PDA

View Full Version : Atkins bake mix

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mamasita
Wed, Mar-12-03, 06:34
Does anyone know what this is made of ... : (ingredients)
I'm trying to find something similar so I can make some of the great recipes in the book....?
or what I can substitute with?
thanks,
Claudia :wave:

LoneInAz
Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:34
I believe at least a few of the ingredients are: Soy Protein Isolate, Litesse Polydextrose and baking powder. The Litesse is available from a company called CarbSense (as are alot of other alternative reduced carbohydrate flours and grains.). Wish I could give you more, but I think truly those are the main large ingredients. While the Atkins bakemix is good, I prefer the same companies (CarbSense) mix as it has oat fiber and wheat protein isolate and flax seed meal and seems a bit more palatable to me than Atkins mix, guess it depends what you like though. Good luck.

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAz

lkonzelman
Wed, Mar-12-03, 14:39
I use it as flour (although 3/4 cup to every cup in recipe) and find it works well.

I do add extra fat or eggs to make things taste better like my brownies but I love to be able to make things from scratch.

lattegrl
Wed, Mar-12-03, 23:38
i make my own bake mix- so much cheaper :)
1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protien isolate
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons splenda
- mix and store in a container -same as the 'real stuff'
another recipe i have for this mix is esentially the same but you cut in 2 to 3 tablespoons of shortening- i got both of these from Carb-Lite.
servings 10, per serve 37 calories, 2gr fat, 3gr protien, 3gr carbs, 1gr dietary fiber, 969mg sodium. (these counts are w/out the shortening.
Happy cooking!

mamasita
Thu, Mar-13-03, 07:58
Hi Guys :wave:
Thanks for your answers... vm!!
Now you Lattegrl, have something good going there!! I love your
recipe, the only thing is I don't have the soy isolate here... can you give me the name of the bran you buy, so I can order it on the net ?
I'm defenitly gonna try this a.s.a. I get the stuff from the States...
I love to cook, so if you have other recipes I'd love to hear from you...
Anyways Thanks to all of you!!!!!
Hang on there : : ;)
warm regards,
Claudia

lattegrl
Sat, Mar-15-03, 09:14
i checked and i have some generic brand of isolate in the cupboard-nutrihealth- anything will work, i think the GNC sells their own brand- it's where i shop when i need to talk to someone about what i am buying!- i am sure i got mine from wallmart (being thrifty ;) )as you start playing in your kitchen try out the vanilla whey protien to add in here and there (can also buy it at walmart) for nutrition- I love the smell and the taste of it- cant say the same for the bitter/sour taste of that protien isolate. :p Happy baking.