PDA

View Full Version : Fat Fast (GASP!!!!)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Teaselus
Thu, Mar-13-03, 17:59
This is something I've been wondering about - I know I'm somewhat putting the wagon before the horse (since my Induction was somewhat skewed), but I _do_ know that my metabolism pretty much sucks, and I might have to go on the Fast.

Did anyone here go through this horrifying thing? How bad was it? :eek:

Lisa N
Thu, Mar-13-03, 18:34
I did it once and quit after the third day because I was starting to feel so horrid. It did accomplish what I wanted it to which is breaking a nearly 5 month stall, but I doubt that I'll do it again.
Do two weeks of induction-by-the-book and then look for other possible stallers before you consider trying this. It really is a last choice maneuver when all other things have failed and all other possibilities for the lack of weight loss have been ruled out.
Being sick will often put weight loss on hold while your body concentrates on fighting whatever bug has invaded your body and add to that taking medications that could have interefered.
Now that you're better again, you may have better results. :)

eeyoremn
Fri, Mar-14-03, 07:52
What is the "Fat Fast" that I have seen referred to several times? My weight loss has been VERY slow and just thinking of ways to kick it up. :confused:

reese
Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:00
for the most part but here is my experience:
I did induction for three weeks and lost 2lbs and I lost those 2lbs in the very beginning. While I am happy w/ 2 lbs and I understand that this is not a fast weight loss plan, I am going on a cruise with my bf in a month so I'd like to feel more confident in a bathingsuit. I started the fatfast 2 days ago and have lost 2lbs making my total loss 4lbs. I don't feel bad physically (yet). Maybe a little more tired but its tollerable. In addition, I am not that hungary. I usually do macadamia nuts in the AM, a little egg salad around lunch time, 1 oz tuna w/mayo and slice avacado mid afternoon, more egg salad a few hrs later (can you tell I like egg salad?), and 2 oz whipped cream in the evening. As an additional snack in the evening, I've been having a few pork rinds and some sliced peperroni. Notice Dr Atkins doesn't say you HAVE to eat all the things he suggests for fatfast, he says "some suggestions are".... All you have to do is eat stuff that is 70-90% fat and eat 200 calories worth of it. Probably one of the reasons I'm not that hungary is that 1000-1200 cal is not much under what I should be eating (120lbs x 10= 1200). Good luck to you with whatever you decide but it works for me.

Teaselus
Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:35
Thanks to Lisa and Reese for their input. I have to say - I'm still terrified of the Fat Fast, but I keep telling myself that if I _have_ to do it, you only do it for 4 days or so. I'll try the 2 week induction first, though.

eeyoremn:

The Fat Fast is a diet that's supposed to REALLY get your metabolism going if you're _very_ slow on losing. You're supposed to (for about 4 days) consume a total of 1000 calories worth of food (5 meals a day, 200 calories each) that is 70% to 90% fat. After those 4 days, you can increase the caloric intake to 1200 calories, but same (70-90%) fat content.

It's not recommended unless you have a VERY slow metabolism and are not losing at all on the Atkins plan.

He has a chapter on it in his book.

Personally, I'm dreading the prospect of going on it. But we'll see how it goes. Hope this helps.

reese
Fri, Mar-14-03, 08:36
Why are you so afraid of it?

Teaselus
Fri, Mar-14-03, 09:17
It just seems WAY to restrictive for me - in both amounts and content.

reese
Fri, Mar-14-03, 09:19
You could probably get away with modifying it- have one or two more meals (200 cal each) extra and it should still work. But you will probably find success w/out resorting to that. Good luck!

Teaselus
Fri, Mar-14-03, 09:40
Thanks!

I'm hopeful, too. Keeping my fingers crossed.