PDA

View Full Version : Hi - I'm New Here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

katrinka
Tue, Mar-18-03, 09:08
Hi,

I wanted to say hello and say thanks for this forum!

I started following a low-carb lifestyle about 3 years ago, when I was diagnosed as a Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetic. I read Dr. Bernstein's book about Diabetes, and he very clearly stated that both Type I and Type II diabetics are helped by eating low (or no) carbs. Then I read Atkins' book. I decided to try it and found that my need for insulin went down and my blood sugars became much more stable! My endocrinologists had been worried that all the fat would hurt me so we watched my numbers closely. After 6 months, my cholesterol and other closely watched numbers were all improved!

I'm a believer in this way of life.

I see that I am a carbohydrate addict, too. If I don't eat any, I don't miss it, but if I have a few pretzels, man, I'm sucked in. That's how I fell off the path for a while - I told myself I could handle a little bit of carbs. However, I just found that a little led to a lot. Soon I was eating like a carb junky again.

I'm back on the low-carb path again now for about 2.5 months, and I feel great about it.

I don't think I've lost a lot of weight, but that's not really my greatest need, since I'm not super heavy. I just need to feel good about what I'm eating and to know that what I'm eating is the best medicine I can give myself. That's what I feel when I'm eating about 20-30 grams of carbs a day.

Anyway, thanks for letting me introduce myself! I know I need support to keep up this change for the long term!

Katrinka

Iowagirl
Tue, Mar-18-03, 13:30
Welcome! So good to hear your health has improved. My mother was diagnosed with diabetes, has had a few strokes as a result (at the age of 56!). I saw the writing on the wall and that is why I turned to Atkins, initially to lose weight - I had no idea my health would improve (overall) as well.

Hang in there!

Dutchgirl1
Tue, Mar-18-03, 16:42
Congratulations Katrinka,

It will also be three years for me this coming June. I just found this forum a month ago. This forum has been incredibly helpful and supportive. I found that visiting here often keeps me going strong. Kepp up the good work!!