PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol Question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

hansjs
Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:01
For those that have seen lower LDL's and tryglycerides...I was just wondering how long it took to achieve those lower numbers? I have high cholesterol and very high tryglycerides. I take Lipitor for the LDL's, and my Dr. has been talking about putting me on something else to lower my tryglycerides. I am convinced from what I have been reading that hey are both so high, but particularly the tryglycerides due to my carb heavy diet. I really don't want another daily med.

iBelieve
Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:07
After being on Atkins for only six weeks, my numbers were as follows:

LDL went from 232 to 169
HDL went from 50 to 33
Triglycerides went from 176 to 85
Blood pressure dropped from 138/96 to 142/80

I didn't watch my fat or cholesterol intake at all during those weeks, I just followed the induction diet for the most part, maybe adding in small amounts of nuts here and there too.

Not everyone has such fast results in their bloodwork, but alot of people do. Carbs really seem to wreak havoc on alot of people, much more than fat does. How long have you been on Atkins?

edie
Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:11
I've read many, many times on this forum that your triglycerides plummet if you stick to this WOE. Good luck. I think that happens fairly fast, too.

:wave:

hansjs
Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:18
Thanks for the quick replies. I am hoping the tryglycerides drop quicly. Is stands to reason, since they are the measure of fat in your blood....and since I have changed how I eat and metablolize food...they should burn up fairly quickly. Just don't have anything to back it up.

iBelieve
Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:47
I forgot to mention that it might be a good idea to have your doc monitor your cholesterol levels closely! Since you're taking meds for it, you might end up with more problems if your levels drop and you're still taking the meds. You might want to mention that you are doing the Atkins diet to your doc. Some of them are very against it, but some are okay with it. But if your numbers come out great, he can't argue the fact that the diet works! Good luck to you, let us know what happens! :)

Alina
Tue, Mar-11-03, 07:14
Hi,

just wanted post this so you can check it out. It worked for me!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=91699

Good luck to you!
Alina

gardensjoy
Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:33
Here's my lipid stats:

From Nov. to Mar (4 months) cholesterol went from 203 to 158.

Since Jan. 2 to Mar. 5 (2 months) these numbers:
Triglycerides 61 to 71 (up 10?)
HDL 51 to 48 (down 3, because total cholesterol down so much? Ratios were actually better tho.)
LDL 108 to 96 (yes!)
Ratios were 3.3 (chol. to HDL) and 2.0 LDL/HDL)... both in the low range.

I am VERY satisfied with what's happening!! I eat at least 65% fat daily too with many eggs, and people keep warning me that my cholesterol will soar on this "unhealthy diet"!!!

The numbers speak for themselves!!

Cheers,

kjturner
Thu, Mar-13-03, 02:50
Well, not everyone gets such quick results, just to let you know. Mine took nearly a year to significantly change, although the triglycerides and HDL responded within the first 4 months. My LDL remained about the same for about 9 months, then suddenly dropped 33 points. I now run about 200-209 total (LDL about 130), but I expect it to get even better as time goes on. I do eat a lot of eggs, cheese, cream, butter and red meats, and still got my cholesteral to come down. But don't worry if it raises slightly while you are losing, as released fat may temporarily raise the total number, but you should pretty quickly see a change in your 'risk factor' numbers. Just tell the doc "NO" if you don't want to try more meds, after all, it is your decision whether or not to take them. I stuck to my guns and fended my doc off on taking more meds and I'm glad I did.

freydis
Thu, Mar-13-03, 19:03
I started Atkins in March. By June, my triglycerides had dropped over 150 pts. 3 months.