PDA

View Full Version : very new

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kchome
Mon, Mar-17-03, 23:26
I have no idea what to do. I need some help. I hope I can get it here. I have hypoglycemia, any ideas on what to eat that is low carb. and I also have post polio and my Dr. said the low carb diet will break down my muscles. I like the diet and am doing good on it, but I don't need any more problems, Help! kchome

nikkil
Tue, Mar-18-03, 05:58
Sorry you have so many health problems!

I can only tell you my experience with muscle mass since starting Atkins Jan 14/03. It has increased tremendously. I do work out minimally with weights, mostly cardio right now, but I don't think it's because of that. Most people, IMHO, don't consume nearly enough protein so when it's increased your muscles repair and heal. I haven't lost any weight in the past 2 weeks, but have lost 5 inches (mostly waist and thighs)! That tells me that muscle is replacing fat in my weight (so it's not showing up on scales but muscle takes up less space than fat so I'm losing inches). Does this make sense? I can feel my muscles much more and they're stronger and firmer than before LCing. It's great! Of course, I want the scale to go down and it's not right now, but my clothing size is going down! :D
I would suggest looking into LCing more, bring some facts/studies to your doc, find a doc that's more supportive of LCing...I'm sure others on the forum will give you their opinions, too. I'm not comfortable telling people what to do, just telling you my experience.

Good luck in your health struggles.
N.