PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie with questions!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Laurs87
Sat, Mar-15-03, 21:50
Hi everyone!
I'm brand new here, and I haven't started a low carb diet yet. Right now I only want to lose about 10 pounds, but I'm not sure if low carb is the way to go for me. I don't eat any read meat, and I just can't acquire a taste for tofu. Right now I eat a lot of chicken, seafood, and veggies, but it sounds like I'll have to give up the vegetables. Should I still give a low cal diet a try? I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow to research different options. Also, will it work for me? I only have 10 pounds to lose, and I'm in pretty good shape right now. Thanks so much for reading this!

Rosebud
Sat, Mar-15-03, 23:21
it sounds like I'll have to give up the vegetables.
Nooooo! ;) I eat at least 6 to 7 cups of vegies daily.

Lauren, if you go to "Which low carb plan is right for me?" at the right of your screen, you'll see summaries of the major plans, which may help you in your research.

None of the plans is "no carb," they are all "low carb" - quite a distinction. The very earliest Atkins plan started with very few carbs, but since then he has realised that you can lose just as much with 20g as 5g carbs. And the 20g is only for the first 2 weeks.

Actually chicken, fish and vegies sounds fine. May I ask why you don't eat red meat? If you just plain don't like it, that's fine, but in your research, you'll discover that red meat has been given an undeservedly bad rap.

All the best to you!

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Laurs87
Sun, Mar-16-03, 07:22
Hi!
Thanks so much for your reply! I guess I have a lot of researching to do! ;)
Anyway, I haven't eaten read meat since I was a little girl. I spent a summer at a farm with little pigs and cows, and I haven't been able to bring myself to eat red meat since then. At that time, when I told my parents I wanted to be a vegetarian, they forced me to eat poultry and seafood. So that's just how I've been eating since then. I couldn't change that. Thanks again for your reply!