss plan if I avoid sugar all together. And I have never cared for artificial sweeteners, I don't trust them, and always find a bitterness or an after-taste. Oh well...the berries are just too good to give up, so I'm really hoping that's not the issue!

KristyC
Tue, Oct-07-03, 18:39
CindySue, I know what you mean about the bars...I am hesitant to eat them. I rarely do. When I have eaten them, I do not lose as well. I DO, though, have to have one Diet Rite per day with Splenda. I used to drink Diet Pepsi (several a day), so I have to have one Diet Rite per day.

KristyC
Thu, Oct-09-03, 07:31
Good morning all. It is so gloomy here and rainy. I hope to get a walk in today at the park if the rain will hold off for me.

KristyC
Mon, Oct-13-03, 14:24
Where is everyone :(. I'm all alone! Come out, come out!

beachdream
Mon, Oct-13-03, 18:09
Hi Kristy...I'm home now and I can play. (hee)

I have been on vacation and life at home has been...well....did I tell you that I've been on vacation. :rolleyes:

We just got back from Myrtle Beach and plan on going back in a couple of weeks...did I tell you guys I LOVE the beach??

Haven't stuck to my diet one bit...go ahead and bop me...but I plan on starting tomorrow...have all my goodies ready...PASS THE GOOD VIBES THIS WAY!!!

I hope you all are doing well....I missed you!!!

Love,
Beach

Clarkc
Mon, Oct-13-03, 23:23
Hi All! Im brand new to these forums and just started looking to find some others doing this diet for support/ideas. Just wanted to say hello to the NCers!

beachdream
Tue, Oct-14-03, 04:24
Welcome aboard Clarkc!

Yank_in_NC
Tue, Oct-14-03, 06:27
welcome clarkc!

Where in NC are you? I'm in the Triangle Area.

KristyC
Tue, Oct-14-03, 10:26
Welcome! Congrats on your 90 pound loss so far :).

Clarkc
Tue, Oct-14-03, 13:05
Hi again everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome and comments. Im in Winston-Salem. Good to find an active board.

beachdream
Tue, Oct-14-03, 15:35
OMG...Clarkc! Where at in Winston-Salem? (that's where I am at!!!)

I have done well today...need to stay focused!! *-*

Hope you all are having a happy Tuesday!

Clarkc
Tue, Oct-14-03, 15:42
Hi Beachdream! Im up on the north side of W-S not too far from the University. Glad to hear you are keeping your focus.

KristyC
Tue, Oct-14-03, 17:55
YEAH Beach! I'm glad you are doing well!

beachdream
Tue, Oct-14-03, 18:22
mmmm deviled eggs....anyone care for any?

Clarkc
Tue, Oct-14-03, 18:35
Beach, any good stores in the Winston area for low carb foods? Mainly looking for low carb bread and snacks.

beachdream
Fri, Oct-17-03, 03:37
Hi Clarkc,
The best store that I have found in Winston is Doug Brendle's Natural Health Superstore on Stratford Road next to Michael's Crafts behind Chili's. They have all the Atkins stuff, and just about anything else you could imagine. I went in there one day and a group of us (none of us knew each other) that just started chatting about the different things we've tried. So try there.

Hope everyone is having a GREAT Friday!!

mmmm, I smell bacon cooking!

KristyC
Sat, Oct-18-03, 19:10
Yummy! Bacon! I need to cook some soon. Bacon is one of those foods that I can overeat.

randisue
Mon, Oct-20-03, 17:02
Hi Everyone:

Thought I'd check in and say good-bye.

I'm still NOT on Atkins and I may not go back. I've purchased two new books: South Beach Diet and Dr. Phil's The Ultimate Weight Solution. I'm excited about them both.

South Beach is every thing that I've been trying to put together in my head: whole grains, fruits, veggies, good fats (Olive Oil, Omega 3, etc), lean meats, and low fat dairy.

Dr. Phil's book is a must read. Doesn't matter if you are on a diet plan or not. He's dealing with your head, your environment, what you're doing to set your self up for failure vs. success. He's full of common sense information and ideas. I think it's a must read for everyone. You will definitely get your money's worth. Truthfully, this is a WOL, too. Their no diet involved, you must make positive changes in your life.

Anyway...I'm going for it. Going to try living like a thin person, and hopefully I'll find her some time in 2004!!

By the way, I have a job interview tomorrow AM. This would be a nice job working in an assisted living facility for the elderly. I'd be the business office manager/adminstrative assistant. I'd wear a lot of hats, and still get interaction with the residents and their families.

Please pray that God will open or close the door according to His plan for my life.

TTFN: Randi

CindySue48
Tue, Oct-21-03, 07:53
Randi!

Good luck on the interview!

My favorite people to work with are our elders! They're so cool....can teach you SO much!

Hope you get it and it turns out as good as you hope for!

Cindy
Triangle, NC

KristyC
Tue, Oct-21-03, 10:25
I hate to see you go, Randi. Check in with us when you can. I hope the SBD or Dr. Phil's plan works for you. I agree that getting to the root of the problem is key. I had to come face to face with my emotional eating before I went on Atkins. Good luck!

KristyC
Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:06
How is everyone doing this week? I'm just glad it is Friday. It's been a long week for me.

Ashleygirl
Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:24
Hi everyone! I feel like I know you all after spending a little while reading all the posts. I'd like to join if possible!

My name's Ashley and I live in Winston-Salem. I've been on and off Atkins for ( :blush: ) four years! Always the same story... I start in January, lose 30 pounds over three or four months, then go right back to my Mountain Dews and quit eating right.... and gain it back.

Well.... last year (Feb. 2002) my husband and I joined a new gym in our community. I did great as I planned for a trip to Hawaii that May (lost 31 pounds) to about 150!! Then proceeded over the course of the next year and a few months to balloon up to 196!! Largest weight ever except when pregnant with my middle schooler (who now weighs almost as much as me!)

I started really working out hard again this August first and started back on induction that week! The second week in September, a friend brought me a book called "Escape your Shape." Since I am a spoon shape, (have always had heavy thighs and legs) I started on that exercise program ever since. I am so excited... Today I can wear my size 10 pants that I haven't had on since May 2002. I wish I would get brave and throw out my size 12 and 14's so I won't be tempted to go back up.

I'm am close to halfway to my goal... I am at 171 currently and want to hit 140!!

By biggest thing is I've got to stay committed to working out and eating right!! NO MORE MOUNTAIN DEWS!!! :nono:

Little personal info... I'm a stay-at-home mom to three great kids. My oldest son is 12 and in middle school... my daughter is 9 and in fourth grade and my youngest son is soon to turn 8 and in second grade. On my next anniversary (New Year's Eve), my high school sweetheart and I will have been married 15 years. My family and the Lord are the joys of my life!!

I'm very active in my kid's PTOs and my church, and the community sports booster club. You'll notice the little TAZ icon for me... well.... I stay on the go. My kids do Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, football, soccer, horseback, gymnastics, choir, Bible Bowl, etc..... I am truly a TAXI-Mom if ever there was one!! But I wouldn't trade it for the world. I also do picture-framing behind my house and am a former P.R. director and graphic artist.

I am in a mixed marriage.... I graduated from UNC in Dec. 1988 and my husband graduated from NC STATE in May 1989! Our poor kids are so confused.... The only safe bet for them is to pull for the Panthers. Unfortunately because we live in Winston, my oldest seems to like Wake!!! AAAARGH!

I'm looking forward to commiserating about my CONSTANT DAILY struggles with all. And yes... I love the mountains and the beach. We stay at our mountain house near Sparta a lot, and visit my parent's condo at Myrtle Beach quite often. We just spent a week in Corolla (Outer Banks) in October during the kid's break.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...... Bye now...

beachdream
Fri, Oct-24-03, 19:20
Hi Ashley...welcome aboard!
Congrats on the weight lost thus far, and good luck for continued success. (As posted earlier, I am from the Winston area too)

Hi KristyC...
You are sooooo right girl! TGIF!!! I have my 3 year old nephew this weekend...so I can forget about keeping a tidy house.

I hope everyone is doing well...and Randisu...you know I don't mind a bit if you hang around...we love ya girl!

take care,
~Beach~

KristyC
Sat, Oct-25-03, 20:42
Welcome, Ashley! Nice to have you with us!

beachdream
Sat, Oct-25-03, 20:54
Kristy,
I have a question...Looking at your FitDay Journal, it doesn't look like you eat a lot. Do you list all the foods you eat in a day? (or is it like me....when you remember)....just wondering.

KristyC
Mon, Oct-27-03, 15:07
Hey, Beach. Yes, that is what I eat. I eat about 1200 calories per day. Sometimes I forget to add on a meal or bar, but I normally eat between 1100-1300 calories per day. I used to eat about 1500-1700 when I started and as I lost, I became less hungry, so I started dropping my calories. Today, for instance, I haven't entered my dinner, so I'll end up with about 1300 calories (I have about 989 so far today). What do you eat in a typical day, Beach? Am I eating too little calories? :exclm:

KristyC
Sat, Nov-01-03, 11:57
How is everyone's weekend going? Doing well here. Need to get off my rear and go grocery shopping!

beachdream
Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:58
Hey Kristy...
Don't ask what I've been eating lately...not even an lol afterwards. (birthday time of year here...I won't say anything else)

How was the weather where you are? Here it was ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!

Is anyone getting ready for the holidays? Any idea on what "legal" foods they might be preparing??

Take Care,
Love,
Beach

KristyC
Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:39
Hey woman! I'm glad you checked in! It has been just beautiful here. Wonderful fall weather. I wish it could be this way the entire year. :)

I had NO clue. My mom isn't helping out LOL. She is making crap I can't eat...besides turkey and salad. She is making dressing and pumpkin pie, both no-no's. UGGH!

beachdream
Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:57
Hi! I haven't been doing well at all...but I am TRYING to kinda keep it under control. I dread Thanksgiving and the weekend afterwards! (My sis, daughter and I are going to Myrtle Beach to go shopping)...so I'm am trying to do good between now and then.

Have you done any Christmas shopping yet? I am starting this weekend.

Have a great day...another GORGEOUS day here in the Carolinas!!

Love,
Beach

KristyC
Sat, Nov-08-03, 19:29
I have done NO Christmas shopping yet. I dread it every year. I do most of mine online because I despise crowds! Hope you are having a good weekend, hon! :)

beachdream
Sun, Nov-09-03, 08:21
You know...I use to go "all out" for Christmas for everyone...then one year, I spent WAY too much money and as I looked around, all I saw was greed (self included). Now, everyone gets (excluding my daughter, hubby & nephew) one gift....and it is a gift from the heart. You know, the kind where you are walking thru a store and you say to yourself "Gosh, Uncle Billy sure would like that" and you buy it. It may cost $25 or 25 cents. I am determined to bring the 'true' spirit of Christmas back...even if it is only in my home.

I love shopping, wrapping and giving...and the wierd part is...I am very uncomfortable recieving.

I think I am excited about the shopping trip...just for the crab legs dipped in butter...mmm mmm mmm!

Take care! (It's a chilly Sunday here!)
Love,
Beach

CindySue48
Tue, Nov-11-03, 18:33
hey Clark and Ashley! Glad to have you aboard!

Christmas shopping??? What are you guys talking about? It's too early to start shopping! LOL I wish!

Beach...I know what you mean about the buying and wrapping, etc. I love seeing the looks on faces when they open the gifts! Last year, my 2 kids, now 19 & 21, gave me a list of just what they wanted....it was just a couple of things each....I hated it! They knew ahead of time what they were getting....I didn't want to wrap them....and it was all over before it even began!

This year I told them I want a list....not of what they JUST want....but of what they MAY want too! Then I informed them both that they may or may not get anything on the list! LOL My son is not happy....daughter isn't thrilled either. I think they figure they not going to get anything on their lists! When will these two figure me out! LOL

Anyway....been off the wagon the last few days....getting back on strict induction tomorrow to break the sugar/sweet/carb thing.

KristyC
Fri, Nov-14-03, 20:30
I actually did some Christmas shopping for the boys a few days ago. I got them some new toys. I usually never shop this early LOL!

Have a great weekend everyone.

ncwingnut
Sun, Nov-16-03, 18:36
Hello North Carolina-type people!

My name is Lynn and we live in Liberty, NC ....just south of Greensboro *grin*

I am married, have 2 children (12yo son and 10yo daughter) and 3 boxer dogs. I have been doing Atkins since October 20th. I work at a Pharmeceutical printing company.

Just wanted to pop in and say hey, and I was happy to see a NC thread!

Lynn

TarHeel
Sun, Nov-16-03, 18:40
Hi Wingnut: I live in Chatham County.....and tomorrow someone is coming over to have lunch at my house who is building a house in Snow Camp so her husband will have a shorter commute to his job in Liberty. I've never been to Liberty but recently we went on a lovely Sunday afternoon drive to Snow Camp.

All of which has nothing whatsoever to do with lcing, of course, but it's interesting to meet a neighbor.

Kay

ncwingnut
Sun, Nov-16-03, 19:11
Hi Kay! Nice to see someone so close....my daughter attends a church over in Siler City...and that is where I do most of my Wal-Mart shopping *grin*.

Not much to see as far as Liberty goes, so you are not missing much....blink and you have driven though it, lol.

Lynn

KristyC
Tue, Nov-18-03, 11:06
Welcome, Lynn! :)

beachdream
Sun, Nov-23-03, 19:53
Hi Everyone...I hope all is going well with everyone.

I am leaving for Myrtle Beach on Thanksgiving. WATCH YOUR LEGS CRABS!! And beware all outlet shoppers.

Take care...and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! GOBBLE GOBBLE

beachdream
Sun, Nov-23-03, 19:54
Hey..just noticed...what's up with this GALLERY icon???