PDA

View Full Version : New to Site

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Donna Mc
Fri, Mar-14-03, 12:05
Hi, I'm a lifetime dieter (did the old Atkins when it first came out, lost 40 pounds then gave it up as too restrictive). This time it was a lot easier. I didn't count carbs because I pretty much stayed on induction with a few added perks (olives, c cheese, Atkins candy bars and nuts). I set my goal fairly high, but I'm six pounds under now, still just watching it and trying to stay away from sugar and flour (I miss bread and cookies!). I've had fun with it, stayed on it pretty much even when travelling. Now I'm scared to add stuff back (need to reread the maintenance section but I lent my book to a friend). 3 things appealed to me about this. 1- taste of food, 2 - no hunger 3 - ease of doing it (no counting, measuring or weighing - I am aware of portion size due to lifelong food awareness, dieting, etc).

A few of the neat things about getting to my goal: I weigh the same as my husband and he is a light weight. My old clothes not only fit, they are getting baggy. When I shop for clothes, the size is smaller than I expect. My friends call me "Skinny", and say I look slim. Many of my friends are asking about the diet and trying it or variations. I feel healthier (I'm not gassy, bloated or sluggish).

A few challenges of being here: cookies, bagels, and bread call to me and I'm trying to resist most of the time. I'm trying to cook low carb and looking for new recipes (this site should help). I don't really want to make "diet bread" or use the flour substitute. When I go off big time, I try to just get back to it the next meal. I weigh daily and it seems to help me stay on track.

Looking forward to interacting with some of you and staying with it. I don't know how to add the smiles, etc or do all the fancy stuff. Since I'm doing it at work, I don't really have time to play with it. My home computer is too slow. Oh well, BFN! Donna Mc

Iowagirl
Fri, Mar-14-03, 13:35
Welcome, Donna (or should I say 'Skinny?)! :wave:

Nothing feels better than those baggy clothes.

There are a lot of great recipes here. Try deep dish pizza quiche - you will never miss pizza again!

Good luck!

windy
Fri, Mar-14-03, 14:00
Welcome Donna, this is a great place to come. There are so many good people just waiting to help us.

There are wonderful recipes, which I need, to keep me from getting bored. I have found this woe to be a wonderful thing. I have found something I can do forever.

I found out after induction I did not crave, cookies, sweets, potatoes etc. You are right to have fun with it. Keep up the good work.

Windy

TraceyLynn
Sat, Mar-15-03, 02:40
Hi there,

Good for you...I have also made the choice to make this a life change and not a fast fix thing...I feel better everyday and cant wait till this summer to fire up the BBQ...LOL. I have a few friends doing this with me so that makes it easier...I too am such a bread fien but have noticed now I dont even think about bread pasta or potatos it really amazes me!!! This is a wonderful way of eating!!!

Donna Mc
Tue, Mar-18-03, 13:07
I appreciate the response (especially the hint about pizza quiche), but how do I answer individually? Go to their sites? Is there a way to just reply to them directly?

I am trying to spend lunch times here on the forum, but after reading an article or 2, it is over, and at home my computer is just too old and slow. It is an interesting way to spend time, I will try to answer individually tomorrow.

I have a lot to learn about journals (I think my introduction is more like a journal entry - maybe I can just move it over). I also need to play with the smilies and fonts, colors, etc (I like spicing things up a bit!).

Thank you,

Donna Mc