PDA

View Full Version : Starting on Monday, 3/10 - Help!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

rflyman
Sat, Mar-08-03, 13:29
Hello! i'm a newbie! My name is Fran and i'm a 40 year old mom of 3 year old boy/girl twins! I am about to embark on a new low carb adventure and need advice!

Monday is the big day for me. I've logged onto Fitday and although the list is for today, i have inputted what i think i will be having on Monday. When i completed my list, i was shocked to see how much fat i was going to consume. i know this is a new way of eating - low carb, but it's all very intimidating for me. This is what i plan on doing:

AM - scrambled egg with sausage and cheese, 2 cups of decaf coffee - each with 1 packet of splenda and 2oz of half and half (total of 4 oz of hnh)
snack - 1 cup of pork rinds
Lunch - 2 cups of romaine, 3 tbsp of shredded parm cheese, 1 cup of shredded chicken, 3 tbsp caesar dressing
Dinner - 16 oz of porterhouse steak (i put 16 oz because i wanted to list the heaviest amount that would match the list on fitday)

the total:
cal: 2181
fat: 132
carb: 20
protein: 220

i'm hoping that after the first day, i'm not sick of pork rinds, and breakfast and casear salad. It's very difficult for me if i don't plan the day ahead as my work day with commuting is very long (14 hours a day). does this menu seem okay for induction? after the first two weeks, i may add more coffee/half n half - since i'm a coffee addict. decaf is fine for me, i'm not addicted to caffeine.

i really want to make this work and would greatly appreciate any advice. :roll: thank you in advance.

have a great low carb day!!!!!

Lolli-J
Sat, Mar-08-03, 16:11
Hi Fran

All the best on your new journey!

Just a few things. During induction, you are allowed a maximum of 3 oz cheese and 3 oz cream. ( Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've lent my book and can't confirm.) So you need to curtail that. And beware of the ceasar salad dressing! Are you making your own? Remember, ONLY the allowed foods for induction.

Veggies! Add some to your dinner.

I'm not sure about the pork rinds on induction. Anyone?

As far as the fat content goes, your ratios should be around:

5% carbs
65-70% fat
25-30% protien

This seems to be the optimal balance.

Give it your best shot!

Lolli

Kristine
Sat, Mar-08-03, 16:56
Hi Fran!

The casear dressing should be fine, just read the label. Generally, bottled dressings should have less than 2 grams of carbohydrate per 2 Tbsp serving.

Don't forget to alter the steak amount - I doubt it's exactly 16 oz. Fitday defaults to some weird numbers: when you enter dressing, for example, it defaults to a whole cup! :daze:

I would ditch the half and half if I were you. Go with real cream. You'll save some carbs. Also, are you sure you're really putting two fluid ounces of cream in each cup of coffee? A fluid ounce is two tablespoons. I only put about one fluid ounce in, and my coffee is pretty 'blonde'. :) An easy way to measure is with a shot glass.

Anyway, best of luck! That menu looks good.

rflyman
Sat, Mar-08-03, 20:55
Thanks Lollie and Kristine! As much as i would love to use cream, i've actually tried it this weekend with heavy cream, and it tastes too milkly for me - i hate milk! I made a guestimation on the ounces per cup of coffee. i happen to like mine 'blonde' as well and if allowed, would use a boat load of coffeemate! is heavy whipping cream the same as heavy cream? i thought about using that instead. i know you're only allowed to use the 'allowed' foods during induction, but i'm trying to make this interesting enough that i won't fall off the wagon after a day or so. that's my fear. for instance, i know i'm going to get sick of breakfast, but i have a 2 1/2 hour commute to work - each way and i really don't have time to make breakfast. instead i went to sam's club and bought jimmy deans egg, sausage and cheese biscuits. i thought i'd nuke it at work and remove the bread (my co-worker will eat it, she loves bread!). but after a few days, i'll probably be sick of eating the same thing for breakfast, but what other varieties can i do with no time? i'm sure i'm not the only one in this predicament. i guess i'll figure something out.

what other snacks besides pork rinds have no carbs and easy to transport? i'm not a cheese person. i can't eat it straight. it has to be mixed with something!

oh well, wish me luck and thanks again for the replies!

have a great low-carb day!

kampartist
Sun, Mar-09-03, 01:51
Fran good luck on your induction, I understand how time cn be an issue since I work nights mostly.
As far as your diet change the sausage add pepperoni it has a better taste and add mayo increase fat and calories.
Pork rinds you can nuke them with chedder cheese and bag them dip them in sour cream (2 carb on two tablespoons) dilute it with a little water to make it last.
On the salad look for baby lettuce or prepackaged lettuce you will find a low 2 crab count per 1 1/2 cups. Add feta No carbs.
Salad dressings, I use blue cheese(maries) no carbs, and paul newmans 1 Carb in two tablespoons.
As far as the Cream I would dilute it with a little water that should cut the overpowerment of it.
Some snack ideas I do
Pepperoni, cheese, hot dogs(no carbs there out there find them) i fry them in butter and celery salt and add chedder(no carbs) nuke them and dip in mustard.
I eat vienna sausage) 0carbs,.Deviled Ham-0carbs, Spam small can-0carbs, sometimes I do roll ups with lunchmeat(with mayo and cheese) and bag it. Sometimes I bring popcorn shrimp and make my own cocktail a little ketchup and horshradish.
I also bring the new packets of tuna by bumble bee and mix it with mayo and eat it right out of the pouch also the Salmon in a pouch by bumblee.
try to prepare your food ahead of time, take a day. sometimes I make a big batch of chile 4 carbs no beans made especially with porkrinds spicy hot and add chedder.
I also make batches of tuna fish with celery, egg salad,chicken salad,
Well hope this helps. It works for me.
and good luck
Kevin

rirby
Sun, Mar-09-03, 02:14
HI Fran

Welcome aboard I think your really going to love this WOE (after a few days) . just wanted to mention, make sure you read labels! Mayo and dressings often have sugar hiding in them( I like cardini's ceaser) and a lot of lunch meats and bacon have nitrites Dr Atkins says no nitrites. I don't know about the other plans.
Good Luck I'll be looking forward to progress reports
Robyn :wave:

kampartist
Sun, Mar-09-03, 02:41
Interesting Study on Nitrites By the Cancer Web
http://infoventures.com/cancer/canlit/eti1195a.html

MissMuffet
Sun, Mar-09-03, 18:42
What kind of bacon has no nitrates? I read every label in the grocery store tonight. Every one had nitrates and I only found one that wasn't cured with sugar.

Thanks

summer*rai
Sun, Mar-09-03, 19:10
Be sure that you write in your journal...I found that this has helped me more than anything else...and also, the information that is on this channel...Drink your water....eat when your hungry...often nibles is fine to get you through induction...I felt really bad the first week or so because I'm just a plain ole carb junkie...Now I feel the best that I have felt in a long time...

Your third day may be the hardest...so prepare yourself mentally...nibble some protien to help you kick your carb habit...I would also like to remind you that we are not doctors...we are just people that tell you how it has worked for us...

Keep healthy snacks for your children....because if you don't, you may get into their snacks...been there, done that in the past...carrot sticks and slices of fruit are much better than cookies and candy...

Hope your induction turns out great.... :)

nikkil
Mon, Mar-10-03, 06:19
seems like an awful lot of pork rinds ....IMHO. The sodium may make you retain water. Also, after doing this for a few days you'll probably be less hungry and not want them anyway.

Once in a blue moon I put some pork rinds in a large ziploc and microwave them for 1 minute, drizzle melted butter over them and shake on cinnamon and splenda---holy cow, I'm in heaven :D :D Great snack for watching movies with family and
they're all eating popcorn. It tastes best when it's warm.

Best wishes to you, and just take it one day at a time...one hour at a time...one minute at a time!

N.