PDA

View Full Version : Intro...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LoneInAz
Wed, Mar-12-03, 06:15
I thought I'd make a introduction since I just found the site. I've been a low carber for three years. The first go round (yes I fell off the wagon, rolled in the dirt and added mucho weight the first time around) I lost 70 pounds. About a year and a half ago I bottomed out health wise, at 45 y.o. I had topped 307 pounds at a very short but stocky 5'7". :mad: My health got bad, I was nearly borderline diabetic according to my physician and I had adema (sp?) so bad in my ankles and feet I could'nt barely get my shoes on (let alone even see my shoes :p ).

Fast forward a year and a half. I've been maintaining a weight of about 190, well I finally decided to press for the last bit of weight loss in the last three months and I stepped on the scale tonight at 168 lbs. I may try and go a bit lower, I'd like to maybe get into high 150's, but we'll see. Part of this low carb diet I suppose is to know WHEN to stop... ;)

I will say that its GREAT pulling on a pair of 34's when I used to wear 48's... (YIKES), but I've also noted that it takes some work on creating a better self vision of what you look like NOW after losing weight, I still see myself as fat and I'm totally not now, so I have a bit of work to do on that, a good friend is helping me through that part. (remember a good part of dieting/lifestyle change is mental, don't forget to work on that!).

I currently work as a sales consultant in a low carb only store which is pretty ideal (with a 30% discount, gosh that helps, as you all know this stuff isn't cheap) for me. I enjoy helping those who really want it and will listen at least to my opinion on products. My only pet peeve about the job is the use of snack products (and this is a opinion and let me know if I've stepped over the boundries here) full of polyol's. While I appreciate they're low carb nature and the pleasure using them in moderation, IMHO it appears not unlike substituting methadone for heroin for junkies. I say this only because I've honestly rang people up with HUGE amounts of polyol filled products (maltitol, sorbitol, glycerol etc).

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself a bit and hope I havn't stepped on to many toes with my last comments, but IMHO many doing the diet think eating several hundred grams of sugar alcohols every day is low carb'ing it, technically I suppose it is, but I'd have to wonder they're success if they backed off them a bit. Just a opinion of course, worth what you paid for it. :wave:

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAz

Kristine
Wed, Mar-12-03, 08:28
Wow, what a story! Congratulations on your success! :Party: :thup:

Don't worry, your opinion on polyols is more than welcome. You'll probably notice that most 'old-timers' around here recommend that newbies avoid them. :nono: I rarely eat that stuff.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

shannonlea
Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:17
You are one of the GREAT success stories that INSPIRE us all! Keep up the GREAT work and ATTITUDE!

omgiam30
Wed, Mar-12-03, 18:22
Just wanted to extend a "welcome" and thanks for the introduction. Your achievement is awesome and adds inspiration to my journey!! :)