PDA

View Full Version : what should i do

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lrmcguire
Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:15
Hi all!! my name is LaTonya, I have been on atkins for almost 3 weeks, and i have lost 19lbs!!! i started buying shelled walnut, they have 3 carbs and 3 fiber per 1/3 cup. Is this ok for induction? does walnuts have a high glacemic index? I use them to help with my cravings, but the problem is i eat at least a half of bag to satisfy my cravings!! what should i do? :confused:

reese
Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:35
on induction. If you must have nuts, may I suggest Macadamia nuts? They are high in fat and low in carbs. Also, you could measure out just an ounce of nuts (small handful) and allow yourself to only eat that to keep from overeating. Congrats on your loss so far, thats amazing!

tofi
Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:44
After 3 weeks of following Atkins, you are out of Induction & can add other things like nuts. Walnuts seem to be good because of their high fibre content.

But if any food seems 'irresistable' to you and you can't stop, then you should be very cautious about having it in the house. Sometimes we are sensitive or addicted to particular trigger foods and it's usually those that we can't stop eating. You'll have to be your own judge of how it affects your losing.

For cravings, try taking a supplement of L-glutamine which is found in vitamin or health food stores. It really works. But remember, if you are hungry, you CAN eat on this way of eating. Just have protein stuff around when you feel hungry. Hunger & cravings aren't the same thing. Cravings are usually for a specific sort of food while hunger is for anything. On LC, we rediscover a 'natural' hunger which we may not have known for all our high-carb years. Enjoy the freedom to eat some meat.

You did wonderfully in the first 2 weeks of LCing. Prepare yourself that the high rate of loss does not continue for anyone. If you lose 2 pounds per week, you'll be doing extremely well.

Hop over to the "Hot Links" sticky at the top of the Newbies Questions and read the one: Do you really expect your progress to be all losses (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=274591#post274591)

That will help you ride out the times when you either don't lose for a while, don't lose for a LONG while, or even pick up a few pounds while staying LC.

All the best. :wave:

lrmcguire
Fri, Mar-14-03, 16:12
Thanks all for your advice. My cravings come mostly when my kids are eating sweets . I have made the sugar free gummy worms from jello and that does it most of the time. But sometimes i have a really hard time, i just want to eat bread!!! i will buy some l-glutamine next time i go to the store, hope that helps with the cravings!!! thanks all!!! :spin: