PDA

View Full Version : It's me again...........

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Javamama
Mon, Mar-17-03, 08:01
Hi again :wave:
I was wondering if you guys could post some typical menus for your day. Thanks--------Angie

CaroleSP
Mon, Mar-17-03, 09:02
Like I said in your other thread, I don't follow her plan to the letter. I kind of modify to fit my lifestyle and needs.

For breakfast I usually have old-fashioned oats with butter and milk or soymilk. I also add some wheat germ and cinammon, and sometimes protein powder. Make sure you use old-fashioned oats or steel-cut oats, not the quick oats. The quick oats have a higher glycemic index (GI), and release more sugars into your system all at once.

For lunch, I eat leftovers a lot. Or, I'll have cottage cheese and an apple. Or, tuna sandwich with canola mayo on Ezekiel bread. Ezekiel bread is made from whole, live grains, not flour. It tastes like a hearty wheat bread, but has a lower GI. Soups are also good. I used to eat Healthy Choice meals and a Pepsi One before I started her plan. I've come a long way.

For dinner, I'll usually make something from scratch. Either from her cookbook or Dr. Weil's cookbook. I'll have the crustless quiche with salad, or fish with broccoli and brown rice. I just make sure I have a good protein with lots of veggies and maybe a small amount of brown rice. I have wine or beer with dinner sometimes too.

For snacks, I usually have a smoothie with protein powder or Ezekiel bread with almond butter. Sometimes I'll have a Zone Perfect protein bar if I'm desparate. With the kids, I'll sometimes have a dessert like a homemade milkshake with protein powder. However, it's a very small shake. I also make sure I take psyllium powder daily. It's got lots of fiber, and helps your bowels when you are on a lower-carb diet. Psyllium powder is generic brand Metamucil, and only costs about $4 for a big jug. I get the orange flavor Target brand, and it tastes pretty good.

Hope this helps.

Carole
:)

rosarugosa
Mon, Mar-17-03, 10:26
I just looked at the clock and realize that I have to stop 'computing' and take my walk and get ready for my part-time job.

Do you have the Dr's web site? It may answer some of your ?s until you get the book(s). it is:

http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/

I just noticed the site*finally* has some of the experiences up other than the good Dr.'s personal one. I plan to go there this evening and read some! Happy surfing !

Piano
Tue, Mar-18-03, 12:12
On a good day ;) I usually have something like the following:

Breakfast: cottage cheese; berries; sugar free yogurt mixed together Yum!

Snack: Ak Mak Crackers, natural peanut butter, celery sticks

Lunch: Whole wheat bread & chicken sandwich loaded with onions, green peppers, lettuce & cucumbers

Snack: celery sticks, natural peanut butter

Dinner: Some type of lean meat; spinach salad; roasted potato

gingertea
Tue, Mar-18-03, 13:12
Breakfast - Eggs scrambled or fried with pepper, onion, feta cheese, sometimes tomato
Lunch, mixed salad with chicken or tuna
Snack, cheese and apple, or nuts
Dinner - Meat, salad, another vegie like beans or asparugus or broccoli
Gin

Suni
Tue, Mar-18-03, 13:25
Decaf coffee with a gloop of real whipping cream, 4 oz. V-8 or tomato juice - two scrambled eggs, 1 slice whole-grain toast with butter and a few small tomatoes.

Snack: 1 thin slice of cheese (swiss usually or gouda) on 1 Rye-Vitta high-fibre cracker and 1/2 apple or orange; or about 15 - 20 raw almonds and 1/2 apple or orange or piece of fruit.

Lunch: Usually a large salad with mixed salad greens, crumbled feta cheese, cut up turkey or chicken breast (about 1 - 2 oz. which I cook up on the weekend, chop and keep in a container so it is easily available when I'm constructing my lunch), loads of cut up veggies (onions, peppers, zucchini, celery, etc.), 2 - 3 olives, and a Schwarzbein recipe salad dressing (usually balsamic vinagrette - delicious).

Snack: The other half piece of fruit from the morning and a few nuts (usually almonds but occasionally raw filberts.

Dinner: 4 - 6 oz. meat or fish, small side salad, sometimes 1/2 potatoe or sweet potato or 1/3 cup of brown rice or 1/2 cup whole wheat spaghetti, low carb veggie.

We ususally don't eat dinner until almost 7 so I don't require an evening snack because I am still comforably full from dinner.

On the weekend I allow myself a few squares of GOOD chocolate - the kind where there is 70% cocoa - it isn't too sweet (even tho there is some sugar in it) but it is rich and it satisfies my "sweet tooth". I am OK during the week knowing I can have this small treat on the weekend. I will also have a glass of wine a day on the weekend too.

I find having the olive oil, butter and whipping cream, my cravings have all but disappeared. I never knew what it was like to live before without cravings.

I work out at the gym at lunch 3 times a week (step aerobics and weight/circuit training) and do Hatha yoga one night a week (love it) and hubby and I try and swim 1 - 2 times a week also.

Hope this helps.

PS: If any of the senior members or experts wants to comment on the above please feel free to make suggestions for changes. Thanks

Javamama
Tue, Mar-18-03, 18:33
I would like your input on todays menu-----------
BREAKFAST: 1 slice of whole grain toast with peanut butter
SNACK: 1/4 cup sunflower seeds & an apple
LUNCH: Big salad with romaine lettuce, cheese, and chicken.
SNACK: 1/4 Cup of almonds & 1 cup of blueberries
DINNER: bowl of califlower with butter and melted cheese.
I would appreciate any input. Thanks----------Angie :wave:

CaroleSP
Tue, Mar-18-03, 21:26
Angie,
Like I said in your other post, you need more protein. Add some protein to your breakfast (like a hard-boiled egg). Also, add more protein with your dinner; chicken breast or fish or tuna.
Carole

Javamama
Wed, Mar-19-03, 06:17
HI! :wave:
I am trying to add more protein with my breakfast. The trouble is...I do not likes eggs. Only cut up in a salad. What I had for breakfast today...flax-o-meal with a scoop of protein powder and cream. Is that better? Thanks.-----------Angie

CaroleSP
Wed, Mar-19-03, 12:42
Protein powder in your flax-o-meal is a good way to go. Yes, you're doing better. Be creative!!
Carole