PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol levels = plaque buildup??

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

iBelieve
Fri, Mar-07-03, 16:13
This is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask anyway. ;)

Does a person's cholesterol readings directly reflect the amount of arterial plaque buildup they have (or will have if things continue as they are)?

This is my second time on Atkins, and I'm finding that I have to eat alot more fat this time around to keep losing. I don't mind the taste, that's for sure! ;) But I'm afraid that all this fat will have a detrimental effect in the long run.

At my last Dr. visit (which was six weeks after I started Atkins the last time), my readings were fantastic (LDL went from 232 to 169, HDL went from 50 to 33 - that one's not that great - Triglycerides went from 176 to 85, and blood pressure dropped from 138/96 to 142/80). Doc was very pleased. I'm assuming that since I'm back on lowcarb, my readings will be similar in April when I go again. (hoping anyway!)

But back to my question - if my cholesterol readings are low, does that mean that I'm not building up any plaque in my arteries, regardless of the amount of fat I'm eating? Or can a person have low readings and still end up needing a quadruple bypass twenty years later?

Thanks for any help you and give me! :)

iBelieve
Sun, Mar-09-03, 05:51
Okay, I guess it really was a stupid question! Maybe I will ask my doctor in April. Maybe not. Thanks anyway. ;)

edie
Sun, Mar-09-03, 06:29
Actually I will be curious myself to hear what you learn. When you do find out, could you drop me a post in my journal and let me know, please? Would be much appreciated! The question isn't stupid, probably just hard to answer if not a DR. Thanks in advance.

:wave:

Lisa N
Sun, Mar-09-03, 07:28
Wendy..

You may find the link to this thread interesting: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72986

You may also find the link to this website helpful: www.thincs.org

More and more studies are showing that there is very little correlation between total cholesterol levels and heart disease and total cholesterol levels are a very poor predictor of future cardiac events. Doctors can't explain how someone can have normal or below normal cholesterol levels and still have heart disease. It's now thought that triglycerides and c-reactive protein are better markers.

HTH!

Paleoanth
Sun, Mar-09-03, 07:59
I don't have any kind of definitive answer for you. All I can tell you is that my doctor seems to be more interested in my HDL/LDL ratio, my HDL level and my triglicerides. He seems way less concerned about my total cholesterol level.

My doctor also has email. I have emailed him a question or two between visits. Why don't you do that? I bet you can call his office and get his email address or get him to call you back. That way you won't have to wait until April.

slack32
Sun, Mar-09-03, 11:31
The ratio is important. But even if the ratio is okay and the numbers are still high, I would be concerned. It is a whole package deal. Good luck!

iBelieve
Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:36
Thanks for the input you guys! And the links, I will definitely check those out. My ratio wasn't that great, since the HDL dropped along with the LDL. But the triglycerides were great, so maybe that helps. I will check more into it and let you know what I find out! :)

zoochef
Thu, Mar-13-03, 11:18
Hi Wendy,

I don't think your question is stupid. I have a doctor's appointment coming up in three weeks and will ask her about it. I was wondering the same thing. I'll try to remember to give you her answer.

:thup: :thup: :thup:

iBelieve
Thu, Mar-13-03, 16:53
Thank you Zoochef, I'd appreciate that! Good luck at your appt. :)

zoochef
Wed, Apr-16-03, 10:23
Hi Wendy,

I had my Doctor's appointment on Monday. Well, she was so pleased with the results of the blood work, especially my blood sugar level, and the positive changes in my cholesterol I forgot to ask her. She was reviewing my blood work for the past year and comparing it to my last blood test. I told her I had only been on the Atkins pPlan for three weeks before the test. She said to stick with it, that was my best results for the past couple of years.

I have to believe that if the bad cholesterol is being lowered that the plaque build up will stop and ultimately with time the arteries will clear up. If you find out please let me know the answer and I will do the same for you.

Hang in there.

zoochef
Fri, Apr-18-03, 05:27
Hi Wendy,

I was just wondering if you were able to get an answer about the plaque build up. It just seems to me that with time on low carb diet that the condition would reverse. When you find out something, please let me know and I'll do the same for you.

Have a safe and Happy easter.

acohn
Tue, Apr-22-03, 17:17
Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor. If what I say conflicts with what your doctor says, do your research and reach your own conclusions.

Does a person's cholesterol readings directly reflect the amount of arterial plaque buildup they have (or will have if things continue as they are)?

I don't understand how it could. As far as I know, only two cholesterol measurements in the standard lipid profile is a direct measurement of anything in serum: total cholesterol and HDL. The rest are calculations. (And technically, the tests measure the amount of packages that carry the cholesterol, not the cholesterol itself.) So, they're not measuring much directly, and nothing at all about the amount of arterial plaque.

Now, for the more important point: Cholesterol does not build up on an artery for no reason at all. The lining of the artery, the endothelium, becomes damaged for any number of reasons, and the body sends a patch of LDL to the damaged spot to cover it. New endothelium grows on top, encapsulating the damage. (At least, that's the way it works in men. I haven't read any research about this mechanism in women, and there's a growing body of evidence suggesting the the mechanisms of heart disease are somewhat different between the sexes.)

If you're not doing things to damage the lining of the arteries -- smoking, causing free radical damage from bad dietary habits -- there's nothing to fix, and the body doesn't need to apply any LDL patches. On the other hand, if you continue to damage the endothelium, the body will continue to lay down LDL patches and new endothelium. This sets the stage for plaque to burst and block arteries. (Again, this is the common mechanism in men.)

I'm afraid that all this fat will have a detrimental effect in the long run.

Bodies need fats: omega-3, omega-6, and yes, saturated (without which the body can't transform omega-3's into the needed end products). Exactly how much fat, and what mix, any one person needs is determined by their inherited metabolic type, and their current health needs. Many low-carbers end up with a 50% fat content in their diet. Personally, my diet is 60-70% fat on any given day, and I've lost about 40 lbs and 12%BF in my first two months on a low-carb diet. Not that I recommend that for everybody, but I wanted to give you an idea of the range that is possible and still healthy (My doctor liked my last lipid profile).

At my last Dr. visit (which was six weeks after I started Atkins the last time)...

That's hardly any time at all. You're imposing a tremendous change on your body. You may need to give it significant time to adjust. I've read of people who's lipid profiles weren't quite right for up to 18 months. Give yourself at least six. Most of your changes are remarkable.

But back to my question - if my cholesterol readings are low, does that mean that I'm not building up any plaque in my arteries, regardless of the amount of fat I'm eating?

No. As stated above, arterial plaque is related to endothelial damage, not the amount of fat in your diet. So, one's cholesterol numbers have little, if any, relation to the buildup of plaque. Since your body is clearly signaling that you need more fat, listen to it.

I also recommend The Cholesterol Myths by Uffe Rasnkov for anyone wanting to know the full extent of brainwashing we've all undergone about cholesterol and heart disease.